1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why not to buy a Fisher

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by robtown, Oct 28, 2015.

1. robtown

robtown Junior Member
    from NJ

If you buy a set of wings for there plows and 1 gets damaged you are SCREWED.
    They will force you to buy a brand new set.
    Everything else for the plow you can get a part for.
    Wings ...no.
    After speaking with there rep and voicing my displeasure they agreed to sell me 1 wing for the convenient price of just below what I paid for the pair.
    I would have had more respect if they just said F U we don't need your business and hung up on me.
    Hope to see them at the shows.

2. John Murphy

John Murphy Senior Member

Robtown, can you send me a PM with your contact info. I'd like to talk to you about this.

Thanks.

John Murphy
    VP, Sales
    Douglas Dynamics

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Same here last year when I touch a curb and the drive side buckled! Was told sorry have to buy a new set!.......I got a whopin' 3 hours of use out of them. I slid a curb going like 1.5mph. Will never buy them again!

4. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure what you guys are doing with these things but I've leaned on mine pretty good at times and I haven't had any problems with mine. Maybe I've been lucky thus far

5. John Murphy

John Murphy Senior Member

I looked into this first thing this morning guys. Not sure why you would have been told the wings are not available individually. Here's a web link that shows the parts lists for the wing kits which clearly show both a passenger and driver's side wing available for service. You'll have to click on whichever wing kit applies to your model of plow - XtremeV or XV2

http://library.fisherplows.com/publications.asp?cat=369

6. capt caper

capt caper Senior Member

Good to see your helping us here John.. Love Fisher stuff.

7. George C

George C Senior Member

Sounds like the OP's dealer doesn't have a clue, or can't read.
    Fisher is the only plow I'll buy, period.

8. kingsr6

kingsr6 Junior Member
    from ON, CAN

I love my Fisher plows, but I have little to no confidence in my local dealers. That is awesome that the VP of Fisher is reading this board and posting as well.

9. robtown

robtown Junior Member
    from NJ

George thank you for your fanboy post. It was truly worthless. I can read. I did have the part number. The dealer was told it was only sold as a set.I did not like that answer so i called fisher and after speaking with a tech at they agreed to sell the dealer the part, and he agreed to sell me the part for $476.00 plus shipping. Since the set only cost $575.00 I felt it was a joke.
    If you read the first post than you would have a clue.

10. robtown

robtown Junior Member
    from NJ

Thank you John for contacting me about this issue.

11. NHresident

NHresident Senior Member

hey robtown I understand your problem SAME deal on a smaller scale with me I tried in the past to buy one push plate and one side intensifier light ON BOTH occasions buying one instead of BOTH in a kit/pair was much more for some reason if u x2 for instance 1 new intensifier light is $180 BUT if I bought the packge id get the 2nd light AND the harness for $50-100 more or the one plate for 360 or a "kit" that has the bolt bag and the 2nd PP for around 185 more HOW that is logical pricing is beyond me ....?

12. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

WOW had I know that I wouldn't have sold the set for peanuts!

13. Classic case of "you can't please everyone". I for one completely understand why plow lights and push plates are sold in pairs. It just doesn't make sense to put those single units on a shelf for the less than 1% of the time they would be sold.
    John Murphy is a regular contributor here and has been for years. It's great that we get the chance to interact with corporate Fisher/DD.

14. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

He was saying that the dealer couldn't read or was clueless, he wasn't referring to you.

But for that price I would have just paid the extra and bought the set if I ended up replacing them. Good to see the VP is trying to make things right it seems.

15. NHresident

NHresident Senior Member

classic case of u don't get it douglas dynamics/fisher puts the prices on parts the local dealer is gonna get their percentage no more no less also most local dealers carry 1/2 of what fisher makes/sells theres no need for the sm local guy to stock one of this one of that letting their money sit on the shelves like one light one push plate ect... IF fisher did the right/logical thing and charged less for one item than 3/5's to buy the set people could save some hard earned money on a replacement parts We could order the part at the local dealer and they could get it from fisher INSTEAD of us the consumer having to decide the rock and a hard place decision do we as buyers knowingly pay more for one of the pair items OR do we buy the set with 1/2 of which we don't need AND OUR MONEY/non needed item of the set sits on the our shelf which I think is crap

16. SNOWANDICEMAN

SNOWANDICEMAN Senior Member

John Murphy is a class act, he tells it like it is, and is there all the time for everyone not just for a few customers he stands by his products and helps everybody out. The snow plowing and sanding business whishes it had move John Murphy's around that cares like he does. John Murphy I class act.
    THANK YOU
    SNOWANDICEMAN

17. George C

George C Senior Member

Haha, I had to laugh at his over reaction to something that wasn't there.
    I guess "he" can't read either.. Must run in the area he's from.

At least someone has more than a third grade education in basic language comprehension.
    Thanks for explaining that to him.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  18. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

I honestly have no idea what you're saying. Can you use some punctuation please? Seriously, I actually am following this thread and want to know what you mean.

19. Live free or die.....

20. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Passed my college English classes with A's, Thumbs Up mostly because I am good at BS'ing essays.