1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why Not Diesel For SnowPlowing?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Lawn Care Plus, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Lawn Care Plus

Lawn Care Plus Senior Member

I am looking at buying a new diesel truck for pulling my tractor, but would like to put a plow on it.

It seems as though the new trucks do not come with snow prep package, and the manufacturers are saying that gas trucks are better to plow with than diesel. Is this true or false?

If true, why?

2. kuryssnow5

kuryssnow5 Member

the hardest thing about the diesel is that the engine allready weighs alot and then putting a plow on the front end put even more weight on on it and will go over the weight rating for the front axel. i would check with your local snowplow dealer and see if they can even put a plow on the truck you are looking at. but you should beable to put a snow prep on all trucks because i driven by a few dealers and they got plows on diesel trucks for sale brand new
  3. LAB INC

LAB INC Senior Member

Hey I Think It Should Be Fine To Put A Plow On It I Have Plows On All My Fords That Are Psd Never Had One Thing Wrong But I Would Ask The Dealership And The Plow Shop To See What They Say About It.
  4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

It depends on how big of a plow you want for it due to the diesels weighing so much more than a gas engine. But power wise, ther is no comparison-Diesel's have all kinds of low end torque which is great for plowing and good on fuel when plowing. I know Ford has a snow plow prep package for their diesel's, its a bigger altenator and a set of 5600lb front springs. If you have the money for a diesel, I would lean that way just don't go for a 9ft V blade and you should be ok. And I know some of you guys would run them but if I spent 40k on a new truck I wouldn't want to spend tons of money replacing front end parts after the 3/36 warranty is up.
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Then the mfg's are idiots.

The added weight while creating more wear will actually help with plowing. Little known fact that weight is a close second in importance to power when plowing.

They are more fuel efficient, they create more torque at lower RPM's, which is what you want when plowing or towing-torque, not HP, longer lasting, less maintenance. There's a few reasons why I would and do buy diesels.

Not sure about the other mfg's, but Ford increased most of their GVW's in '05, so there are a lot more options for plows on diesels. They are really only 'restricted' when you have an extended or crew cab, but that is based on loading up the cab with people while still having the plow mounted, which I have yet to see.

So Brian, I shouldn't have an 8611 LP on my 350? Front end parts are a crap shoot with plow trucks, they all wear out.
  6. Brian Young

My point was the added weight of a diesel is bad enough on a set of ball joints that are the same ball joints under a gas engine, then adding another 900+lbs...I'm just saying why would you want to shorten the life of components when you don't have to. I didn't say he couldn't put a plow on it, I guess I was implying some guys tend to buy a plow that are overkill for some trucks.
  7. Mark Oomkes

Right, it might be overkill, but the name of the game is efficiency and production. If I can get 30% more work done with a Power Plow or Vplow, then it is worth the extra expense of a set of ball joints over the life of the truck. I have gone through 3 sets of ball joints on my trucks, 1 at 78K, 1 at 56K and another at 19K, all different trucks, all different plows. There's Ford owners losing them at 15 or 20K that never plow.

Using your theory, I would want to use the lightest plow I can find that will cover my tire tracks, so maybe an 8' at the most. Even then, there is no guarantee on the front end. Know your costs going into plowing and make sure you recover them.
  8. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 2004 F-250 PSD with a 7'6" Boss w/ wings for a total width of 9'4" and 750 pounds. Have no problems loading the plow and spreader on it. Along with about 2000 pounds of salt in the back....:rolleyes:
  9. winged1dur

winged1dur Senior Member

Why do you assume that Ford designs the front end for a gas engine then throws the heavy diesel engine in? The automatic tranny in all Super dutys was built specifically to handle the torque of the PSD so it can easily handle the gas engines. I think the entire drivetrain is built to handle the weight and power of the PSD so the gas engines are an afterthought. Surely a man with your fine taste in plows would agree!
  10. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like the dealer would rather sell you a gas than a diesel but something tells me it's for their benefit not yours!!!
  11. Brian Young

Well the Ford new truck book I looked at had or at least didn't say anything different about the front end for a diesel vs. a gasser. I asked several Ford mechanics before I bought our 06 gasser if there is a difference and the 5 I asked said there is no difference. Ive been a Ford mechanic for years and I really don't recall any differences also, I work on cop cars all day now but when I work for a bigger Ford dealership I don't recall any differences either.Look I'm not trying to get into some stupid argument, put a 25ft plow on your truck, I DONT CARE! But when the warranty expires and your whining about paying $1300.00 for a new front end don't say I didn't say so. Yeah parts can fail at any point but why would you invite problems to occur over a plow thats a few inches wider.
  12. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Count me in along with all the other happy diesel plowers.

I'll never go back to gas.
  13. rush

rush Member

:eek: give it time...we will all have to plow snow with electric trucks in 10 years :eek:
  14. dentman

dentman Junior Member

I looked into a new plow setup from Boss... they dont recommend plowing with a diesel:dizzy: If it doenst have the plow prep package. Im in the car business, and asked 7 or 8 people in parts, sales and service and the only description we could find with regard to Chevy's plow prep package is that it comes with "green keys" which are higher range torsion bar pins, skid plates and a larger alternator for the additional power draw. Since 2500/3500 series trucks are both torsion setups, there is no way to add stiffer springs.... additionally since the diesels come prepackaged with 2 batteries and a HUGE alternator I figure it should be okay.. except for the prementioned front end wear which is a mystery regardless of what you have hanging on the front of the truck!!!

Hey Brian_Young Im down in pittsburgh, you up near Erie??
  15. db27

db27 Member

diesel trucks

Seems the local dealers here in ma have 10-15 new gaser trucks to 1 diesel :realmad: .So the dealer will be pushing the gas trucks over the diesel trucks to get rid of them.Go with a diesel if you can afford one payup
  16. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

I have plowed with both gas and Diesel. Lost a set of Ball Joints at 12k on a gas, and 15k on the diesel. Both suck when you gotta fix them. but for performance, definately go diesel. If I could afford it I would too!!!
  17. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Diesel guy here...put extra counter weight behind the center line of the rear axial...If your worried about the ball joints
  18. ???

If anyone is worried about front end failure associated with plowing. I think you are in the wrong business. I personally do not own a plow truck and never will. But a diesel truck will always be worth the extra cash over a gas trucks. Good luck....
  19. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Diesel, Diesel, Diesel. This is my first year plowing with one, I've only plowed with it once and im sold. I plowed 8-12 inches of very very heavy Buffalo snow during our recent storm. There is no way a gasser would have plowed the lots I did. The torque and extra weight are what it's all about!!
  20. Mark Oomkes

ProWorkz, I was thinking along the same lines, but I figured I would initally argue the other points.