1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why not a SB/SC Plow Truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by POWERBAND, Oct 24, 2005.

1. POWERBAND

POWERBAND Member

Slightly OT - Personal/Commercial plowing

Here in the rural N.E. I see a lot of people prepping their personal plow vehicle, the venerable K10 Shortbed/standard cab. The SB/SC K10 has been the favored vehicle for farm, business and rural homeowner for generations. While not a HD truck, the personal use 1/2 ton shortbed with plow is very popular with the rural home and farm owner. A lot of commercial operators also use a Shortbed K10 for tight drives and parking pad clearing .

I went to replace my '86 K10 SB/SC plow truck that was past reasonable repair and was told Chevy and the other full size truck mfg's don't make a Shortbed / Standard cab suitable for a plow. I was told the Chevy warranty would be void on any truck without the "plowprep" package. Since then I understand Chevy now will not put the plowprep on any 1/2 ton.
    The plow mfg's build suitable light plow setups for 1/2 tons and I did put a standard duty 7.5' plow on a new 1/2 ton Shortbed/StdCab silverado but technically this will void warranty.

No wonder GM and the other US truck builders can't get out of their hole, they sem to be systematically eliminating the large amount of buyers needing traditional use WORK vehicles and concentrating on over-optioned, high priced commuter vehicles which provide greater profit per vehicle but don't meet the needs of a large population of rural consumers needing a WORK truck.

Powerbandpumpkin:

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

i would have to agree with you PB, we ran 1/2 ton SB/SC with the 4.3 vortec V6 with 8' fronts and 7.5 rear blades for years and never had a problem. Ran almost 2 times longer on a tank of fuel than the 350's in the exact same truck. Half of the problem comes from the genreal public that has no idea what a truck is for (i want it to ride like a car) and the other half comes from the govt and the darn fuel rating and crash ratings. But the makers have us by the *****, we can only buy it the way they build it, not the way we want them to and we sure arent going to quit buy them.

3. rico

rico Member

I have a 2002 Chevy short box regular cab with the plow package. I am running a 7.5 Western Pro. Just make sure you add the Timberns. I use this truck for about 20 residential drives.