1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why not a jeep cherokee

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by snow problem, Feb 6, 2008.

1. snow problem

snow problem Senior Member

I was wondering why so many guys want to spend so much more for a wrangler to plow sonw with then a cherokee. I know all about the un-boidy thing, but how many you guys that plow with a cherokee have had a problem with the frame or lack of frame. I think my cherokee plows great, but it does have it limitations, all of which i would think are the same for the wrangler. So what is the the benift to spending the extra money of a wrangler. I could think of several benfits of the cherokee.

2. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

I think my Cherokee is a great plow truck. It out performs my FS GMC pickup. I can get in many more tight spaces than the PU could ever imagine. I only plow driveways and I think the Cherokee is a good compromise vehicle for this. My logon name is JeepTJ, because I almost bought a new (2006) Wrangler Unlimited after I joined this site. I decided not to get the TJ for many reasons and ended up settling in on the XJ (plus the XJ was 1/3 the cost of the TJ payup). I haven't had any issues with the unit body. The Jeep has held up great. Now if I can only say the same thing about the front axle (D30):eek:....

Fran

3. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

Don't worry about the D30 up front......worry about the D35 in the rear.

The D30, with alloy shafts will put up with 35" tires, no problem. The D35 in the rear is famous for grenading with stock tires.

4. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Last year was my first year in the snow biz and I bought a 89' Jeep Cherokee and put a 6.5 Western on it. it was a nice starter for me so easy to maneuver around cars and plow driveways. I sold it and now have my 95' chevy silverado k2500 being the fact that I took on five times the accounts as last year I had to get larger equipment, I still wish I had that Cherokee as part of my fleet. I would take a Cherokee with a 6.5 foot blade over a wrangler any day. Mike

5. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

Not in my XJ!!!! I have the ChryCo 8.25, 29 spline in the rear:D

My goal is to put in a set of Alloy USA shafts in the D30. Unfortunately, they're still in CA waiting to be shipped:cry: I had to pull out the inner shafts so I could use the XJ as my DD. It sucks plowing in one wheel drive (no locker in the rear, just the front):angry: You can only do so much with studded snow tires. Ever since the DS front u-joint/yoke blew apart a week ago, we've had 3 plowable storms and another on the way tonite. It just hasn't been any fun.

This was one of the things I was looking for (not to have), when I bought the XJ.

Fran

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  6. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

Nice thread, I want to put a Hiniker plow on my '99 Jeep Cherokee, so I'll be watching this one closely.

7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Why the TJ over the XJ If you think the XJ is maneuverable and can get into tight places try the TJ. on 3 car garages and some 2 car garages I dont back drag... I plow left to right in front of the garage. and I can push a 7 1/2 fisher RD full of snow up hill. its just like the XJ but MORE maneuverable. I have 3 driveways with circles that you will not be able to plow with your XJ (and theypayup for it) I alone can keep 76 customers happy that means morepayup.

8. theplowmeister

from MA

Why haven't you put some shafts in!?. Just because your waiting for good ones does'nt mean you cant put in some from a junk yard so you can plow and make payup

9. cherokeeman

cherokeeman Member

im with you all the way jeep tj

ussmileyflagussmileyflagussmileyflagive plowed for many years i used to be a mechanic for a college here in mass ive driven bachoes dump trucks kubota tractors also 1 ton pickups heavy loaders i must say that my 96 cherokee with a 7 foot plow streight six 4 litre impresses me the most been plowing with it for 7 years now i installed a 4 inch skyjacker lift to it i cant possibly see how the cj has any advantage over my cherokee i read some of these posts where people plowing with the cj 5 speed manual trans i dont know about you but after a big storm im spent with my automatic ive done nothing to beef up diffs front and rear all stock drivetrain have more power than i know what to do with im with you on this one jeep tj

10. Kunker

Kunker Member

Wranglers have frames...what more reason do you need? I'd hate to support a couple hundred pounds of a plow and all the stress of plowing by some fancy bends in sheetmetal, but that's just my opinion.

11. snow problem

snow problem Senior Member

Thanks for your opinion, but how many people do you that have damaged their cherokee's plowing. Is the wrangler heavier than the cherokee, I don't think so, I can't see spending the extra money for the wrangler not to mention the better ride the cherokee has when your not plowing.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Not that I feel the Cherokee lacks anything need to plow snow. Some people claim it has better off-road ability and manners then a standard production Wrangler. However; visibility would be the greatest determent to its replacing the king of production driveway snow movers: The Wrangler, in all its configurations in particular the CJ5, although the FCJ could be king had it been more popular

You think your TJ is maneuverable, try a CJ5 with a three speed.:nod:

13. theplowmeister

from MA

That maybe true but the CJ is just to caveman for me:)

I've gotten soft in my old age. I like rear window defrost, wiper and ac drying the defroster, Vent heat that I can point at the rear side windows and the ride of the coil springs (after plowing for 12 hours I'm fatigued enough, I can't imagine sitting in a CJ for 12 hours) and the stronger TJ frame, Fuel injection.... the list goes on.

My business is to important for it to rely on a 23 year old platform.

14. theplowmeister

from MA

Actual the 91 wrangler weighs #100 MORE than the 91 Cherokee:nod:

15. cherokeeman

cherokeeman Member

hey kunker ive seen with my own eyes full chasis frames crack due to plowing have never heard about unabodys haveing any problems ive been plowing with my 96 cherokee 4 litre 7 foot blade for 7 years now had to modify my plow because of plow frame cracks i must have added atleast double the weight to the dam thing i have had no problems at all with my unabody frame who knows my frame is probobly stronger than the solid frame if thers anybody out there who has dammaged thier unabody frame let me know i know its not impossible but there a very strong platform from my point of view

16. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

I plow with a Commanche which is also unibody just like the cherokee... The only thing that I don't like is when I raise the plow when its heavy with snow or stuck to the ground I can hear the poor jeep cracking and popping all over the place, especially around the windshield. I've also seen some older plow XJ's with the front part of the "frame" bent down and fatigued from plowing... I also owed a 2000 Cherokee a few years that was just a daily driver but I did take it camping and that whole thing flexed and twisted on mild trails... If you stopped on a twisty part of the trail and open the doors or rear hatch you couldn't close them until you were on even ground. and that was on an almost new Jeep with under 30,000 miles... After that XJ I got a 99 Grand cherokee, WJ, and that unibody was very strong and didn't flex or twist at all, you could park with the suspension all crossed up and all the doors opened and shut perfectly... I know people that have turned old XJ's into hard core off road Jeeps and after a few seasons of wheeling spot welds started popping and stress cracks appeared around parts of the body...

17. cherokeeman

cherokeeman Member

ihave owned a 89 comanchee years ago with a 6 and a half foot plow i loved that thing wish i never sold it i never had the body twist and no problems with my windshield mo veing around as far as my cherokee i have no problems with my doors comming apart it sounds to me like you bought your jeeps being built on a monday or friday if you use common sence while operating these vehicles you should never have these kinds of problems must admit theres times where i really have to beat the hell out of it but im smart about how i handle it if you carelessy abouse these vehicles of cource you will run into problems so many people with plows few know how to properly use them 2 storms ago i laughted my ass off seen a duell wheel chevy plowing the middle lane clearing snow that guy or kid was going so fast his plow was jumping almost as hight as his hood banging up and down with sparks flying everywhere not to mention he left a huge mess behind him the whole way you wouldnt be one of these guys would you cocco78

18. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

I don't think i'm one of those guys, i'm pretty easy on my stuff... I have my trip spring a little loose so the plow trips a little easier to give the old uni-body a brake. Every cherokee i've ever been in suffered from unibody flex, from 20k miles on the odo to 200k miles, I owned a 2000 and bought it with under 30,000 miles. Try putting down a rutted 2 track road or crossing a washout and flexing up the suspension, stop, jump out and try and operate the rear hatch. It has nothing to do with mondays, fridays, or common sense, XJ's uni-body has some flex to it, its pretty common knowlege in the Jeep circle. But I guess most people wouldn't take a Cherokee down a rutted road, so maybe I have less common sense, but I don't beat on my stuff... I moved up to a 99 WJ Grand Cherokee after the XJ and the uni-body had zero flex, these were made much better than the XJ's. Now my Comanche is an 88, and has 250,000 miles on it, and has been in michigan winters every year since 1988. The uni-body is stressed, it creaks and groans...

19. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

My Plow Cherekee with 257,000 miles on it creaks and groans a little.

But at 55 I do too....

Great plow vehicle and would never be with out one again...

20. cherokeeman

cherokeeman Member

cocco 78 i must appauligise my last note to you was a bit snippy i still havent seen any unabody problems my wife ownes a 1998 grand cherokee we love it but we always had tranny issues when her jeep was cold the tranny would occassionally slip you gave it gas but nothing would happen for a split second than catch when the tranny was hot it would bang after each shift cycle i took her jeep to 3 tranny shops they plugged thier computer in under the dash each place came up with no codes i was pissed off because we had a 30 day warrentee i was hopeing to get it rebuilt and end these problems once and for all the tranny shops told me the same story we had a dodge tranny and the jeeps were not the only vehicles with this problems they told me it was the nature of the beast he said the dodge dakotas had the same problems ect her jeep at the time had 89 thousand miles on it so i had the fluid and filter replaced with no diffrence in performance so we lived with it my 1996 cherokee 4 litre inline six is a completely diffrent animal i have never had any tranny issues its lower geared a very strong little jeep these cherokees were made to work hard in the summer months i haul a good sized trailer my brother ownes a construction co i hauled his kubota 22 hundred series tracter on that trailer i was talking about the tractor is small with a bachoe on it but it was heavey for my jeep i had no problems as far as pulling it my jeep pulled it like nothing i have a 4 inch skyjacker lift in it the rest of my jeep did not like it one bit braking could have been better my rear leaf springs failed big time believe me i was takeing it slow my rear leaf springs that came with the skyjacker kit were junk to begin with i still have no flex problems guess im lucky hope your making money out there good luck cherokeeman