1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why not a Dodge?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by jomofo, Apr 30, 2008.

1. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

I need the truck to plow about 300" of snow off 1/2 mile road and 150 yard driveway for the next 20-25 years. I think GMC trucks are the best available, but taking the Dodge Lifetime Powertrain and MaxCare coverage, I should be able to replace the major components multiple times without incurring any significant charges for a long, long time. I have this coverage on my jeep KK and the list of items not covered amounts to a paragraph of consumables; brakes, clutch, tires, wheels, a few interior items... everything else is warrentied. The coverage matches the 3/36 until the repairs cost more than the value of the jeep. It also includes a replacement vehicle during repairs. I can get exactly the same coverage on a Ram 3500 dually for $2300. Granted - I'd probably need to upgrade the replacement vehicle...

There's nothing about my use of the truck which would be in violation of the warrenty - I won't be using the truck professionally or anything like that. I realize I would have to get the 5.7 with either a 5spd or the 545RFE that they put in the Commander - don't think I would be trying to screw around with the jeep tranny. Wish to hell they could lifetime warrenty the cummins with the new 6-auto...

Sorry, rambling... What do you guys think? I have to ask you all because I know you guys like GMC which is what I would be buying were it not for the ridiculous warrenty. Thanks.
  2. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Dont forget. The lifetime warranty does NOT apply to diesels. Also, a plow might void that warranty, although I am not sure. I think as long as it was factory preped, I.E. the snow commander package, it should be fine.. Ask around at your dealer.
  3. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

dodge cant warrenty the cummins because not of ppl plowing but because of most of the hick farmers that NEVER service their vehicle at the dealer or do any work to them at all unless they wont run or wont move. as far as the hemi and the hemi trans, for all the truck i see at work35-50 cars per day for the past 3 years the worst ive see on a hemi was a bad cat (engine wise) and trans wise was a front pump, thats it. the hemi is an amazing engine. and yea the new 6.7 is great but the only catch with the lifetime warrenty you have to be the orig owner and you need to have it inspected i think once every 5 years
  4. Chevy03dump

Chevy03dump Member

I don't believe the vehicle can be used commercially, to have the lifetime warranty. Better check 1st to see if this applies to you.
  5. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Is the Lifetime Warranty available on 3/4ton trucks now ?
    Make darn sure a plow wont void the warranty as well, most manufacturers dont allow plows on any of there 1/2 ton trucks.
    The Hemi is a great power plant, not exactly a great work vehicle engine, but what small block offered now is ?

If you can afford a New truck to plow your own drive why not just get a GMC ? At least the front ends are just like a car, so they ride like one as well. Perfect for a weekend warrior....
  6. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

t-man yes they ahve teh 3/4 and 1 ton truck lifetime warrenty, just when it has a cummins the truck is excluded. and pretty sure it wont void the warrenty its pretty much up to the dealers discresion as far as if the accessory caused the failure. ie plow and say excessivly worn axle u-joints.
  7. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Was looking at the Dodge for the warrenty... But, having realized that the cummins is the engine I would have to buy, I'm looking into longterm warrenty on that setup. Also prefer the solid axle... Those GMC's do drive nice though. But I'm going to beat up on this truck some... Really just want it to go and go and go and go...