1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

why no lights?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MATTHEW, Jul 14, 2001.

1. MATTHEW

MATTHEW Member
    from NE OHIO

I have no brake lights at all! The fuse is good, the bulbs are good. The wires look good. Why do I have parking lights but no tail lights (or trailer lights)?

2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I'd bet on a bad brake light switch for that problem and a bad (or no) ground on the trailer connector.

3. MATTHEW

MATTHEW Member
    from NE OHIO

I'll check out the ground, but where would a brake light switch be found?

4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The switch is up under the dash, mounted right on the brake pedal. It's a "pin switch". You can try unplugging it, and jumping the connectors. If the lights work, the switch is your problem.
    There is also a ground for each tail light behind each tail light housing. I have yet to find any that are not rusty, and in need of being cleaned up, or having new terminals put on. Don't be shocked by how much rust is behind the light housings.

~Chuck

5. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I need a bit of clarification here. When you say you have parking lights I too that to mean that the taillight filaments were working, as they come on with the parking lights. But then you say you have NO taillights. Do you mean no tail lights or no brake lights? If you have taillights but no brake lights that would rule out bad grounds on on the taillight assemblies. If you have no rear lights at all then the grounds are definately a possibility.

6. MATTHEW

MATTHEW Member
    from NE OHIO

Yes on the tail lights. No on the brake lights. Now I did make one mistake when checking the fuses. I checked the one marked "brake" and not the one marked "stop" Sure enough, the fuse was popped. I changed it-still no brake lights. Grounds look good. I'm stumped. Hate to take it to a dealer. I just know it is something very simple. I'll just drive the Ford until I get it right. Thanx.

7. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Something you might want to check, is how the trailer plug is wired in. If it was wired in using those "quick splice" connectors, it's possible that there is a break in the wire. Those quick splice connectors cut the wire insulation, and often the wire as well. Especially if the trailer plug gets tugged on a lot.

If the trailer plug is installed using a T connector, unplug it, and check for corrosion.

~Chuck

8. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

I think the brake light switch is your problem. I had the same problem w/ a 1994 Chevy 3/4 ton. ED

9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I had the same problem myself, it was the master fuse under the hood. Check the fuse block near the master cylinder, open the top, and look for the fuses about 1" wide.
    Dino

10. MATTHEW

MATTHEW Member
    from NE OHIO

lights!

Well I guess we can finally close this thread. The problem was that 1" long fuse in the box. I even looked past it when I replaced the brake relay(which was a waste) I found the fuse was burnt out,replaced it, and voila-brakes! Thanks, guys.

11. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The only reason I knew what it might be was the fact that it happened to me, and I had it fixed under warranty. LOL At least they were able to fix that problem in one trip, with everything else it takes at least 3 trips to the dealer to get it right.
    Dino

12. Chuck Smith

from NJ

If I am not mistaken, one of those large fuses controls the actuator for the front axle, when you shift into 4wd. My buddy had a 93 1500 series, that liked blowing that fuse when he was out plowing.

~Chuck

13. MATTHEW

MATTHEW Member
    from NE OHIO

Yeah- I thought that was for the ABS or something.
    By the way, what does LOL stand for. I've been up nights trying to figure it out.:confused:

14. bummerkit

bummerkit Member

laugh out loud. it took me a while too.