1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why no HD75 on a Ram 1500?

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by DodgeRam1985, Dec 31, 2012.

1. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

Truck: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500, 4x4, 5.2L, Reg Cab, Long Bed.

Anyone know why they not recommend their HD75 series plow for this truck?

Fisher recommends either their HT or SD plow (SD is 487 lbs + mounting bracket weight), Meyers DrivePro is 575 lbs + bracket weight). The Snowdogg HD75 is 680 lbs + bracket weight. I find it hard to believe that basically 105 lbs is putting it over the top of what this truck can handle, but I will respect that capacity.

My reasoning for wanting to go up to the HD75 from the MD75 is two factors. 1 - the MD is shorter than the HD in height, and while I'm not trying to stack snow to create a second Mount Everest, I am a little concerened with how well I'm going to be able to pile up the snow. 2 - it appears from photos that if I want the lights to stick up higher I will be left fabricating my own extension brackets for them to raise them up (as I have seen done in other posts), they almost appear to be low enough that if the blade is raised completely that the blade itself will block the lights.

I did notice that on their "plow match" system that you can't enter in all of the details about this truck, and I'm wondering since it is an older truck, if they just don't have all of their data entered to into the system, so they just kick out the MD75 and MD80 as "generic results". Any thoughts? Thanks!
  2. mgt379

mgt379 Junior Member
    from CT

I was wondering the same thing?
  3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Your truck will handle the plow and you can buy one for it and install yourself, but the company can't recommend it for liability reasons as it is probably over the trucks front axle capacity.

My VX95 is too "big" for my truck but Im on my second season with it and love it.
  4. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

Plow selector has it available on the nxt gen Dodge trucks... MD75, MD80, and HD75

I would go with what Plowguy said....

5. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

If you really wanted to, you could go with the 8 foot and just put 3/4 ton coils in the front. There's a few 90's Ram 1500s here with 8' Fisher MM1s, and those suckers were heavy.