1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why No Fisher Full Trip Plows?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by plowguy43, Mar 8, 2013.

1. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

With the introduction of "18 new" plows to the Fisher Lineup - consisting mostly of Box plows, and an updated XV (new hinge/flared wings) - I started wondering why Fisher does not come out with a Full Trip Blade Plow?

Before you say it - yes I know about Western and I know about Blizzard - which makes it even easier to incorporate a full trip plow into the Fisher lineup.

Why should they? In my opinion some people prefer a Full Trip over a Trip Edge plow, and this simple fact alone pushes them to look elsewhere (Boss). But some people will buy a Fisher simply because its a Fisher and a full trip plow may be something that would keep some customers from switching to Red (the bad red, not the good red) or other companies looking for their next plow option.

It just seems to me that a full trip Fisher would help round out the lineup.

Whats your take?
  2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Fisher had made their name with the trip edge plow.

And yes, with DD owning Blizzard and Western, there is really no reason to make a fisher a full trip.

3. plowguy43

I figured that would be a response but I know many many people that would never stray from Fisher and/or consider a Blizzard plow.

Many people who buy a Fisher do so because of its reputation and preference. They also prefer the simple Minute Mount 2 setup over other options. A guy with a Chevy/Ford/Dodge truck already setup for a Fisher MM is more likely to stay with a Fisher (saves money and hassle of removing and installing new parts) - if they prefer a Full Trip, it'd be nice to have Fisher as an option.

Its the same as a Die hard Ford/Chevy/GM fan walking into a car dealership looking for a new truck. Maybe this time they want a Diesel rather than gas - its nice to have the option since they likely won't look at the other 2 brands.
  4. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

He has a point. I can imagine where a full-trip would have saved my moldboard a few times over the years. Maybe a Western Pro Plow on a Fisher headgear. DD, you listening?
  5. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Do you happen to recall GM?

The lineup they had: Chevrolet, Pontiac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Cadillac, GMC,, etc, etc, etc, ad nauseum. All basically the same cars with a few different features.

Do you know the recent history of GM, the losses, the bailout, the reduction of product lines--as in not offering the same product under 13 different names?

Even FoMoCo and Chrysler\Daimler\Fiat\Whatever have eliminated offering the same vehicle with 8 different names.

Very simple: Economics and the reason any business is in business: to make a profit.

If one is that brand blinded (ignorant) then tough luck.
  6. plowguy43

My thinking exactly - pretty simple to take a pro-plow and toss on a fisher headgear.

I get your point but this is a much lesser extent. In regards to your point - Why offer a Blizzard PP, Western Wideout, and Fisher XLS? Why offer a Blizzard Speedwing and introduce the Western Prodigy? Why continue with full Trip straight blade Westerns when you have Blizzard straight blade full trip blades? Variety, choice, and brand preference.

Nearly every other plow company (outside of DD) offers a Full Trip and Trip Edge option.

In regards to brand bias, it runs rampant in this industry and market share is gold. I live in the state where Fisher was born and is still built, yet over the past few years I've been seeing a lot more Red and stainless plows in this area.
  7. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Blizzard has a different mount for the PowerPlow.

Western Wideout articulates.

FIsher XLS is a trip edge design.

All are different.

The Prodigy also articulates, so it is different than a SpeedWing.

I believe a Western straight blade will articulate as well. And it has a different hitch than a Blizzard.

So none of them are the same, 100%. They all have different features that separate them, more than a nameplate and a different grill\tail lights, to use the GM analogy.
  8. plowguy43

Honestly your reaching on those differences. Main differences is the Blizzard is a direct lift, the Western is a Chain lift, and the Fisher is a Chain/trip edge.

Speedwing/Prodigy - chain vs direct lift.

I'm sure the "articulating" is one of the last things people consider when buying one over the other. I think the biggest thing people look at is dealer support in their area and what is a popular brand, along with what you know and trust for a brand.

I definitely appreciate your viewpoint on this because it was all things I was thinking about last night, but in reality, variety is what will keep customers coming back to an equipment company like Fisher.

I mean - why build Box pushers?
  9. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Personally I'm glad Fisher doesn't make a full trip plow. I love the trip edge design and would never buy a full trip blade. I've used westerns, blizzards, and boss and I don't care for any of them but that's just my opinion.
  10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Because they have a trip edge. If you want to sell plows in Maine/NH/MA you have to have a trip edge.
  11. plowguy43

I can't honestly believe every other manufacturer makes trip edge plows just for the New Hampshire mass and Maine customer base. That sounds like a horrible business decision.
  12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Why? It's a large customer base that demands a trip edge. It's not like it is a major design exercise, the only thing that needs to change is the moldboard.
  13. plowguy43

I understand that I guess, but I can't imagine this is the only area that people prefer a trip edge.
  14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Read Fisher's "Plowing Though The Storm" very interesting read might surprise you how little you know about Fisher, the history of Fisher and Western and their marketing strategies. The Northeast area had few choices for years, Western did not market in the Northeast, Fisher did not market in the mid-west, Meyer was pretty much limited to the Ohio valley and Boss, Blizzard, Snoway, and Curtis didn't exist. If your Daddy drove a Chevy, liked big tits, football and Beer, good odds you will too, so it stands to reason if your Dad (uncle, grandfather,etc) pushed a Fisher good chance you will too. Big Fisher selling feature....Trip Edge, so untill very recently if you want to compete against Fisher in New England you need a trip edge. Trip edges also sell well in areas with a lot of gravel roads, they deal with protruding rocks better that a full trip and their IMO inferior scrape (when compared to a full trip) isn't an issue in the gravel.

Meyer bought Diamond (inventors of the Vee blade they just never patented it:dizzy:) just to have a trip edge to complete in ME/MA/NH.
  15. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Do what you do well, and do a lot of it. Thats a recipe for success. Fisher does trip edges.
  16. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

They sell pretty well here in NW Pa too. Lots of Fishers around here.
  17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Trip edges save transmissions.......
  18. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Most people around here run fishers. Most dealers sell Fisher.I used to have a Myers on my jeep. It seems like it was not so good for cement like snow. It tripped more than it plowed. I have used fishers ever since. Haven't tried boss or western. I'm sure that they are a good plow. If it works why change it.
  19. snopushin ford

snopushin ford Senior Member
    from mass

I have had both fisher and now boss, fisher was 8 foot straight, and now have a boss vxt. The thing that i like about a ful trip blade is being able to tell as soon as it starts to trip to make adjustments to keep pushing. Another thing plowing wet snow I found that using scoop to put more of a load on the blade actually helps control it from tripping. Just my thoughts, I went with boss because of dealer location, flared wings which throw snow higher over existing banks, and the best width to weight ratio makes it easier on the truck in my opinion. Matt
  20. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

After owning a trip edge plow I wont buy a full trip plow again Trip edge is only thing to have