1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why Lowballers go out of Business

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mick, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Just got back from a call for plowing. I thought some might enjoy this one. This guy called and asked if I'd plow for him. He said he'd "lost" the last guy. Get over there, look the place over and quote $25 for about five minutes work including backdragging from in front of the garage. I got the job (I'm still the only advertiser in the local shopper). Then I asked what happened to the last guy (it was someone he knows personally). I wondered since a couple of others I'd gotten because the last guy died. Well, this was a little different. The guy quit plowing because gas got so high, he couldn't afford to keep plowing. Instead of raising his rates, he just went out of business. So, what was he charging? For this drive - $10. Funnier yet - the homeowner said he gave the guy $15 even though he'd only asked for $10. And he was ok with $25.

2. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

lol.... thank you for sharing. now i know what NOT TO DO! well i just quoted the same people i did last year for 10more this year than last. last year i charged them 15, this year 25. why you ask? last year i was 15, didnt understand and just wanted the cash to spend, didnt have insurance payments or anything. plus sense being this was my first year in the lawn business, i learned that by lowballing can really end up f-ing you over. i also learned that somewhat people LIKED to be charged.

thanks to you guys, you guys talked me into upping my prices for that condo i was telling you fellers about.

thanks plowsite! and the AWSOME MEMBERS THAT ARE HERE!

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

You've got to remember one thing Mick. Your reliable and you offer good service. :waving:

4. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

GUYS...Ya know whats funny ? The guy that does a crummy job and ya see the homeowner out shoveling missed spots or fixing his tore up lawn etc. Next summer will either: "Yea great deal I got on plowing and hire the next cheaper guy next winter" or wise up and spend a little more and hire a pro...................... :p

5. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

I got onto plowing mainly because I thought I could save some bucks. 4 years later I realize I should have done this 20 years ago. I have 2 commercial and 2 rental properties that I own.I don't plow anyone else. Not even relatives. I got sick of receiving the calls from the tenants about where and when they were going to get plowed out. I ditched the 2 rentals and told the tenants to do their own drives. The 2 commercial lots keep me busy and doing them has saved me a ton of money. And no more calls to boot... :)