1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why leave the doors open?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by drivewaydoctor, Jan 17, 2009.

1. I'm just wondering, I often see guys driving around with the top doors of their V-Box spreader open during a snow storm. Why would anyone leave them open rather than close them to try and limit moisture (snow) from getting at the salt? I swear everyone I see with them has the doors open all of the time...

2. All the guys I see running around with their doors open are overloading the box. They're gaining 1/2 - 1 1/2 yards. I don't think they are too worried about moisture because they are using all the sand/salt in one shot.

3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

what is a door on a v box.....no need to worry about moisture here as ours is a 5 yard and it's gone in about 1 hour

4. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

same here! I refill about every half hour, it gets used fast! Then when where done we emty any left over out and put it back in the pile.

5. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

Same with us too.

6. ljbev

ljbev Senior Member

doors/deflecters

They are used more as deflecters, so when you are loading or driving all the overflow salt or sand goes on the ground rather than along side your v-box in the bed of the truck.

7. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

never ever seen doors on sanders here, sounds like a good idea if ya leave sanders loaded up at the yard for the next run

8. Bowtytek

Bowtytek Member
    from Maine

are they doors or did they build something to cover the sides so salt doesnt land in bed during loading? i often wondered the same then thought that maybe it was this cover on the sides.

9. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

They are on the fisher poly caster, western tornado, and blizzard ice chaser. When open they act as deflectors directing extra off the sides of a p/u

10. ljbev

ljbev Senior Member

doors

Its simple, you attach HD hinges to the top of your 8' sander, then 2 half sheets of outdoor plywood. Folded up acts like a door (really useless I think but out of the way), folded down acts as deflector for loading and driving when material spills out of the top of the hopper and you can lift the plywood to get at your shovels and junk. I think the deflector part is more use full, or you have a half a truck full of material you have to shovel out....

11. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Like he says it works well. I have seen his on one of his trucks. It looks like the Western Tornado with the "spill guards". I was with him when they loaded him. They rounded it off, the plywood was still able to close the top of the spreader. The plywood was just pointed like a diamond. When spreading the material, the plywood folded down to the top of the hopper. I would bolt up a 2x4 on each bed rail. Attach it to the stake pockets, this way the plywood is laying on the 2x4's and it is not scratching the side of the truck.