1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why it's sometimes better to pay for it. (Lengthy)

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Bad Luck, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Here's my story:

About two weeks ago my truck was in for some warranty work, and when I picked it up, I asked the service writer about who they used for body work because I had removed my wheel flares and there was some etching in the clear coat where they had rubbed the sheetmetal over the past year. "No problem" says the service guy, when you bring it in to get the new seat switch installed (the old one burnt out and they had to order it) I'll send it over to XYZ Auto Body (name to be withheld until final resolution is come to) and I'll have them fix it under warranty. "GREAT!!" I said, "but I also have some deep scratches about 16 inches long along the bottom of the bed on the pasenger side, when you send it there could you have them give me an estimate to have it taken down and repainted? There's no dents, it's simply paint." He told me that there has been some issues with trucks coming back with runs in the paint from the factory, especially with those painted black, and if I wrote it up that the truck had runs in that location, he would have the body shop fix that as well under warranty.

Skip to this past Friday:

I pick the truck up after not having it for 5 days and my blood immediately boils. I pull up and see that the truck was not washed. So I go inside and grab the service guy I was dealing with and show him what I see.... The sides were covered in white residue from being wet sanded and buffed. Over each wheel well, where they wet sanded and buffed with a wheel there are burn marks in the clear, and scuff marks from the sand paper :angry:. The area that was painted is all orange peeled, and now has a run and a bare spot!!! This area is also covered in wheel marks and there are sand paper scuffs in my rear passenger door where the body guy went too far with the sand paper. But that's not all.

Here's where it gets good:

There is a tape line right down the middle of my rear door, clear as day where the &^%#&!$ painter ended the clear coat. And the ENTIRE passenger side is covered with overspray. My windows, pillars, doors, bed, tailight, and hood. I rub my hand on these surfaces and it feels like I'm rubbing my hand over a sanding block. I'm fricken beside myself right now. I have no idea what kind of body shop lets a job go back to the customer like that but my trucks' finish is pretty much shot. I have an appt. to go back tonight to go over the whole thing with the service manager but I have a feeling I am going to get screwed on this one. Hopefully they can wheel out the buffing and scuff marks and clay bar out the over spray.

The kicker is I took it to a hand wash in town on Saturday and the guy working the line wanted to know who did such a "****** job buffing your truck? We can fix that you know, if you want." Damn it. :realmad:

I should have paid the $500.00 to have it fixed by my body guy.

Stay tuned folks, update to follow.... :angry:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2005
  2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Bad Luck
    Sorry to hear about the truck. I had just the apposite story, had my truck in the local body shop for a roof repair.(Some punk threw a piece of cement on my roof at 3:30am on my way home from work.) :yow!: Called the ins. company and took it to a guy that has done some work for me before. Truck came back and look's great. The truck was washed inside and out. Not a wheel mark to be found, color match is right on the money. I could not be happier. Hope it all works out for you. When they were all done they sent it down to have the plow installed for me, I didn't have to pick it up and drive it over there.

Regards Mike

3. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Mike - Good to hear you got yourself a good body shop. :nod:

The thing that burns my arse is that I could have had this all done by my body guy if I wanted to pay for it and I woul dhave been 100% satisfied. Instead I dealt with a dealer, expecting quality work, and I get crap. It sickens me to look at my baby in this state, plus, I'm getting married on friday so now I have this to throw into the pot of junk to worry about. :dizzy:

4. Up North

Up North Senior Member

BL,
    Dude, sounds like you got a mess on your hands. I'd be so ticked that I'd probably do something I'd later regret.

On the other hand, just worry about the truck. All you need to worry about as far as the wedding is where it's at and what time to be there...oh, and if the bar is well stocked for the reception. :D

Where's our invitation? I thought some guys were working on another get-together, why not Joisey??? I'm sure your new bride wouldn't mind a bunch of snowplowers showing up with all our rigs. We could all drop our plows and follow the limo!

Good luck man on both, the truck and the wedding.

Buck

5. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Buck - You turkey. What's up man? How's everything? I'm still waiting for the Jersey get together!! I've been busy on almost every NY meet.

There's still steam coming out of my ears from this one, hopefully the dealer will straighten out the bodyshop without too much interaction from me. If I get involved, I will probably end up beating someones ass down there, and just pay out of my pocket to get it done right.

LOL!! I can picture it now, our limo is a stretch Excursion, then a line of 20 or so plow trucks lights going and all, yeah, I'm sure she'd love that!!!

I live right down the street from a Hooters that would be a perfect place for a meet up. Accessible to from Rt's 80, 287, and 23.

6. neetchracer

neetchracer Junior Member

You won't have to pay to get it fixed. You have a reciept showing it was warranty work......right? If you don't get anywhere with the service manager, keep screaming until the district rep comes and looks at it. Call customer service and tell them what is going on, how you"came to pickup the truck after the warranty work was done and found this....." Take it to another dealer, they can help if they want, may not want to though. It may take a little time, but you should be fine.

7. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Badluck,

neet it correct... the paperwork stated warranty work so they have to fix it... Start beating down doors.. the district rep... GM customer service... dealership owner... be loud and stand you ground. I would actually insist I that I take it to a body shop of my choice and have them pay the bill. If the could not do it correct the first time then I always am a bit uneasy about letting them try again.

Lou

P.S. If they start ginveing you a lot of grief start mentioning wanting a new vehicle since they "ruined" yours...

8. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Update:

I stopped past the dealership after work today and went over everything with the service manager. Needless to say, he was pissed... "You try to do someone a favor, and this is what happens." Was his response. He apologized up the wazoo, apparently, their normal body shop was really backed up so they used a secondary, not so great one out of town. He gave me a list of local shops I could use, and said to simply stop by the shop of my choice and go over everything with them so they know exactly what needs to be fixed, and he'll handle the rest.....to be continued......

9. Up North

Up North Senior Member

BL,
    Cool, I'd say you have 80% of the battle won. Having them accept the responsibility and owning up to the fact this this is on them is a big step. And should take some stress of you. Good luck on the rest of the ordeal.

Buck

10. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

UPDATE:

Today after work I ran by one of the body shops and the owners basic response was this. "There is no way on gods planet" he would have let a job like that leave his shop, and "there is no way in hell" he would attempt to repair it. His recommendation, based upon the condition of the rest of the paint, and how deep the sanding scuffs are on the wheel wells was to repaint the entire truck. You heard right, the whole truck. "Blending black is a difficult task and there's no way you will be happy with it. The way it looks to me, I have to paint your front quarters, and rear quarters. To blend them into the front and rear doors would be a joke. You're better off shooting the whole truck, including the hood and tailgate to make it all match up. To do that properly, emblems, moldings etc all have to come off. ______(service manager at dealership) is not going to like the call he gets from me!!!" The guys was upfront, very honest, and seemed like he knew his stuff. He is actually the real body shop for the dealer. He took me for a brief walk through of his shop and man, I would be privileged to eat off the floor of this thing...I mean mint!!

He said my only other two options were to let the dealership send it back the shop that did the work, but caution them that any imperfections and the truck has to go to him to be repainted, or simply demand a new truck (a far stretch) because basically my paint is shot because in multiple places they buffed down right to the primer, and in others they sanded too hard and are into the actual primary paint coat. #&@^$*!&^@$&!##^&#!^

I should be getting a call tomorrow from the dealership. This is going to get interesting, I assure you.

11. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Okay...so maybe you have half the battle won. :eek:

Dang, did that other shop have the janitor working on your truck? Man, what a joke. I'd be bummed too, big time.

See ya on Friday BL! :D

Buck

12. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I'm going through something very similar.

Last summer I had mice get into my brand new silverado and eat it alive. Well they replaced a bunch of parts and this summer when I was putting my Christmas present on, I noticed the mice had gnawed holes and wires in the electrical box under the hood. Had my old man take it to the dealer to have it replaced, meanwhile the tailgate protector flew off cuz I had just used some plastic tabs so no holes are drilled in the tailgate, no big deal to replace those. OK so 3 months later after I get it back, the idiot body man drilled holes in my tailgate and screwed the protector down, the mechanic just put butt connectors under the hood. On top of that they scuffed the paint all up. :angry:

I demanded a new tailgate and they were happy to oblige after some reaming. I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do about the wire deal, my dad says its ok cuz they used moisture resistant connectors but it looks like crap.

Last winter when I nailed a fence and mushed my bumper, quarter panel on the box, and destroyed the tail light. Took it in to what I thought was the best body man around and they did a decent job except for the flare had big a$$ scuff marks and when they put the old one back on it was crooked as a politician.

13. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

I'm hoping...we'll see when I get the call from the dealer.....

See you soon!! I take cash only, no checks!!!!! payup :D

14. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Who said anything about giving you any loot? I'm just coming for the beers... :D

Nah, just kidding around. Good luck man, I remember my day, on October 10th it'll be my 18th anniversary, and yeah it's the same gal.

Buck

15. twodan

twodan Member

My Story

1-1/2 months ago, my 4 month old 2500hd was parked and side swiped from the driver's side front flare, across the driver's door, crew cab door, the rear corner of the cab, and along the bed's side. took the truck to the chevy dealer who serviced my 99 gmc, and has started on my 05 gmc. the body shop manager told me he would only accept new outer skins for the doors and bed, and that the truck would look like new. after schlepping rides and mooching my wife's car for over a month, i stopped in to check out the progress. i was told 2 more days. looking at the truck still unfinished, i said to myself, ya right. while i was taliking with him, i asked when it would be safe to wash & wax once i had it back. he replied that the truck would be detailed including a wax job. 2 days later, it was done. it was perferct inside & out. i was very pleased. the only thing i noticed was the sle badge missing, so back i went. no problem, we'll order one. once my badge is installed, i plan on writing a nice letter to the body shop at the dealership expressing my total satisfaction. i did this before, when after 3 days the transmission was leaking. seems the dealership where it was purchased never found the tsb. i made a point of asking them to check before i took delivery. when this job was completed by the chevy dealer who did find the tsb, i fired off a note to the mechanics thanking them and the dealership for providing a rental too. i'm sure the service i receive will continue to be to my satisfaction. yes. sometimes it's better to pay the big bucks. pay peanuts, you get monkeys. sorry to ramble on.
    dan