1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why it is important to use electrical tape

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by ajslands, Feb 20, 2010.

1. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

So today I had to fix one of my strobes, and taped it all up and everything . And about 5 hours later decided to wash my truck, I took a nap so I kinda forgot that I had fixed it. So went to wash my truck and When I was finished I turn them on, and when driving out of bay they start flashing weird (out of pattern). So I go get diesel and take tape off and let it dry a little, so I drive Down the road and it starts working again. And I was :D ... So gotta tape it up realy good
  2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

3. ajslands

Then I gotta go pay 40$ for a heat gun. But thanks for the site
  4. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

Cough harbor frieght cough (if they have one buy you) :rolleyes:
  5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

A cigarette lighter works also.
  6. ajslands

Cough cough I will wann use it more than once cough grunt....
  7. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

8. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

It worth it to have.

We have heat gun and tons of heat shrink. It do much better than that electric tape.
  9. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I have a little $5 pocket torch. I used heat shrink to fix a hole in my washer fluid hose 2 years ago (temporarily) and it's still holding.
  10. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

electrical tape will work for a bit. 6 months later your lights wont work. Heat shrink! Hell you can use a lighter
  11. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Heat shrink tubing is by far the best tight sealed casing you can install on wire hook-ups. I use a mini blu-flame torch from Blue-Point. Don't use a lighter, the flame ain't hot enuf.

shrink tubing.jpg
  12. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Get the stuff with glue inside. That is the best.
  13. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi AJ
    Man do it once with heat shrink, the good stuff with the glue in it, you can use almost any source of heat, pencil torch, lighter, hair dryer, but using electrical tape is a NO,NO. It will not work, you will get water corrosion and then lights don't go blink blink anymore. Do it right the first time and you will not have any issue's.

Regards Mike
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  14. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Never used one with heat shrink. I use a match, propane torch, or electric soldering gun/iron. Works fine as long as you move quickly.

15. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member