1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why isn't the salt working?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Deershack, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

I have a 3.25 A lot to salt. Area had a 15 to 20" snow fron the 23rd to the 25th. On the 25th we got mostly rain or freezing rain on top of the fall. Since the business was closed for those days, they didn't start plowing till the 26th. They got the snow off but there was a layer of ice left. They called me into salt.

I let US Salt talk me into loading "treated salt" in anticipation of the rain coming. This was a green tinged salt that they refered to as "Clear lane". I don't know if it actually was.

I figured the lot would take about 1.5 T of straight salt. I normaly would have increased this amount for a pretty good layer of ice, but since I had the treated salt on board, I used about the normal 1.5 T. Was told the treated salt was a combination of CC and MC and was very aggressive.

I salted the lot on Sat night in my normal pattern. Sun, the owner called and said it didn't look like I had been there. I resalted Sun night using the same treated salt that I still had. They called again today saying they could see I had been there in some spots, but in the areas that were not in the sun during the day, the affect of the salt was almost non existent. They were using a Bobcat to scrape the lot and could'nt get under the ice in many spots, so apparently even after two applications, the salt had not worked it's way down.

The temps for this entire period ( from the 23rd to the 27th were in the mid to high 20's during the day and the mid teens at night.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why the salt didn't work?
  2. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

Hmmm I use straight rock salt and it works great on ice and icy build ups, I bet it would have for you also guess next time better go with what ya know works!! Hope it didn't cost ya more? I have heard mixed reviews about treated salt and I think I will stick to my plain salt!!
  3. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

Straight salt was $69p/t and the treated was $79p/t. That was picked up with no contract.
  4. novasnowplower

novasnowplower Member

Salt only good for temps over 28 degrees, Supposedly. Under 28 degrees unless it has good direct sunlight very posiible it wont work as well as temps over 28 degrees. Thats what I have been told. Maybe that helps make sense
  5. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

When this happens try some magic salt for one storm. You can see results by the time you get done salting the other side of the lot. Clear lane is not that great. Good Luck
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Better stop listening to people who don't have a clue. And then repeat what they tell you.

Clearlane is sodium treated with mag and food coloring. In my experience it does work faster and at colder temps but does not reduce the amount of salt needed. The salt worked, you just didn't apply enough.

You out there Crete?
  7. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

8. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

You get the same effect spraying salt brine at the spinner :nod:

Magic wont "Eat, Claw, or Shred" Ice either. It works great if you pre-treat with it, so do other products. If you prevent the bond, your one step ahead. If it rains on that pre-treat (Magic included) , your back to square one. Magic works very well for sure, but it in all honesty, I would not tell some guy to think this will save the day.
    Sounds to me he has some bad icing, and no matter what you put down, its going to take a Bomber run of de-icing material to get things done.
  9. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Dang, how did I miss this one.

28* and direct sunlight it'll melt by itself. :rolleyes:

Is it just me or is the effective temperature of salt going up? First it's 20, then 22, now 28. :laughing:
  10. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

The Stuff from US Salt is treated w/ Mag. I had the same problem on a small over flow lot thats next to a tall building, that never gets any sun. And I put down the same amount per acre and you didn't even know I went over it and the rest of the lots were bare. So I just gave up and ran some sand.
  11. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I understand this has much to do with what state it is mined from. The southern states that extract salt from the ground doesn't work at the lower temps compared to northern states that mine salt.

This would explain it. :D
  12. Mark Oomkes

:laughing: :laughing:
  13. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

not only should you have salted heavier because of packed snow/icy conditions to begin with, you also should have pointed out to those "heroes" plowing that lot that sat for three days, accumilated over 16" of snow, then experienced freezing rain are to blame as well. open or not, those idiots should have plowed the damn lot off. you don't let that much snow build up and expect miracles when you decide to show up and clean it off
  14. Mark Oomkes

Well, there's that too.
  15. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Oh Boy!!!...Im keeping my eye on this Thread....:dizzy:
  16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Why are you worrying about Crete? We need the expert - IPLOWU

The salt I get is effective down to as low as 32 degrees. As long as the surface temp is above 40 degrees. And the sun is shining. And it's nice new blacktop. And it was plowed. And powerbroomed. And it wasn't driven on.

Under those conditions I only need 1 ton/acre. Works great:D
  17. Big Snow Balls

Big Snow Balls Member

any one tried treating bulk rock salt with beat juice. How does it compare to magic salt
  18. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Search Button...Search Button!!!!!......:dizzy:
  19. OldCrow

OldCrow Member

Always easier to put someone down than to explain what they heard is wrong, and give the correct info. We can't all be experts I suppose.

Salt (sodium chloride) has an effective melting temperature down to -6 degrees. Albeit, you'll need to apply 3x, 4x, 5x the amount of salt at lower temperatures to achieve the proper melting. Even at 20 degrees, you'll need to apply more salt to break through a hard snow or ice pack. So, it doesn't sound like a problem of the salt not working, just a problem of too much ice and not enough material applied.

For anyone interested, although it may not directly apply to contractors doing residential drives or even commercial lots, there is some good information for salting techniques and salt information at www.saltinstitute.org

There is also whats called "The Snow Fighters Handbook" that gives great info for application rates, techniques, etc.. It is geared more towards street and highway use, but may help give insight to anyone new in the industry. http://www.saltinstitute.org/content/download/484/2996
  20. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict