1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why is Twp. Salt Blue?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Andy N., Feb 6, 2002.

1. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

Why is it that the salt that people use in bulk is usually blue, but the bagged is white. Is it not NaCl?

2. OriginalSnowman

OriginalSnowman Junior Member

Generally speaking, bagged salt is "solar salt" that is evaporated and contains less of the impurities that may affect color. Bulk rock salt is mined and will bring with it whatever else is in the ground around and with it.

This is a VERY general statement. To learn more, visit the The Salt Institute's web site.The Sale Institute ;)

3. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Check out the "Brown Salt" thread a few below this one for the answer. ;)

4. greasemonkey

greasemonkey Member

Around here (ann arbor, MI), the salt the road commisions use is blue. I think its treated with some kind of anti clumping agent. Sometimes the supplier that I used to get bulk from would have it, I guess when the county suppliers had a surplus.

-J

5. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

I could be wrong of course... since it's known to happen. But isn't the salt blue because they dye it for tracking purposes?

6. BRL

7. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

The salt is blue because its sweetheart broke up with it....

(Sorry. I know that was silly but I couldn't resist any longer.) :)

But here's a serious question I've had--It seems like the salt that's left on my windsheild from spray coming off the road is stickier than it was years ago. It takes more than a simple wipe with a rag to get it to come off the glass. I don't remember it being that way before. Is it my imagination, or is there something about the way it's treated these days that makes it harder to wipe off? Any expert opinions?

8. BRL

No expert here, but I'll take my stab at it. Maybe they are using a pre-wet system with brine or liquid de-icer that causes this? That's one possible guess LOL. I can think of other potential guesses but that's my turn. Next?

9. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I'm with BRL on this one. I believe it is some type of wetting agent, or sticking agent that is added to the pre wet system. Not only that, but sometimes calcium chloride is mixed with salt, or applied to roads itself.

~Chuck

Last edited: Feb 23, 2002
  10. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I didn't think it was my imagination, but these days I'm never sure.... :)

11. BRL

I don't know, we've seen yuour imagination at work in some of your posts here... I'd still be suspicious of it. ;)