1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why is this lift arm leaking?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by PerfiCut Inc., Nov 8, 2009.

1. PerfiCut Inc.

PerfiCut Inc. Senior Member
    from Eastern

I have (what I think) is the RT2 type strait blade. 7'-6" size. It appears, when you try to raise the blade a large amount of hydraulic fluid shoots out of a nut on the top/back side of the lift arm cylinder.

What could be the cause for this?

2. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

Sounds like you need to replace that hydraulic fitting. Did you try to tighten the nut? Not sure what you have for a fitting. Could be the nut has split and only leaks under pressure. Replace it is my suggestion.

3. PerfiCut Inc.

PerfiCut Inc. Senior Member
    from Eastern

Its not a fitting, Im guess its a pressure relief of some type. Its located about 2 inches down from the top of cylinger, on the side facing the truck.

The nut/bolt has a small hole in the center of it probably about 2mm in diameter which looks like its suppose to be there. This is where the fluid shoots out from. It almost looks like a drain plug. or something.

I tried to turn it but its on prety tight, didnt want to force it just yet, just wanted to make sure it wasnt loose.

4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

leak

it sound's like the breather on the back side of the cylinder is were the oil is coming out .which means the seals in the raise lower cylinder are worn out ,new seal kit or cylinder time depending on if it comes apart or how bad the bore and piston are .:salute:

5. Duramax101

Duramax101 Junior Member

Having the same problem on a 8' RT2 straight. Replaced the breather at the end of last season and seemed to help. Topped off fluid recently & still getting a squirt when I lift it all the way up. Thought possibly over filled, but don't think I did. Did replacing seal kit help yours or did you replace the cylinder? Thanks!