1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why is there a limit

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by LLM Ann Arbor, Dec 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

On the amount of time you have to edit a post here?

I edited out a photo of my mower and wanted to say why and explain the post that now makes no sense and cant.

:confused:

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

One reason is that a member might get disturbed and decide to edit out all their post and then the threads wouldn't make sense.
    Then you have those who are losing an argument and go in and change what they originally said.

3. LLM Ann Arbor

Thats why the quote feature is useful. But I dont mind sayin thats an unusual policy and reason, and unheard of at any of the other forum boards I visit.

But, thats fine.

Thanks for the response. Charles.

4. Lubold8431

Lubold8431 Member

Actually, its the same policy for all the other boards that I visit that use vbulletin.
    So, in fact, very common and very often used reason for having this policy...

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I haven't seen a forum without a time limit for editing for those reasons.

6. LLM Ann Arbor

I haven't seen on that does have it besides this one and LS.

God forbid someones losing an argument here, since arguing's not allowed anyways, and if they went back and edited the post it would plainly show in the edit time stamp and everyone would know that the post was edited and the public here would take care of pointing that out themselves.

And if editing posts so the thread made no sense was such a big issue, what happens when someone starts a thread, and they have their account deleted like Lowballers account was (snofarmer) and the thread remains....making no sense.

My problem lies with the fact that if someone posted personal info about themselves or their company and wanted it edited out a few hours later,after coming to their senses, it cant be done without going to the Mods and waiting until it is deleted, if it would be or not.

I just dont see the value in having a time limit on being able to edit your posts, and I will never be able to be convinced of it.

Like I said.....if someone did edit an argument post which again , isn't allowed here anyhow per the rules and policies, the rest of the regulars would call the poster on it anyhow like is common at the other sites I visit which are mainly political sites.

Makes no sense.

It might actually save the Mods here a lot of legwork and babysitting duties if what they say is true about being so concerned with editing an argumentative post that they will certainly edit on their own once they see it.

I know why you guys do it, and limit the amount of time you have to edit posts....Im just trying to get you to admit it.

:)

See if you will.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I had to quickly quote llm before he deletes his Post, so this one will still have some context.lol!!!!!

The edit function time - is common on formsand forms all across the net are set up just PS's is.

Mr. Michael J. Donovan, Charles, Mods,
    Would you please assure LLM that I was not Lowballer.:dizzy:

-----------LLM---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "My problem lies with the fact that if someone posted personal info about themselves or their company and wanted it edited out a few hours later,after coming to their senses, it cant be done without going to the Mods and waiting until it is deleted, if it would be or not"

Simple fix- Just quote your self and make the corrections.
    -------------------------------------------

LLM. your arguing with the Mods now...;)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  8. popov_plow

popov_plow Junior Member

hey just in case you didn't know-

arguing.jpg

9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Snofarmer was not Lowballer. Not saying who it was so as not to getting anything started:rolleyes:

10. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

LLM,
    Can you find something else to complain about? Lets see, in the last 4 days, you have complained about everything. Twice. Get a job, or a hobby!:rolleyes:

11. LLM Ann Arbor

Excellent post Seizure.

Not saying what I really think so as to not get anything started.

12. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

I read this post and wondered if there is a limit on how many times you can post in a day, Ive been a member for two years longer than LLM and he has doubled my post count. And I can honestly say ive helped and been helped bye many of members.

Not currently trying to start anything........Just helping a cause!!!!

Bryan.

13. Midwest BuildIt Inc

And just to go along with the original thread, there is no reason why you should have too edit a post after lets say 5 min of posting it. Just think about what your posting before you do it. There is only one time ive ever wanted to edit a post after i posted it and i pm'd a moderator and it took all of about 15 sec for me to do it. And it was only cause i had been drinking and posted a bad word , so i had it corrected in the morning when i got up..

14. LLM Ann Arbor

You should post more often then Bnc.

Thats why the place is here.

To communicate.

I dont get why people are so affraid to post unless they are asking some technical question all the time.

It's a community. If all the people did in your town was talk about the price of milk, or gas, or why the streetlights go out now and then, wouldn't that be little boring?

You'd be shocked but maybe not surprised to know that I have 50,000 posts at a political website I frequent.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  15. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Honestly i don't post very much cause i don't like to get in to the what truck is better , what plow is better, I can do it better that you can, so on and so on. If i know the correct answer to a question i will post. If i have a question that i can not get answered through some phone calls then i will post.

And most importantly , If I can help or make some one laugh i will post it.

But i will not post 15 times a day just to see my name.:drinkup:

16. LLM Ann Arbor

I dont do it just to see my name. Do you not speak to your woman so you wont hear your voice?

I mean....I know she appreciates it but.....lol

xysport

17. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

then the other forums got it wrong you say something i comment and you dont like it so you go change your original post to mix it up make you look good and me bad should work like that

18. LLM Ann Arbor

But what you are missing is thats why you use the quote feature to your advantage, and then if someone does go back more than a few minutes later (which within that time frame is usually for spelling and that sort of thing....not that you guys worry about it...lol) then the time of edit stamp on the bottom clearly points out that the post was edited well after the fact.

Whats really funny is what i'll do in my next post. :)

lol

19. LLM Ann Arbor

lol.......( so theres no argument, and forpeople that cant figure it out....DBL Did Not Say That)

The funny part is that like I said earlier, that Charles says it's because in case someones losing an argument yada yada yada......but arguing here is generally against the rules to begin with.

Since they wont tell you. I will, and it's not to cause trouble.

But the reason they dont let you go back and edit after like fifteen minutes or whatever it is , is because of the "babysitting factor"

They want to and do read all posts made especially by anyone they have their eye on, and want to make sure "they" (the mods) see any inapropriate behavior, or what they deem as such, so they can give you a check mark or a warning or ultimately a boot outta here.

Its simply because they dont trust anyone here.

And that they want to protect the site to the max....which is fine. Really....it is.

But to say it is because they think the threads wont make sense and or that someone will screw up an argument in progress is insulting to hear them say and a little embarrassing.

The sites I post at other than this have 100's of thousands of active members and can have as many as 75000 posts a day, and thats why they dont and cant babysit the baby like they do here.

Im not saying what they do here is wrong. Its their site, and I like the place.

But some of the attempts to control the place only serve to limit it.

And.....you get what I talked about with BNC earlier.

Many posters intimidated and affraid to post at all.

Which to me seems counterproductive, and frankly costs them advertising/manufacturer dollars because with more posts, comes more individuality, and inevitably creates more 'hits" and thats how they base their prices to the manufacturers on that advertise here.

ugh.....I've seen enough to know that I've seen too much. In other words....I've been around these boards for 13 years and before that on compuserve and real bbs sites.

I've seen it all.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  20. Midwest BuildIt Inc

That is way to much thoughtwesport ..lol.:drinkup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.