1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why is the defroster on a timer?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mcwlandscaping, Feb 23, 2011.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

On my 06, why does the defroster shut off on its own? I understand maybe people leave it on and then it gets nice out and it is not needed anymore, but i can't tell you how many times ive been plowing and get frustrated wondering why my rear window is fogging up again and then i look down and the defroster is off! On top of that the heated tow mirrors are on that same switch and my rear window may be clear but the mirrors aren't! Can you cause damage by having it on too long? If not, then why not just make it shut off with the key so that one would have to turn it back on only once the vehicle has been shut off and turned back on!
  2. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I think for most people, the amount of time it stays on is more than enough to clear the mirrors and window. Unless I am plowing, it is enough time for me. If I need it to run longer I will just hit the button again.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Would you rather be back in the old days (70's) ? When you use have a fan,then every time you would stop driving the fan would slow down and when you were driving it would speed up.
  4. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I think they're real hard on the alternator...

that being said, I push my heated mirror button like clock work every 10 or so minutes... but I did unhook the wires for my back window defroster as I have too many electrical things on my truck already
  5. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I find it annoying as well, but it is what it is and we're stuck with it I suppose.

The defroster (mirrors too) on my wife's Audi stays on till you either choose to turn it off or until you shut the car down. Doesn't seem to be a problem battery wise, but I'm not running a snowplow electric motor either.
  6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

nope!!! :laughing::laughing:

the problem isn't a big deal, just something i had always wondered about and wanted to be sure it wasn't a problem
  7. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I will tell you i have seen alot of the audi mirrors go bad after a few yrs. They look burnt
  8. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I never thought of unhooking the back window wires. With the box i have I don't use it anyway. I only hit my defroster for the mirrors, but it's probably only once an hour, they don't ice up bad, maybe it's all the highway driving I do on my route. I have huge electrical on my truck as well but the twin alternators handle it beautifully, amperage doesn't even move when using the plow and salter at the same time. That's good for solenoids,pump motors and the rest of it too.
  9. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Both my '03 and '06 do it... gets a little annoying but oh well :rolleyes:
  10. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Interesting, I'll have to keep my eyes peeled, thanks for the heads up.. Its an 02 A4 3.0 Quattro with the cold weather package. Mirrors are original and thus far look perfect...they are electrochromic tinting like the inside rear view mirror.
  11. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

those are the ones, glad yours are ok. I have alot of customers looking to replace the glass but i dont on those. Seem like they are liquid filled too.