1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why is sand not recomended in a tailgate spreader?

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by Plowin in VT, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

When I got my 9cu ft Sno Way spreader (w/a vibe) I was told that Sno Way does not recommend running sand through it, and if I did, it would have to be very dry sand (tube sand). Why? Is it because sand would clog up in the chute? I ran tube sand a couple of times, and it didn't spread well and I used 5x what I would have by hand.

With the salt shortage I was forced to use sand/salt mix (very wet stuff), and it's worked perfectly. I've put 20 tons through it so far and haven't had a problem.

Am I running a risk of damaging something by running sand, or is it not recommended only because it can clog up in the chute?

2. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Sand is not recommended for the tailgate units strictly due to not flowing well and normally causing clogging problems.
  3. Plowin in VT

Thanks Tom, that's what I thought. Guess I'm lucky, but as long as the vibe is on, it works great!!!
  4. rhkfwain

rhkfwain Senior Member
    from FWA, IN

Evan, our recommendation is not unique to Sno-Way. The other manufacturers of receiver spreaders say the same thing, "not designed for sand". That being said, I have had several customers tell me that they use sand with no problems but it seems, more times than not, using sand produces less than desirable results.
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The wetter the sand the worse the tunneling/bridging, some guys use vibrators and feed slow and make it work. Not Ideal.
  6. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  7. riverwalkland

riverwalkland Senior Member

Salt shortage? Last time I went to shaws, they had plent of salt :dizzy:

Barretts shut you off ?

I just told people no more salt for the rest of the season a month ago so I wouldn't have to tell them everytime they call
  8. Plowin in VT

Nah, Barrett's hasn't shut me down, but when they were out, I had no choice but to start using mix. Now, I just like the way that the sand/salt works, especially w/the ice storm we just got.