1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why is poly heavier than steel

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by QKSnowRemoval, Dec 17, 2008.

1. QKSnowRemoval

QKSnowRemoval Senior Member

Well i have the 08 plow guide and in the back with the specs it looks like poly is heavier than steel is this true cuz i thought it should be lighter, and how is it suppose to save you fuel and wear and tear on the truck like boss says when its so much heavier? Or are these stats in the back of the guide just wrong??

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

More support braces.

3. QKSnowRemoval

O so is that the only reason then, but over all isnt poly better

4. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

its supposed to save fuel because the snow rolls off the poly easier and doesnt stick to it. it is heavier though, i have a 9'2" poly and honestly when i buy my next boss i wouldnt go out of my way to get another poly, id take it if it was the same price of the regular 9'2" steel bot otherwise id pass. jmo.

5. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

A little fluid film and the snow will roll right off the steel too.

6. JDiepstra

There are threads on this site of guys doing just that and then having 4" snow on the blade????

7. QKSnowRemoval

So are u telling me that poly is overpriced then?

8. Can-Boy

Can-Boy Member

Can't weld poly.

9. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I have had to help nudge guys out that were stuck before & there is no way I would attempt this with a poly. I have had to push trucks before & I could just see a hitch going through the poly blade.

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have had both and will buy a poly if it is available everytime. The last 2 Western's I bought were both steel because they were already sold out of Poly.

11. JDiepstra

Please explain why you would by the poly every time.

12. JDiepstra

If you are asking me, I have no idea.

13. Wiseguyinc

Wiseguyinc Member
    from MN

Having owned both I found the only real advantage to poly is not showing scrapes. They fade from the sun though.Snow stuck to both of mine.