1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

why is one (bad?) strobe killing system?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by cameo89, Dec 23, 2010.

1. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I have a whelen strove kit ups-64 it worked all summer and uptill about a week ago and quit working, so I checked to see if I had correct power to the system supply and I did so I ordered another supply unit (ups-188c), wired it up and still nothing! So I started unpluging strobe wireing and 3 of them started working! But soon as I plug the right rear back in, it kills everything! Why?

Would a bad strobe tube do this? Or could I have a wire rubbed raw on the frame?

2. txhrdcoroffrd

txhrdcoroffrd Junior Member
    from Texas

Does the strobe tube look blackened inside. You can unplug the strobe tube from that cable, plug that cable back in at the box & check to see if it affects the other strobes, if it does, that cable is shorting out somewhere, if not, the strobe tube itself is bad.

3. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I don't know about the tube itself, I will have to take my salt spreader off in order to get to the screws for the tail light. But I will try that out today maybe, we have a freezing drizzle out there so....I may have to go salt here shortly!

4. txhrdcoroffrd

txhrdcoroffrd Junior Member
    from Texas

9 times out of 10, the strobe tube causes that problem. I've installed strobes on police, fire, and ambulances for about 10yrs, they can do some crazy things.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  5. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

When i maintained a fleet, most of the time it was a short in the wiring from salt getting into the wires. Never saw a strobe burnout per say, more like get limp/lazy. Installed a new one and working perfect again.

6. SnowJersey

SnowJersey Senior Member

do you have a grommets in all the holes? My guess is there is the stobe cable it cut somewhere and is making contact with the body.

7. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

The only spot where a cable runs through a drilled hole, there is a grommet. I already pulled it through a bit to be sure.
    As soon as I can get my spreader off I can let my tailgate down to remove tail light and check tube and connectors.

8. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

A bad strobe tube does do that. It's a saftey thing I believe. If it (the wire) was rubbed raw on the frame, it would start popping. Best way to fix that is to cut the piece out and wire it back together. But you can tape it.

9. SnowJersey

SnowJersey Senior Member

ok, pull the bulb and take a look at it. If the bulb looks good plug it directly into the power supply and see is it works. if so then your cable is bad some where, if not then its your bulb.

either way its not an expensive fix.

10. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Im not to worried about the little cost, just want to get it workin agaon it looks funny only having 3 on.

I have all of my wiring ran in flex tubing except the strove wireing, so im gonna go to tractor supply and get another 100' roll. Try and find the bad spot, fix and heat shrink wires and run inside flex tubing. Thanks for all the ideas guys! As soon as I can remove my spreader im gonna try to fix my problem.

11. massfirefighter

massfirefighter Senior Member
    from mass.

It's shutting down so the power supply doesn't fry itself. Grab a meter and check for short to ground and replace the cable or bad tube.
    Be glad the power supply has a short circuit protection.

12. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

to check the wires easily disconnect the strobe tube on the bad wire at the light...leave the wire connected to the box...if it works the other three your wire is fine....if not the wire is at fault...

99% says you got water in your connection at the strobe bulb.......

please report back..

13. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Im gonnawork on it hopfully tomorrow and ill post results!

14. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

You should buy the apex weather connectors :nod:

15. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Not really sure what an apex connector is, sorry. Can I go to a local auto parts store to buy?

16. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Well I pulled my tail light and removed the strobe tube and pluged it directly into the power supply and it does work, so I put it all back together and nothing! Doing the same thing, so I unpluged it and I still have my 3 working. So I guess I need to fix my faulty cable or just order a new one.