1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why is my ultramount leaning forward

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by birddseedd, Feb 18, 2014.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

when i push a pile it pushes stright up, but then goes back down, leaning forward, as a result the blad eis closer to the ground, not at the right attack angle, and my plow lights point to the ground.

and it got worse today and seems the whole thing is near the ground and i kept getting stuck.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If the plow lights are shifting then the problem is behind the push bar. Sounds to me like you have loose mount bolts truck side. I would put a floor jack under the rear of the a-frame and see if you can make the mount shift. I bet it will move up and down on the truck. If it's on a Dodge this is not unusual because of the thin frame metal and the way the plow mount goes under the bumper brackets. The last one like that I saw we had to remove the original bumper bolts, ream out the holes to 5/8", replace the bumper bolt assembly (two metric bolts attached together at the head) with 5/8" and drill one extra hole up through the mount and the bottom of the frame tube to install and extra bolt. If it not a Dodge then look for broken or loose mount bolts.
    Initially I wanted to say look at the pivot bar center bolt and the two pins on the end of the swivel bar but if the lights move it has to be behind that.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Your light tower is it bending forward I had one I had to brace Over time they break

4. mishnick

If the blade is moving down it's more than just a loose upper lift frame (light tower).

5. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

If your plow lights are pointing at the ground, you've most likely got a broken upper lift frame. It's likely cracked/torn where it fits over it's mounts on the lower lift frame. It's not at all uncommon, especially on earlier Ultra mounts, before Western identified the problem, and reinforced that area on the later models. The plow doesn't lift as high because the whole mess (pump, lift cylinder, etc.) all leans forward when it attempts to lift the plow off the ground.

Check the upper lift frame around the area where the four thru bolts hold it to the lower lift frame. It should be pretty evident what's going on.

6. Antlerart06

I going off what he said his lights was pointing down more and mine did that and the light tower was bending forward. With out seeing a photo or a video of it or seeing it in person, its hard to really tell someone his problem
    All we are doing just giving him what to look for and my comment is something to look at.

7. HKusp

HKusp Member

He said the blade is leaning forward, not at the right attack angle and because of it, the lights are pointing down. Mishnick is reading it right.

8. mishnick

"Attack angle" birdseed said was changing. I agree it sounds a lot like a broken lift frame. Stacking a pile would release tension from the lift frame allowing lights to move back. When he backs off the pile the chains would pull the lights back down, I agree with that part but it doesn't explain the change in the moldboard angle. Unless birdseed is not giving accurate information. If the attack angle is changing either the blade pivot pin must be very loose or else the rear end of the a-frame is moving up and down. For that to happen and the lights to shift the vehicle mount must be moving.
    How about it birdseed. Set us all straight and tell us what u found.

9. Antlerart06

He might forgot bolt something back right since few weeks back he had pivot bar problems and I thought he got that fix but hard telling

10. mishnick

If the pivot bar AND the lift tower are both loose or broken that would explain it.

11. birddseedd

[​IMG]
    ^------ click to play video------^
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. birddseedd

13. birddseedd

I'm on my way to get new (used) receivers (100 total).

question is, what caused it?

14. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Fatigue due to abuse by operator, before you get your feather all bunched up I know it's on the Ford you recently picked up.

15. birddseedd

any specific reason why this would happen I noticed that the lift frame itself is slightly bent

16. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Smacking curbs, hitting piles trying to push them back, etc....... all equals operator abuse.

17. mishnick

I don't know if it's abuse or just simple "use". After all the process of plowing is an act of colliding with the snow bank again and again. Ripping out the bottom of the receivers like that would be more from down strain, (lifting the plow) than from colliding with curbs. Looks to me like a unit that has done a lot of work....

But I have to enjoy those photos just a bit as it demonstrates a failure BEHIND THE PUSH BAR! What was is you were saying Cubicinches???? Just the light tower broken??? Hate to say I told you so, then again no I don't, I am liking it....

Thanks so much for the photos Birdseed, I feel vindicated.

18. birddseedd

laughs continuously as my wife read the post, and then has to explains to my wife why I'm laughing

19. birddseedd

ussmileyflag
    what about the video I worked hard on that

20. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I got to give your wife credit. If I had half the problems you have my wife would be all over me to sell that POS.