1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why is my plow freaking out?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Fawcett, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Fawcett

Fawcett Junior Member

This has happened to me a few times with my 3 plug 8ft Fisher HD MM2 with toggle switch on my 2012 F350

Everything will be working 100% and then the plow motor seems to get locked on.

The motor will make a lot of noise, draw lots of electrical power (I think but no I didn't test anything) and it won't shut up unless I continuously move the plow up/down & left/right-though even then the noise will still continue.

To keep things from burning out, I have been unplugging the two pronged power cord. Unfortunately, that keeps me from raising/lowering and/or turning the plow left or right.

Most of the time, the problem stops when I move the toggle switch all over the place-though sometimes I get really worried that it won't ever shut off so I unplug it and try waiting. Usually waiting doesn't seem to help.

I don't want problems, can't afford them.

What do I remove and replace?

Thank you in advance,
    Fawcett

2. jshocik

jshocik Member

I go with the "KISS" method...Keep It Simple Stupid (me). I'd start by finding another direction switch, either toggle or fish stick & see if that helps. You say moving the switch all over the place stops the problem, so start there.

3. Fawcett

Fawcett Junior Member

Cool, I'll borrow my Uncles Fish Stick tomorrow and give it a shot. Worst thing that could happen there is that I like using it as opposed to what the truck came with. I hope this is the issue, such an easy fix

4. jshocik

jshocik Member

I hope that's the problem too. It makes me look smart!! :nod:
    I heard Fisher has issues with their controllers, so I bought a used one on eBay in case mine goes bad & to lend to friends if they need a testing controller.

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Replace the plow solenoid.

6. Fawcett

Fawcett Junior Member

Just wanted to thank everyone again for the help. I'll be out plowing tonight tonight and I managed to pick up a new plow solenoid and I borrowed my uncles fish stick. I tried the stick when I got home and noticed a huge improvement in smoothness. I really hope thats the problem because I think I'll like the controls better.
    This problem is solved because of you guys-so again THANK YOU!
    Cheers!
    Fawcett

7. M&M

M&M Senior Member

I just had to chime in on this. I had a similar problem last year. Hooked the plow up and nothing. Swapped out fishstick and it worked. Brought it down to dealer to diagnose problem and a lot of things got burned out.

Basically, they said the plow was probably stuck on at some point that you may not even know when sitting in the cab. Burned out the fishstick, the solenoid, the 2 prong power wire on the plow side. I think a couple of other things. It cost me $800! They could not figure out what caused the plow to be stuck on so they replaced everything...

8. jprun25

jprun25 Junior Member
    from nh

I know this is an old thread, but I am going through this right now. Luckily I figured out something wasn't right and went to unplug the motor at the two pronged power supply and it was almost melted. But I think I caught it in time.

Hooked up my plow this year and everything was fine. Truck sat for a couple days and after first storm, plow wouldn't work. No clicking at the solenoid, so I replaced that, and that's when my plow started freaking out, like something is stuck on. Got a thread going right now trying to determine if I bought a junk replacement solenoid or I got a short in the harness.

Basically I have continuous voltage at one of the smaller wires leading into the solenoid, it stays on even without triggering the joystick. Even when the truck is off!

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Change battery this summer? Maybe the black wire with orange stripe was connected to the 12 volt power not the ground.