1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

why is my lift cylinder leaking brown?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by birddseedd, Jan 14, 2012.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

why is my lift cylinder leaking brown?

2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

:laughing:

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If your fluid is brown then any fluid that leaks will be brown. Other than that it may be you had moisture inside the ram and it rusted causing the fluid to appear brown. In either case I would be pulling the ram apart for examination and if the fluid is in deed brown in the reservoir replace the fluid.

4. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

down or brown ?:mechanic:

5. birddseedd

iv ran several gallons of atf through the pump.

ram better not be rusted beyond repair :realmad:

6. mishnick

If it is an old isarmatic uni the ram body is aluminum so there is no worry. You can always replace the piston and gland nut if they are pitted with rust. What do you mean by "running gallons of atf through the pump"? Does it leak that much that you have to fill it up all the time? What kind of plow is it? Ultra, uni, straight blade, cable controlled?

7. birddseedd

cable controlled western blade and pump. the freeze plug was leaking for some time, and a few other leaks i had getting it working. its not leaking now. there are a few pits in the ram, but you can see it is leaking. not horribly. but is leaking. which does mean there's less pressure in it. but toward the end of the day today, it did seem to have lots of trouble lifting.

8. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

That fluid should be changed AT LEAST every 10 years, weather it needs it or not.

9. birddseedd

i have ran at least 3 gallons through it since i bought it last year.

10. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

So I'm guessing that it was sitting for at least a few years with the same old fluid that was run for who knows how long...you probably just loosened up the gunk in the pump has has accumulated. With the leaks, crud inside & pitted rams it's only a matter of time before your pump fails or freezes up on you...especially with these cold temps. I'd get a seal kit, some new rams and flush the hell out of it...and put in the right fluid when it's done. If it's foaming out of the fluid fill cap...your almost there.

11. mishnick

Western recommends changing the fluid every fall just before plow season starts. If you are going ten years you are asking for trouble.

12. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

10 years was a half joke, only because I don't think it's too far fetched from the description of symptoms.

13. birddseedd

i have no idea. it could have sat that long. part of the pump came off. i replaced the o ring and put it back on, but i did notice some "sledge" on it. tho it didnt look like anythign that coudl be "flushed" had to scrap it out with my finger. wasent much tho.

thinkin of it that is probably where the discoleration came from.

ill have to try to get it clean when i replace the seals.

14. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

If you are plowing residential driveways , you are going to have some pissed off customers when they see that you have dumped oil all over their properties ! If you're going to stay in this business you need to find a way to upgrade your equipment and operate like a pro . I stopped to plow a drive that an old lady was shoveling one day . She said she didn't like to have her driveway plowed , because it left oil all over the place . I explained to her that all plows don't do that , and made a deal with her . I would plow her drive for the rest of that season , for a per plow price , and at the end of the season if she could find any leaked oil on her property , she didn't have to pay me . I have been plowing her for 7 years now and have received several referrals from her . All people that had leaky rigs plowing for them ! Leave no stone unturned in you quest to do a journyman job , at wahtever you do !

15. birddseedd

well. once the part failed i had to short chain the plow and take it home. that part wasnt leaking beforre then and once fixed it didnt leak so the only oil that got anywhere was from the initial brake. the cylinder has a small leak, but not even enough to dribble down the side of the pump. ill be picking those parts up in the next day or so.

i keep having to fix things, but i do get them fixed and am pretty much at the end of what all parts can go out. so once i get the cylender fixed, i SHOULD, be set.

obviously anything can brake at any time.

16. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

Yes they can , especially when they're already tired !