1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why is it that....???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Wicked500R, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

Every Western or Fisher plow I see no matter how old...The paint is shot, peeling, flaking, etc. and the blades are rusted and look like crapola! I really want to purchase a Fisher 8' straight blade for my truck but won't because of this. And because of this...I have to say that the Meyer C series is the best straight blade available. The Meyer paint and finish is far superior to the others. Who really wants a plow that starts to rust out in a couple seasons??

2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Fisher and Western both had powdercoat problems in the from the late 90s until recently. Meyer continued to use paint and indeed has a much better finish.

It is actually the powdercoat that pops off the metal. All my older Fishers have been blasted and painted and now hold up fine.

3. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

Wicked, Have you considered the Western poly blades?

4. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

So go with Meyer and maybe it will be the paint that holds the damn thing together for you (because nothing else seems to be doing it).

5. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Wow! it's gettin harsh in here.

6. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

sorry

it all come's down to preperation before paint!

7. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

If you take care of your equipment you won't have that problem. It takes about 5 minutes (not even that) to spray your plow down after an event. Get the salt off and you won't have problems.

8. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

in my opinion fisher makes a good plow. it is true that the powder coat seems to peel (fall off). if your concerned about having to paint it five years after you buy it then dont buy one. i do agree that it is rather disturbing and annoying to spend that amount of money on something and have the paint fall off.. at the same time though i try to remember its just a plow and meant to push snow in often highly corrosive conditions..

9. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

Your just one of those Haters.... I've been using Meyer equipment for the 15 years I've been doing commercial snow removal and I've seen and used Meyer blades that are over 20 years old and never have a problem! And, I've seen them bashed pretty #^#^$#^& hard and they don't break! So, I don't know what your talkin' about.:gunsfiring:

As for Poly....I like to have the weight of the steel for scraping

10. Bporter

Bporter Senior Member

I want to re-paint my western 7 1/2 any suggestions on what other people have done.

11. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

dont know about fisher but western seems to be holding up better than they use to
    the company i sub for has 20 western sitting in their yard uncovered and they look as good as new

JR

12. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Easily solve this problem by going with a Boss. They boast the best finish and corrosion protection in the industry. This will be the 3rd year my Boss is in service and still looks brand new.
    Im not really a fan of poly either, but if you go Boss the polys are heavier then the steel because of the reinforcing.

13. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

Meyer poly are heavier too.

14. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

My latest plow, is rhinoliner bed liner coated. The front was then shot with a clearcoat so the paint dosent stick. No rust at all.

15. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

pics

any pics, would like to see this