1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

why is everyone in a hurry for snow.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mole, Oct 31, 2003.

1. mole

mole Senior Member

Why is everyone in a hurry to get snow?. Do you not get paid up front?. I do Im sitting with my money in the bank right now plow on concrete in the drive way hoping for no snow. All my money is up front all res and comm. 56 accounts. Well after writing this I for got most of you guys are commercial and u guys do it per push and per inch. I only have three commercial accounts easy ones the rest are res. but still I dont understand the guys that are res why don't you guys get your money up front. my contract goes from nov 1 to april 1st. no sidewals just driveways. except of course for the comm.

2. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

A true plower loves the SNOW itself just as much as the GREEN you recieve in the end. Thats just my opinion.

Jay

3. Jay ALC

Jay ALC Senior Member

I'm strictly commercial here, and besides that, money isn't the issue. We all love to go play in the snow, you know that right? :D Yes, the money doesn't hurt but snow for me is not that dependable so it's not any big chunk of change you can count on. Right now we're still doing landscape maintenance and installs here.

4. XPECTATIONS

XPECTATIONS Member
    from SE PA

snow

When it snows we have fun, and make some money!!

Per push is more lucrative than seasonal when it snows. You have your money, Unless it snows everyday,Then you lose your shirt. Your service mix should be balanced.

J. Allen how much would you have been in the hole,on your seasonal, if you did not have Per push.

5. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

I don't need the money up front. I'd rather have a mix of seasonal and per push. THat way I don't get burned if there is a bad winter. I like about a 50/50 mix.

So you forgot, then obviously remembered, but you still posted the thread.. hmmm........

6. ROSELAWN

ROSELAWN Member

I second Jay's comment that true plowers love the snow,I think it is nature at it's purest and I am more than lucky to be able to make money from managing it. I do almost everything by the push or salting. We have enough equipment to make several rounds and therefore bill more work that way and the customers love the clean lots. So it doesn't make sense to do it seasonal.payup

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

While I love to play in the snow,the money can't be beat either.Most of our stuff is all seasonal,so we are getting paid when it doesn't snow,but the salting is where the big $$$ are.Once the snow starts,the salting starts,and that's what I'm waiting for. :D

8. Little Jay

Little Jay Senior Member

Plowing is fun
    Snow is beautiful
    Driving in snow is a riot
    Watching people get up in the am and go to work on freshly plowed roads after a big snow is satisfying
    No matter how old you get, you still feel like a juvenille with his hair on fire when you fill up your blade with the glorious white fluffy stuff and send it flying...
    Im geting goose bumps

9. winterweatherservices

winterweatherservices Junior Member
    from pa

What a stupid post

10. windmill

windmill Senior Member

Which one????
    You're new to the board by the looks of it, so welcome aboard.
    Please be careful when you make a post like you did you might find it will bite you back in the future.:eek:
    You'll find all kinds of posts here, good ones, sarcastic (in a nice sense with smilies), ones that have been repeated a thousand times by some who don't check out the FAQ's, titillating ones that sometimes provokes a heated debate, some that make you wonder about the rampant rise in substance abuse, and many more, but I don't think I've ever seen a stupid post, and if I have I probably promptly forgot about it or ignored it. I wouldn't respond to it unless I had some positive criticism to at least promote the author.
    I've enjoyed this thread and learned something new, if not about contracts or per push, then certainly about the people who have responded:) .

11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Agreed.

12. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

windmill, a find respone and nicely put:drinkup:

13. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

snowplowing is the most fun you can have with your clothes
    on

if i didnt have a mortgage, insurance ,tuition and all the other things that cost money
    payup

id do it for free

cardoctor:yow!:

14. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Mole whats not to love about snow? I can't wait for snow. Plowing it is just mone of the many great things about snow. I for one love the cold weather as well. The money isn't always the only reason we want snow.payup

15. tovoninc

tovoninc Senior Member

Ever since I was a little kid I have loved being in the snow. With or without a plowing business....."Let it snow....Let it snow...Let it snow!":D

16. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

ditto!

17. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Just dreaming of the day........................

f350plow01.jpg

18. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Yes I too like snow ,but if i had 50 plus accounts that paid up front i would have to agree with mole. You would actually make more if it did not snow, as snowplowing operating costs, would lessen your profit. I have no accounts as of yet that pay up front so... Let it snow!!

19. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

For the guys who are in it just for the money, then sure they would be happiest if they collected all the money and didnt have to plow a drop of snow. But some of us like to actually do snowplowing, like me and Jay for instance. I love to be out there in it, just as much as I like to make the money from it. Its also something to look forward to. When you hear the forecast a few days in advance, you get psyched! Then the night or so before the storm, you put the plow on and test it out. Then the night it is supposed to snow, I sit by the window waiting to see the first flake fall and I say to myself, here it comes! Its pretty exciting I think. Mike :drinkup:

20. campi

campi Member

like pushing snow!!!!!

I agree with mlke !!!! Campi !!!!!