1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why im not happy with meyer plows!

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by supercuts, Dec 8, 2009.

1. supercuts

supercuts Senior Member

I just joined plowsite almost soley to come on and talk about the problems ive had with meyer and why i never should have bought the last 2. ive had an ez mount, (2) MDII's, and an EZ plus. To start, how sad is it that most of us have spent hundreds, if not over $1000, on a spare pump. meyers huge flaw is their pumps. they will leave you stranded at the worst of times. they freeze, they fail. most of the problems come from the horrible ABC valves and covers. to top that off, ive been told by a high up Meyer employee the most of the freezing problems were due to a chemical used to clean the parts durring assembly and the entire system needs a true flush, not just a fluid change, in order to fix this problem(so they claim). i am disgusted that i spend nearly $5000 on a plow and i have to carry a spare pump and or torch with me?

next, why do meyer plows rust so much quicker then fisher plows? its because fisher uses material more like angle iron while meyer uses a C chanel support. fisher is able to spray all material and meyer cant reach bare metal under the C chanel. so, they rust from under the C chanel, then across the mold boards.

im most upset because i have a meyer ez plus that turned 2 years old 3 weeks ago and its in worse shape then my 5 yr old MDII.

I think my next plow will be a fisher or Boss. no more meyer mistakes, and the last 2 plows mistakes were to keep them all interchangable. i had a spare pump, and i wasnt familiar with other brands.

2. Deco

Deco Senior Member

one good thing about them ,atleast they are consistant in something and easy to work on :laughing:

3. supercuts

supercuts Senior Member

oh yeah, i just heard from meyer to ask them why my 2 yr old plow is all rusty near welds and joints, and my 5 yr old plow isnt nearly as bad. their responce was rust isnt covered.

IMG_1276.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1288.jpg

4. supercuts

supercuts Senior Member

would you tell me to buy a Boss? do you preffer it over a Fisher? ive only ever used meyer. i did buy a Boss V in 05' but the guy didnt have it in stock and messed around with me

5. Deco

Deco Senior Member

believe me , they read these forums DAILY . :nod:

6. supercuts

supercuts Senior Member

im asking people with other brands to please tell me what they like and dislike with their plows. here is my 5 yr old plow in better shape

IMG_1286.jpg

7. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

they aren't great thats for sure. western or boss. i like red plows!

8. CaptainSmokey

CaptainSmokey Senior Member

I started off plowing for a landscape company and useing a meyers plow and then they got in a few boss plows and got in the truck one night with the boss plow. I learned witch one i liked more and now i own a Boss and will stick with it . :nod:

9. Deco

Deco Senior Member

i always douched or marinated my blades with diesel fuel after washing the salt off . get them ready for the next event .
    keeps them shiny and new

10. supercuts

supercuts Senior Member

good hopefully they can retify my problem

11. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I love western plows they have always held up well. I put fuel on mine after i clean it too. Never used a Boss but i have never heard anyone say bad things, I used to plow with all meyers stuff, i stopped because of the freeze up's and the crappy pumps. We had one that only had to do one car dealer and would freeze before we could get done with the lot. No idea where all that water came from, we rebuilt it and flushed and could never figure it out. Thank god someone stole the plow and headgear, now we have a western on that truck. Problem solved. Not to mention Meyer prices are HIGH for the quality.

12. silvercity

silvercity Senior Member

Hey when you ready to junk those plows call me and I'll come pick them up. All we run is Meyer and Diamond and you can never have enough parts lol.....

13. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Can never have enough parts with meyer.

I agree with everything you said, they are incredibly over priced for their low quality. Had nothing but problems and for soem reason I kept using them, After I blew a pump that was only a year and a half old,,blew a hole right through the block, I decided it was time to go red, and will see how things go this year.

14. craiggenz

craiggenz Junior Member

I agree with your issues 100% i have been fighting the same thing since day one with my EZ express. in addition to the above complaints, i have an 8'6" with wings,MADE BY MEYER FOR THIS PLOW, i had to cut apart to make fit,( good thing i am a fabricator..) i broke the first 6 sets of cutting edge bolts off before i found out they were grade 3 bolts they were selling me, i carry AT LEAST 8 quarts of oil at all times as well as a torch, i took oil samples from day one and after one use i get water water and the fluid looks like crap.... this has been by far the absolute worst plow i have ever had.. i have had more down time than up time it seems in the last two years. never again will i purchase another meyer product.:realmad:

15. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

This Boss plow is probably 20yrs old. We have owned it for about 4-5 years. We have blown one line and that was because it wore through from rubbing on the lift chain. It has been bullet proof. It does have some small rust holes here and there from the previous owners but I always put a fresh coat of paint on at some point in the off season.

I will continue to stick with Boss and western.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  16. supercuts

supercuts Senior Member

i thinking of selling both and going to boss plows. open to real offers, mine you this ez plus was almost $5k 2 years old, plow ct shoreline which doesnt get much snow, and was really only used last season. the 2nd plow is a 5 yr old MDII with an E60h pump. the EZ plus has an E58 i believe. send me some offers. if they are REAL offers ill consider switching this year. both are 8 1/2' plows. if i sell them, i also have a spare H pump for them. bad money year so i dont get enough, ill wait till next year.

17. supercuts

supercuts Senior Member

to top it off, i just got off the phone with Lou, from meyer. my dealer had sent him an email explaining my 2 yr old plow was in worse shape then my 5yr old plow. his answer, too bad, we dont warrentee rust. so i asked my buddy Lou if there is some chance my blade is old since it was so faded when i got it brand new. he is looking into it to see if i was sold old stock,. and if it is, he said that is between me and the dealer! F'in meyer. what was i thinking?? he had no explaination as to why or how this could have happened and he really didnt seem to care. he also told me they have not changed any painting methods on these style plows. AND.... he never gave me his extension, so i took forever to get intouch with him. so i call him on it, he tells me HE DOESNT HAVE AN EXTENSION!!!!! i said thats funny, because i know its 214! what a liar!

to top it all off we had 4" of snow last night. so im out plowing today when my good friend lou was calling, but i couldnt answer because i was on the side of the road in pouring rain(the snow changed over) soaking wet BECAUSE MY PLOW DIDNT WORK and was stuck down!! luckily, it was in part my fault. i say in part because had meyer made a reliable plow in first place i wouldnt need to swap pumps out each storm and i wouldnt have left one power line bolt the slightest bit lose. so, i didnt tighten the bolt all the way last time but i shouldnt have to in the first place. ever do 4 driveways without lifting or angling a plow??

any buyers, both on fords, an 00' and an 08' both 8 1/2'

18. craiggenz

craiggenz Junior Member

been there, done that on dealing with Lou, i feel your pain. As far as the welds rusting, it's due to the prep pre-paint. if the mat'l isn't blasted or wired brushed, the silicon in the wire acts as a cleaning agent,( the brown bubbly crap on the top of the weld, which is good. it brings the impurities OUT of the weld) it flakes off the paint/powder coating. AKA, poor quality control and lazines.

19. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

I love these manufacturer bashing threads...its kind of a testament to how ridiculous some of the claims really are.

I bought a plow truck and Meyer ST7.5 in 1988...and I still have it, it has only frozen up on me once, I change the fluid every year, and yeah I carry spare parts...but once I figured out the Meyer 90 deg swivels were the problem, i bought the forged kind. no more problems.

Let's start with your first claim...freezing...obviously this is a fluid problem. Are you seriously blaming Meyer PUMPS for a FLUID problem? One of the local old timers here suggested a western seal to replace the upper piston seal...but, I've never had any trouble getting water inside my pump, so I've never tried it. I also have always used Angelo's HFG fluid. It was my understanding that it would meet or exceed the requirements for use in my meyer E47 pumps and I havent been disappointed.

Now let's review your older plow holding up better than your newer plow....NEWSFLASH..its a trend. and a trend in production that isnt going away anytime soon. My old 88 ford may have been a pile of hod, but it was less of a pile of hod than my 99 superduty. it's just the way things go. as companies take more orders its a fact of life that they have to make more products faster, and cheaper. get used to it. the same is true for toasters, houses, trucks, plows, guitars, and computers. companies dont just "not give a crap" about quality...but it is a cost of doing business. in order to meet demand you build to your market and you build as fast and cheap as you can...unfortunately, its a proven business model.

Both of my old meyer plows are completely rust free and they sit outside in the off season, seldom get washed off between events, etc. they arent abused, but they arent royalty either.

As far as your dealers reaction to your calls for help...his hands are tied. If the equipment wasn't rusty when it left, it doesnt matter if it was 20 years old. It is YOUR equipment, YOU own it. It's up to YOU to take steps to prevent rust and corrosion. It may or may not have been caused by a lazy employee who didn't prep the welds that day. the bottom line is, your rust problems arent structural problems. they are cosmetic, and no Boss, Western, or other dealer would be able to prevent that any better than a Meyer dealer. Check out the Blizzard forums for crappy finishes and rusty welds. It's not a Meyer specific problem, it's a steel problem. unfortunately steel and salt are never gonna be friends.

If you want to contest Meyer's design or their philosophy, fine. but it just seems silly to start a Meyer bashing thread when it seems obvious that YOU are ultimately in control of your situation....NOT MEYER.

For the record, I prefer Meyer plows because they are considerably lighter, far simpler in design, easier to repair and vastly more reliable than anything else I've experienced. That's not to say I don't have my eye on a new Boss V one of these days :) But I've been using the same pair of plows for so many years now, I don't have any reason to switch...but I like red , lol

My research has led me to believe that at least for now, Boss makes the best combination of strength, reliability, customer service and performance...but that doesn't come without its disadvantages too.

20. supercuts

supercuts Senior Member

they are maintaned the same, stored the same, washed the same, used the same. so since conditions are identical help me understand how it is something i did? as far as the freezing, my fluid is changed every year at the dealer. the first storm after having it changed it frooze. needless to say i was pissed. this was about 5 years ago. AND, TO PROVE YOU WRONG meyer themselves told me it was a problem they finally figure out that it was infact caused by the company that makes the angle pistons and that they used a cleaning agent that would freeze. he also told me a simple changing a fluid sometimes doesnt cut it.

so get off your high horse, time to face the music. getting off the phone with meyer today, it appears that my plow was shipped and sat outside since 7/06 and bought 11/24/08. so it sat out for amost 2 1/2 years before i got it which explains the fading on the back of the moldborad and the rust on that side. I GOT A BUM $5000 PLOW AND I AM PISSED. i have every right to be upset because ive done things right such as changing fluid anually and i should have these problems. fisher and boss dont have these valve/pump issues and you said yourself you carry spare parts. face it, they suck. so go and get your Boss plow and smart'n up!