1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why Illinois Why?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by UnitedInc, Nov 11, 2014.

1. UnitedInc

UnitedInc Member

So sent a quote for a driveway and sidewalks to have snow cleared at a resi. told them 30 for drive and 10 for sidewalks and walks to the front door... fair I think.
    Today they told me a guy is going to do it for 27.00 for the driveway, sidewalks and walkway to door? Wtf!

final Thought ......... Shame on you and when you get a shop and actual insurance and pay W/C you will realize how much you hold the Industry back.:mad:

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

What you described is $35.00 for driveway and walks in my area.

3. UnitedInc

UnitedInc Member

So yea im like 5 higher than you hes 7 less. do you wait till the end? what if theres 8" in the drive?

4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Is this per push or a flat price for the whole storm?

5. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

It's laughable. You should hear what I got offered to plow a Kohls for the season yesterday. And resi around my area is a joke. There a landscaper that has two young kids working for him, running around in snowblowers. Charging $20/drive

6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Per push, plow in am and pm. 1-6"~$35.00, 6" + ~ $45.00. I have four stretching out about 1/8 mile from the 1st to the last and knock all of them out in about 40min running solo.

7. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

You should plow the jewel parking lot by you, last year was a joke. And agreed homes snow removal is a way to cheap.

8. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Can you post a pic of one of them? How much walk? Do you clear the front of the garage door. Just trying to get a gauge of what type of account you're doing for $35. I had quite a few at $40 but my prices basically doubled in heavy snow. I usually had a walk near the street and one to the front door, and always cleared by the garage and mailbox. If you're only getting $10 more for 6"+ you must not do much walk or hand work.

9. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

I asked about it. Remember, I work there 2 days a week. Ya know what their budget is for "grounds"??

That includes Landscaping AND Snow.

How about $8,000! Yep. 8 grand for 12 months of "grounds" upkeep. The snow is worth $10k with salt considering the liability involved. And that's why that lot looked like dogsh!t all year.

10. snowcommander

snowcommander Junior Member

We charge a flat $40 for a normal sized driveway. Usually includes the sidewalks unless they already have it done. Salt is extra. Depending on the driveway it can get more expensive than that. Ones that are out of town or on a hill usually range from $50 to $60. They understand. They don't have to do it themselves and I'm the only one that advertises in my area..lol

11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

This is typical of the four I have in this subdivision. Pull in, blade out, push on grass, shovel along garage door and walks. Mailboxes are in a central location in the subdivision which makes things easy. They take about 7-8min each for 1-6" and over 6" it's about 10min each. I've had these for 5yrs, gave them a $5.00 increase 2yrs ago.
    Like you hinted, not much hand work.

11-11-2014.png

12. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Thanks, $35 seems right on something like that. I would be higher for more snow but since your pricing is working for you then good deal. I also know that like everything else, residential pricing has fallen off too. It wouldn't matter so much if the work around here didn't require so much sidewalk and hand work. You need bodies and vehicles which drives up our costs.

13. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Given the amount of total square footage these property's have along with amount of hand work they go really quick and would morally struggle charging more than a $10.00 bump. I could probably squeeze another $5.00 or $7.50 out of them for the higher amounts, but they've never questioned billings, been with me for 5yrs and pay within days of being invoiced. They are what I would consider great customer's. Also the majority of our storms are sub 6" and why risk loosing accounts like these for a few dollars when it's a borderline mute point.
    As you pointed out this market is tough when it comes to pricing but it can also be very profitable too depending on the property's.

In this subdivision I've seen 4 tan guys hop out of a pickup with shovels and blow through a driveway in the same time it takes me. I have no idea what they charge, nor do I know if they legit when it comes to business or citizenship. I'm sure this type of this is all over the country and it's tough to compete with them.

14. starspangled6.0

starspangled6.0 Senior Member

Come to MN... one of our bigger competitors just sent out a flyer, advertising a $35 minimum rate for driveways :D

15. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I have a $44 Minimum driveway rate, there are others that will do it for less. I tell people this. But who can you call and always get service? Who comes back after the Town or City fills the end of the driveway again because it is included? By staying close to my shop I can keep service off the charts with minimum extra time.
    So I lose some to the low ballers but who cares I get the good paying ones. :) Sell them the Service not the Job.

16. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Seasonal they pay once we're done. Money is in the bank if it don't snow I'm good, if it does hourly billing jobs balance it out.

17. UnitedInc

UnitedInc Member

Per Push. If they want to wait till the end that's fine but price goes up after 6".

18. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

we have a 35 dollar minimum for driveways per push but most are 40 and they go up from there. usually another 20 bucks for shoveling walk and garage doors. It's all per push and shoveling is done at the end on big storms. Anything over a foot is automatically double and over 18" is automatically triple. Shoveling coincides with the number of times plowed. So even though we only shoveled it once if it was plowed twice it means we got 7-8" of snow or more so they are charged twice etc. etc. It's all spelled out to them and they agree to it. We aren't the highest in the area either but we aren't the lowest and a lot of guys don't wanna shovel. It's a pretty good area in that most of the houses we service are in the 500k to 1 mil range and a small percentage are higher than a mil. I can't imagine doing a more than a 1 truck route at 27 bucks to plow and shovel unless you had like 20 or more within a quarter mile. If you were doing it by yourself maybe but paying labor and fuel and equipment costs....i just dont see it.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014