1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why I Need To Make Good Money for this!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ADK, Dec 11, 2007.

1. ADK

ADK Member

So after 3 years of commercial plowing with all my own accounts I decide to schedule a quick 4 night trip to Florida to visit family next week. I have lined up someone to cover my route 2 months ago. So last night I stop over his house with the paper works, and phone numbers, and he tells me he's going out of town this weekend!!! Long story short, it looks like possibly 3 plow able events this coming week so the trip is off :dizzy: Hotel fees, airline fees...... looks like about $1000 lost......So when people want to know why I can't plow there driveway for $10.00 :angry:...I need to be avalible 24/7 for about 6 months out of the year. Can never go more then an hour or two out of the area............Sorry long rant.......Kind of let some people down on this one......

2. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Your back-up guy should be the one cancelling his trip. Was it a buddy? If he didn't offer to cancel his trip, maybe he isn't.
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Never really gone away since I've been in my teens. PITA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would hold a grudge against him.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Call me old fashion but you snowplow and you want to go on vacation in the middle of the season?:confused:
  5. ADK

ADK Member

No, WAS a guy that worked for me in the past. That will not happen again. Apparently his trip to NJ to pick up a "free" snowblower will now cost him a winter of work with me. I wouldn't have minded if he told me a week ahead of time, but I can;t make diffrent plans with 2 days notice..........On the up side, 3 storms this week to make the green.........Doesn't really weight out, but have to look on the up side.
  6. ADK

ADK Member

"OLD FASHION" :jester:
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

To me, it's just the nature of the business. You don't go anywhere during your winter months (for me middle of Oct to Apr). This year, I missed my Dad's 80th birthday celebration. They rented a hall and had a big get together for family and friends from his small town in Iowa. Since he had a stroke last month, not likely to be another. My wife is already wondering if I'll quit plowing so we can go on vacations during the winter after she retires in five years.
  8. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Exactly. Missing x-mas, parties, kids stuff and yes even some perfect hunting days. All part of the game. My son was born on Jan. 17th 2003, right in the middle of a storm. The nurse called, said you need to get here now, so I did, then left about an hour he was born. The snow stopped 2 days later in time for me to return and pick them up.

I missed 2 out of town paid for trips this year, because of usless help that said they would do something and then something came up. So, I don't feel sorry for you.