1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why I hate ice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JTVLandscaping, Feb 6, 2011.

1. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

Since my girlfriend got this rant tonight, I'll put it up here...As I'm driving her to dinner tonight, and we had freezing rain with thunder and lightning (this was awesome by the way) I see all sorts of guys out spreading parking lots. The only lot that didn't seem to be done was the restaraunt we went to. It just made me mad since I have 2 lots that were awful but since they only wanted to pay for a 2" trigger, they won't be getting done. I try to sell them an "all inclusive" seasonal contract for more money but no deal. Now for the 2nd time this year these lots are complete ice and I'm out money since they tell me they only have the contract money budgeted for snow this year. I just can't sleep knowing those lots are in that shape but they won't shell out the cash. At least I had a giftcard to cover dinner. Anyone else have clients like this, I'd really like to know what I can do to rest easy with this giant headache.
  2. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

when you make your contract before they sign it, now i could be wrong I'm going by what a friend of mine told me ,that salting must be done cause my insurance is on this and i have to get paid for salting, so that means you must make some kind of deal with them that you have to salt and you would have to get paid for it, but do not include it in your plowing price you could lose money.
  3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

You may be able to convince the customer of that, but my guess is they will just find someone else to plow the lot. Budgets rule in todays economy, and business have cut those budgets, on the easy stuff first. Less plowing, salting, mowing, more part time employees, and less maintenance. So by telling them they have to salt the lot, is just giving them the green light to find someone else. I have 2 places that I plow that refuse salt for every event, just to save a couple dollars. Nothing I can do, but make them assume all liability, and sign off when they refuse salting.
  4. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

I'd explain to them that you're scraping it up one way or the other. If you leave it it just refreezes harder and then gets snowed on, so next time you come you're trying to scrape up refrozen ice with the fresh snow and your plow is going to be tripping losing snow and scraping some ice up, leaving some, not scraping low enough........ yuck

Look up how much an inch of ice weighs. It's like 5" of snow or something.

Don't allow them to get away with that. You're plowing up that old crusty ice for free- at a time when it's harder on the truck.
  5. Omran

Omran Senior Member
    from KY

I agree with you, because it is not only about pushing snow, it is all about keeping the public safe, infact you have less chance to fall on groung walking on snow than walking on Ice, I told the guy I do his lot either I do it all or he signe an agreement that it is his insurance which in charge if otherwise, ofcourse he told me just go ahead and do it all the way it should be done.
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

dont worry about their lot....it was their decision
  7. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

I can see salting a lot during a freezing rain storm or after. However there is way to much salt being spread on the lots by contractors. Instead of plowing they salt it off. Management wants salt, however if they just wait with the residual on the lot by 10 am ( at least here, probably sooner in the warmer climes) its back to the black. What about the environment.???????????
  8. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I sleep best when my lots are white with salt. My good accounts are dry before the road crews get the streets wet. That's how I like it.
  9. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Doesn't seem like there is much to do about it. I had a few restaurant's that were the same way and there was nothing you could tell the that would change their minds. I am perfectionist about what my stuff looks like when I'm done so I understand your concerns but its out of your hands. I like my lots to be melted down to pavement but the guys around here use way way to much salt. My lots are usually white after everything drys during the day. I talked to another plow guy the other day and he said he had used 20 tons of salt this past week and all he has is a factory about the size of one I do and I only used 12 tons and mine looked 100% better than his. I feel sorry for that factory as I'm sure they are getting bent over big time by him.