1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

why I don't like plowing for really old people

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by riverwalkland, Mar 7, 2008.

1. riverwalkland

riverwalkland Senior Member

Half way through last year, when plowing a customer of mine, this old lady (neighbor of my customer) asked me to do her driveway. I did it and she asked I do it for the rest of the year. I went by the first storm this year and I asked if she'd like me to do it again. She said, yes she needs a plow person, but she didn't know if I'd do a good job, since I had never done her driveway before.:rolleyes: I told her I did it for most of last year, and she agreed and asked me to do it for this year. I did it all year, except once when I went by and noticed it was done when I got there. I was confused, but just left. Came back after that and continued doing it all year. Upon sending her most recent bill I get a phone call. She asked me to stop plowing her driveway, as she has had the same person for over 6 years, and I was not supposed to be hired by her. She said she did not know she hired two people :dizzy: . I told her that was fine, and sort of asked why she had hired me. She said she remembers me plowing all winter, but does not remember asking me to do it. The funny thing is several times while I was doing it earlier this winter, she came out and chit chitted and thanked me for coming. She paid up, and I closed the account. The thing I don't get is, if she had hired two people, why didn't the other plow guy complain that someone else was plowing his drive. I know if one of my customers was plowed out every single time all year when I got there (except once, when i was an hour behind schedule), i'd be calling the customer to ask whats up. Oh well... I guess this is why I don't like plowing for people who are senile
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  2. bdhunter

bdhunter Senior Member

It's called 'synapses lapses' AKA 'senior moments'.

Like the old guy that was told by his doctor that he only had weeks to live, and on top of that had Alzheimers. "Whew" he said "I was afraid you said I had Alzheimers"

That's why the contracts should be on big fridge magnets. ;-)

But hey! She paid! Old but honest - and she had the cleanest driveway in town - all winter.
  3. salopez

salopez Senior Member

having had 3 grand parents with alziemers I would be more upset with the other contractor then the old lady. he is taking advantage of her...plus where is her family?
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Did you notice that someone else was also plowing?

Are you sure there is another person?

If she's very confused you may be both people.

Have you considered asking her neighbors if there is another guy?

I would hate to think she will have no one, and not understand why.

Some day dude, if you're lucky you'll be old, think of what you'd want someone to do for you.

5. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Here here. :salute:
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Agreed. If you can and want; you might do a little asking around. That happened to me a couple years ago - a guy hired me; then when I called him the next fall to confirm plowing that winter, he had no idea who I was and denied that I had never plowed for him. I called his sister and told her what had happened. He'd had a stroke and wasn't "doing so good". A nephew wound up plowing, cause he had convinced himself that I was just ripping him off and wouldn't listen to anybody. But at least the family knew what was going on and could watch out for him.
  7. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

If she paid you all is well. But, like said above you should watch out or ask neighbors or her family. I had a neighbor with alzheimers who locked herself into her house many times with double keyed deadbolts. She would go out driving and forget who she was and where she lived. The police would knock on the door and ask if I knew her. Once she walkedd into my house and asked who I was and why I was in her house. Just think if that was your grandmother what would you want the plow guy to do?
  8. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

I ahve an older lady like this too. She knows me and I am the only one plowing, but when I talk to her she acts like she just talked to me a few days before and its usually a month or so between times. I do it for free because she has got very little money. She always tells me she wants to pay me, but I always refuse.
  9. riverwalkland

I know there is another guy who plows for her, as she both named him (and I know of him), and because it was plowed by him once when I was 30 min late like I said. As far as her family, her son lived with her right up untill about a month ago, and he had been making numerous requests to me about where i put the snow etc, so she has family there with her. I've gone by since and it's been plowed.. I don't feel I in any way disrespected her, I plowed her drive for free several times, and was very understanding, and did not bring up the fact that I had a contract with her for a service that she was just cancelling which technically she cannot just do, but I let her do it anyways. I also left her my number and name incase she ever needs a plow guy again if hers stops plowing as he is pretty old himself.
  10. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

The people I hate are the ones that have a half-million dollar house 2 brand new cadillacs a lexus and a boat and tell you they can't afford to pay because they are on a "fixed income" Those are the ones that get to me. When they think you are a moron and don't see the $150,000 plus in cars. So, now if someone tells me they are on a "fixed income" and They are driving a car worth as much as my house. I add a stupid charge. They think I'm stupid they can pay extra
  11. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

There one lady near me. Her son alway at work start 11 a.m. and come home 11 p.m.

She look to be 75 to 80 years old but she was super model long time ago. I am not sure what her last name is but will check.

When I ask her nice if she want me plow snow she say yes but she say wait then hit her head with her hand to try remember what her son told her. Then she finally remember that her son is stop at our house to visit me and pay for clear snow.

Sound she is soon to get Alzheimer in several years but hope she will live until 90 years.

There another old people. Man ask me if I plow his driveway when there snow I told his yes. He not very strict how I clear but suggested me if I could push snowpile far from garage because he have hard time get car out without worry hit snowpile. But his wife kind strict and hope I do great job like no snow on driveway or patio. It for 10 dollars? What I do but next year I will say my brother will do for them. P.S. my brother can't use my tractor so he must use shovel or snowblower.wesport
  12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

That's good. I was only suggesting you follow up as I see you did.:salute:
  13. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

Not to step on anyones toes, but shouldn't this be in the "private" thread section? (to the OP)... I don't think it's right talking about our elders like that. Very rude. You are the professional, act like one.
  14. riverwalkland

I guess i should have called it 'why i don't like to plow for crazy people' not old people
  15. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

thats wat this place is for.... dont read it if u dont like it.
  16. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Soooo, you shouldn't talk about issues w/ others in an effort to gain better judgment in how to deal w/ a certain type of customer?
    I don't see it as a problem. Riverwalk isn't being purposely disrespectful.
    Its the same as if (and many of us have) you talked about the PITA woman customer or the PITA man customer.
    Riverwalk hasn't mentioned any names and has protected the innocent(LOL).
  17. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

Would have been alot different if he put it that way. PITA is not the same as calling an elder senile. I just feel it's being disrespectful to our elders. Remember, you're gonna be there one day, if you're lucky. :dizzy:

After all he did say...
    My mother happens to have that condition and I don't think it's too nice or very professional to talk about older folks like that. Perhaps if I happened to call your mother or father an old bag or similar. Would you think that's nice? Now before you get bent out of shape, I'm not calling your parents that, nor would I ever. I'm trying to prove a point. The point that It just isn't right, politically correct, or whatever you might want to call it to name call someone of that age when they have a medical condition that they can't do a thing about.

18. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I myself can understand both points being made here. I side w/ Riverwalk, you disagree. Thats fine. We agree to disagree.
    I myself have a difficult older lady whom I've tolerated for several years now in the L/C side of my business. She's just never been the same since her husband passed from prostrate cancer (a very long drawn out death in this case) I consider her life now and understand but at the same time she frustrates the pajeebers out of me!!!!
    So point is: older people(remember they are people-treat them as such) can require more care than others who just want to be a PITA. Whatever their reason for "instability" it MAY be talked about as long as no names are mentioned and the issue is treated w/ respect / professionalism.
  19. riverwalkland

My grandfather recently passed, and he had bad dimensia. I know what its like. I didn't say I think they are bad people, I simply said why I don't like to plow for them. I simply find it lfrustrating to work with 'forgetful' people because they always act like I am trying to pull one over on them. The truth is I am often plowing thier drive for free, or doing them first because I know its harder to get around when you are older. I deal with it during the summer as well. There are those however who are older, and are great customers. It's not the age, its the dimensia I don't enjoy working with. I'd be crabby too if I could not remember what day it was or why someones mowing my lawn. But I still feel i have the right to say working for this type of person is no fun.
  20. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I have two grandmothers and one grandmother-in-law that if I talk to them, I can see in their eyes that they don't remember me. It is sad. But the best part is that they don't know they have the problem and are not depressed or sad about it.

SteveJ, I'm pretty sure he is not plowing your mother's driveway so why are you upset. He did not mention names, address, or even the town. I think that in person, he probably handled it in a very professional manner with a look of understanding on his face.

If it were my contract, I would be confronting the other plow guy and asking if he had been taking money from her. I would show him my copy of the signed contract and ask to see his. I would ask how he sleeps at night knowing he is getting paid for not doing the work.

The lady is not the issue, the situation is the issue.