1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why I buy Ford

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by nor'easter1, Dec 3, 2014.

1. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

First storm of season and first hilly road I encounter and wham I'm slipping all over the road. Figure my tires are old and with the slushy mess out I should have bought new tires. Limp the truck a 2008 f350 xlt gas with 8'6 straight Xblade through the storm and she works better as time goes on. The next day I wonder is my four wheel drive broke. I turn the electronic knob on and here the click drive on dry pavement and no 4 wheel drive. Son of a gun I plowed the 5" of slush with no four wheel drive (I do have a poly caster on however.) Anyway I have a new truck on order so the last thing I want to do is put money into this one. My mechanic says he's why you buy ford, your vacuum seal is broken but ford gives you the manuel locking hubs so lock the hubs full time and when you need it turn the dial and boom your in business. I don't believe Chevy or Dodge give you this critical second chance for me I avoided repair costs and can limp the truck to the trade in line.
  2. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Ford makes the best plow truck for sure. Little things make the difference.
    But they could be better...

I want all snow plow prep trucks to get..

Rear window defroster...
    Electric defrost on the bottom 3" of the windshield..
    Heated wipers...
    Cab lights and mirror lights that strobe..
    Extra bright reverse lights...
    Duct work that puts hot air to your LEFT foot..
    Dual batteries..
    Even larger mirrors..at least 2" wider..
  3. Robinson_Cnst

Robinson_Cnst Senior Member

One of my favorite things about my 05 Ram 3500 is there is no hubs or axle disconnect. Simply pull the lever back and your in 4x4. Less parts = less problems imo.
  4. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Just for future reference, you should always have your front hubs manually locked in when plowing. Auto locking hubs unlock and re-lock every time the vehicle changes direction (forward to reverse and reverse to forward). This constant switching in and out is very hard on the hubs and will damage them if you leave them in the auto position. This is why they have the manual setting on them. I believe this is covered in the owners manual, (is in mine).
  5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Mirrors are perfect insize now

Rear defrog. No need for window at all

Agreed on most other things
  6. Mike NY

Mike NY Senior Member
    from zone 5

Outside Temp would be nice w/ plow prep.
  7. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

until the CV joint explodes and takes out the transfer case, transmission, all the wiring, fuel lines, and sometimes floorboards of the truck .
  8. tjctransport

i never have that problem, because i refuse to own a truck with electric 4X4. manual shift and hubs, or i don't own it.
  9. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Had a Ford to just exactly that...never a Dodge.
  10. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I have found greasing it regularly (every oil change eliminates this), it's called maintenance.

why would you let it go to the point it explodes?
    Most of the time they only go on trucks with extreme lifts.

oh never mind, you must be talking about the cv joint on the fords....
    my bad
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Same here and it can be a b!tch finding trucks without electronic shift 4X4
  13. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

This is what I do. Lock them in manually,
  14. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

That's the problem, looking at used low mileage trucks they are almost all electronic shift. My electric shift leaves me stranded fairly often. Vehicles today are like women, very complicated.
  15. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, i used to be the same way, only man shift and man hubs, but i got sick of having to get out of the truck every afternoon to lock in my hubs so i could get up the little hill into the field where i dumped my grass/leaves. So my newest truck, i went with auto trans/auto hubs. Much better now, and like i said, if you manually lock auto hubs when plowing, you do away with 90% of 4x4 issues. JMO
  16. jimslawnsnow

jimslawnsnow PlowSite Fanatic
    from mn

when I had mine the seal was always out. on my dodge I never have had a problem. the ford never had a plow. the dodge has had it since new in 06
  17. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

Lesson learned! You get a different opinion from everyone on lock em don't. Sales guy said why bother locking if you have an electric switch so I didn't. also when I went to manually lock driver side it was frozen in the sense of rust so I had to take it off and turn it on a work bench. Safe to say she will be in the locked position until January when the new truck is due in.
  18. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I'm looking into replacing my '08 F-350, there's some great incentives going on and I have the cash to buy not finance. I email the specs of what I'm looking for to the sales guy I've bought from before at my local Ford dealer. He does a search and comes back with a few trucks that are close but they all have electronic shift. I'm already having a hard enough time with the idea of going from a manual trans to an auto and don't want mickey mouse 4wd.
    I'm being told it's 8wks to build a truck they way I want, guess I'll wait if I decide to move forward.
  19. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

It appears you have to stick with an XL to get manual shift although I haven't checked with the dealer yet. Being able to shift into 4wd at the flick of a switch is nice until you have problems and then it gets expensive.
  20. tjctransport

because the dodge does not come from the factory with zirk fittings.
    and the trucks i am talking about are serviced every time they are returned from rental.
    every single one of the gold plated dodges have had the drive shaft blow out at least once, to the tune of a $12,000 repair.
    this is the main reason they are phasing out the dodges from the fleet.
    but with over 100 trucks, it will take a year or so to get rid of them all.
    and the oldest one is only 3 years old.