1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why I am Done Buying Parts Mail Order

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Oct 29, 2001.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Ok,

I used to buy some of my parts from a mail order company, to stock my invintory. Ok more like a lot of parts. I call and place an order last monday, all the parts are in stock. Yet the order isn't being shipped till tommorrow. Why does it take over a week to pack an order, I know they are busy this time of the year, but still.

So from now on, all my parts go from the dealers shelves to my shelves. Anyways after you figure in the shipping cost, how much are you really saving?

Geoff

2. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I think alot of people who buy mail order do it because they might not be that close to a dealership. As to the length of time it takes to ship something, lets put it this way, I odered a hockey shirt from a company in Winnepeg Manitoba, and I was told it would take 4-5 WEEKS TO SHIP TO BOSTON! This just a jersey, not a heavy piece of steel. (Must be coming by dogsled). Unless I find it cheaper (by 10-15%) I usually just go to my local Fisher dealer. Geoff don't you have those on every block up in Maine :)

3. GeoffD

Well my dealership, is 30 or 40 mins away. However that is no big deal, when you pretty much have all of the same parts they do, and then some.

Unless, we need a frame kit, A-Frame, Head Gear, or Moldoard, we have it in stock.

Geoff

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I agree with you Geoff. Not worth the effort. I go mostly through a place in Bedford Hills NY about 40 minutes from me. I can call them and fax them my order then they tell me what is in stock. Most stuff they have. IF not they can get it next day in most cases. They pt it together for me and I cn have a guy stop and pick it up. I try to have two of everything similiar to you before the start of winter.

5. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Parts that we need immediatly to make repairs we get any where that has them, for stock item we do not mind waiting to recive them. Being that we use BOSS plows we don't need alot of parts and what we do use we can get at the local hydralic shop.

6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

A lot of the better auto parts dealers now carry hoses, couplers, and even cylinders and springs now. In a pinch I would go there. Most of the time this service can be handled in my shop in an emergency. After each storm an order is made up to replace any pieces we may need to. Staying on top is the objective.

7. guido

guido PlowSite.com Veteran

Geoff....

Where do you shop in CT? I used to have to drive up to SOuthford Garage from my place in Waterbury to get what I needed as far as plow and spreader parts. There were a handfull of local dealers for Fisher and one of those aftermarket parts guys, but they never really kept a good enough stock on "must have" parts. If the internet was what it is now, I much rather have waited the week and ordered online than pay the prices I was paying up there!! :eek: They are very nice people, but they know they have a lot of people by the pauline's and charged accordingly.

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Burquip in Bedford Hills, NY is my place. They offer excellent service.

9. GeoffD

Guido, I am way up from the back hills of maine,

Geoff

10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

LOL that would be much longer then 30-40 minutes.

How far north in Maine are you Geoff?

11. GeoffD

Past Bangor

In a Town with no name, Just a Number

We might have a name soon, only they have been saying that for the past 5 years.

Geoff

12. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

buying mail order

Some things I still buy mail order if not too complicated technically.
    But, I also feel that I shouldn't buy anything too complicated for a mailman to fix. by that credo, I can stay safe.:)

13. guido

guido PlowSite.com Veteran

I'm sorry Geof...!

Big OOPS there! I confused with Dino for some reason! Sorry again!

14. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Really Guido how could that happen???