1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why fords sit higher than my gm trucks? Or so it seems

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jvm81, Jan 15, 2014.

1. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

I have all 3/4 ton. Sme gas, some diesel. Some reg,ext, and crew. Parked next to a new ford today with diesel which was pretty quite running, made my 2012 3/4 4 door look small. That ford definitely sit or sat higher than mine. I jumped into a new one here yesterday, they sure make you feel like your sitting tall and riding large. What does ford do differently than gm to make trucks look high, ride taller and give the idea of bigness.

2. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Ford, just like the DOG WORLD, wants to dominate it's competition. Dogs instinctively want to be looking down on their subordinates. Ford is the big dog, and it's perception of such is, I'm sure, in it's marketing plan.

Bigger / Bad-er / Better. It works, as you can tell by the shear numbers of sales Ford has over the competition.

http://www.ibtimes.com/here-are-dec...-gm-ford-chrysler-toyota-honda-nissan-1525492

It's either that or GM doesn't want to add crash bars to the front of their vehicles like ford did (or does).:)

3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

It's the front suspension and straight axle that accounts for the majority of the height difference which also ties into the clearance under the frame rails too.
    As Dog so elegantly pointed out it's about dominance too.:laughing:

4. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I think it's more difficult (should I say expensive) to get an independent front suspension be effective, the taller it is, because of driveline angles of the half shafts. My Yota has the IFS, and it's way more difficult to lift the truck higher if I wanted to. The kits are much more complex and the cost reflects that.

My dodge OTOH was cheap to lift. I pulled the springs, brought them to the spring shop, they installed new leafs and rearched them, and I put them back in. I did have to realign the steering wheel center, but that was about it. Easy.. The sold axles that the other manufacturers are simple in design by comparison.

I used to think it was a "guy thing" that trucks appearance looked more aggressive, appealing, tough.... the taller they are. It's not only a man thing, but women think the same as well.... that is, the women who look at trucks in that sort of way....

5. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

You mean the women who... aren't interested in men, because they think they ARE men?

straight axle vs ifs doesn't make the truck taller. You can have a short solid axle truck quite easily. What ford does is ALL ABOUT STYLE. There is no legit purpose, and frankly, it reduces the UTILITY of a vehicle that is *supposed* to be all about utility. Walk up to the side of a ford truck and you can't even SEE over the bed rails, tailgate down is still shoulder height. Just how the hell are you supposed to load that thing?

6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

That is what a tailgate is for to load stuff:laughing: then you don't scratch the bed sides

I run Flat beds on my fords

You look back when Chevy had Straight axle They set up like Fords do
    So that IFS does have something do with how high truck sits
    Once Chevy went to IFS I moved to Ford to get the solid axle

7. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

I have a ford with a small lift and it plows, tows, and works.... Can load it perfectly fine.

8. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Not if you want four wheel drive, and not if you don't want the added expense or inefficiency of portal axles.

9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

The suspension travel in a solid axle vehicle all takes place under the frame rails unlike on a IFS vehicle where it takes place outside of the frame rails.
    Having 1/2 or short shafts limits the amount of articulation also limited the height of the vehicle. Yes their are long travel, high riding IFS vehicles but it comes at a greater cost to achieve it.
    I have no problem seeing over or into the bed of my 08' with a 2" lift, plus I can wash the whole windshield without a step or ladder. It must be genetics or something.......

Flat beds are the only way to go for a work truck, they just so much more versatile and offer better visibility too.

GM's IFS system offers a nice ride but comes up short in the durability side of things. a solid axle is the only front end for a work truck

10. jasonv

from kannada

You make yourself look foolish for ignoring half of what I said.

11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The Fords have a higher stance to allow the diesel tech's easier access to the cab bolts and hoses and lines under the front of the truck. It's much easier to remove cab bolts or unhook hoses and lines to pull the cab when you're not struggling to get underneath the truck because it is practically on the ground. :D

12. jasonv

from kannada

Look at jeep, around 1990. 4wd and low sitting, yet two solid axles. NOT PORTAL. As I said, it is very possible to have a low sitting vehicle with solid axles.

And no, I'm not talking about low as-in lowriders, I'm talking low RELATIVE to a ford truck -- you know, the topic here.

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Have you also noticed that a jeep is 1/2 the size of an F250 or heavier truck?

Go put a Jeeps front Dana 30 next to a Superduty's front Dana 60 or Super 60. Now how about the suspension components. Lets not even get to the frame.

14. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Tiny 1/4 ton at best axles, tiny little differential, about 1.5" of compression travel in the front suspension, and tiny little tires.

I'll go a step further and point out that all of them with exception to the wrangler were uni-frames that also made for a lower overall height.

And none of these features are conducive to a work truck.

15. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Well atleast Im not trying compare Jeeps to Fords That's just dumb

When the discussion is about how chevy sits so low to a ford

16. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Went out for lunch today - 50 mph + winds so just lovely - not alot going on. Parked next to a 2014 ford larietta (spelling) all white, 4 door. Owner is a cabinet maker and big hunter. We ate together. I think 22 ich wheels and asked how he liked it or why ford. "its big" were his words. He is 5'10 at best. Looking over his bed - he cant. Had to get a different hitch hook up for his trailers to ride even instsead of being pitched into the air. Sat inside with cab and yes its roomy, more so than mine I think, but boy you definetly sit up in the air and automaticly you get a sense that your all king sh&t riding that hi up looking down on everyone else. I am true GM man but I hope that new HD coming out soon will compensate some of gm's short comings.

17. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

18. tuney443

19. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I was waiting for someone to bring up Oskosh or Hummer. They are a speciualize limited production vehicle for a market where the buyer is less cost sensitive.

20. tuney443

Doesn't matter one iota.They're SERIOUS work trucks and they have IFS.When I need to cross 3' deep streams,traverse over Red Oak trees on the logging road,or just want that alpha male testosterone thing going on,then maybe I'll consider a Ford.Not saying they're bad trucks,because that's not true,I am just brand loyal to my Cheby.Thumbs Up