1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why Fishers over Meyers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ToyotaPower, Mar 30, 2003.

1. ToyotaPower

ToyotaPower Senior Member

Why is that I see more Fisher plow than Meyers? Most Ford, Chevy, Dodge dealerships put new fisher set-ups on their new truck to be sold automatically. Is it that Fisher plows are better than any other brand out there or is it that fisher is giving a better dealer pricing to most dealers?

I started out with a used Toyota truck and it had a Meyer plow on it. Since than I always bought Meyers plow set-up for my trucks. I figure for me it would be better to have all the trucks uniformed with the same plow set and extra parts that are interchangeable.

I had a fisher plow (which came with the truck from the dealer) on my 1999 F250 5.4liter and hated the heavy weight of it and the hard minute mount setup on it, the bed had a ( e-z dump tailgate spreader on back).

Why don't I see more Meyer plow????Mostly Every pass threads I have read have fisher set-up, why is that so? Is it because when they purchased their truck new the dealer had a fisher plow set-up on it already and cut the new owner a deal for the combo/complete set-up of the truck. :mad: :mad::realmad: :realmad:

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Not as far as I know. Fisher plows are made locally, in Rockland, Maine and considered a very tough, long-lasting plow that generally have very few repairs needed. You might want to do a search on Meyer, Fisher and any other types of plows you are interested in to get some others' opinions and experiences.

Since I do not own a Meyer plow, I will not comment on them. Someone who owns a Meyer might want to chime in.

3. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Well since Mick wont say it, I'll say it for the both of us. Meyer snowplows suck! :D No really though, I see alot of dealers here have Meyers on their new trucks sitting outside. I think most guys who buy the plow separate would rather have a more heavy duty plow and therefor they go with a Western or Fisher, or whichever namebrand they have the best access to in their area. What you are doing seems smart, you already own a Meyer, so you wanna keep everything Meyer, that is fine. As long as you are happy with the Meyer, that is all that matters. Not to start a war, but it seems Meyers usually have the most problems and they are the least heavy duty, but if you want a light plow that is easy to handle on and off, then there ya go. Everyone has their own tastes, some guys will only buy Chevy trucks and some guys will only buy Ford/Dodge trucks. Its the same with plows, there are guys on here who would rather shovel than plow with a Meyers plow and there are some guys on here who swear by them. All that matters is you like it and are happy with how it performs. Hope I helped some. Mike :waving: :drinkup:

P.S. Welcome to PlowSite!

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Ditto what Mike said, dealer pricing means nothing if no one will buy the truck,because it has low line plow on it. Im sure the Fisher costs more than the Meyer,but its probably a better investment and value. Im happy to see dealers are finally listening to the Truck buyers and putting quality plows on them. I see the same trend here,5 yrs ago every new truck had a Meyer,now most are either Fisher,Boss or Western. To all the fleet Managers who gave Meyers the boot :drinkup: :drinkup:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2003
  5. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

:D Hahaha John. :drinkup: Mike

6. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

only plow that sucks is one that doesnt work when it need to

i live out side phila and in my area you see at least 20 myer to any other plow on the road

ive been seeing all brand of plows being posted on this site with problems

ive only used myer plows and except for breaking the mount once
    because i rammed the curb ive never had any problems

some guys on this site need to grow up

cardoctor

god bless america:salute:

7. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Just for old times sake

Things to destroy in 2003 did include:

:gunsfiring: M______ Snow Plows

:) Jay

8. ToyotaPower

Western, Fisher, or Meyers

Most of the trucks in my area wear Western plow-set-up due to a Western dealer in area. So when I needed to order a pin or cable for my Meyer plow set-up after the snow storm, he had to special order it.
    While waiting for my order to be processes I was talking to him and asking him his opinion on plow? He tell me that he is always repairing Meyer plow and a few fisher plow.
    I own 5 Meyer plow set up and really don't have an issues with them. I don't know was he trying to sell me on his western plow or was he telling the truth?:confused:

9. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Here in western Pa we see mostly Meyer plows on dealer lots too. We've put a lot of plowing hours on our Meyers and haven't really had an issue with structural strength. The problems we see are mostly related to the power units--either bad coils or bad valves. I make sure we have spares of the critical parts. BTW, even the Western dealer has a good stock of S.A.M. parts for Meyers. The very first thing I do, before I even pull out of my parking spot, is run the blade up and down and angle right, then left. Occasionally something won't work, but it can usually be fixed pretty quickly as long as the parts are on hand. (Sometimes just the judicious application of a hammer will do the trick.) Someday I might get to spend some time behind a Fisher and get spoiled, but for now I'm comfortable feeling that Meyers has already shown me most of their tricks...

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'm curious. If you have to order pins and cables for your plow, how old is it? My Fisher has chains for lifting, is that what you have cable for? I wouldn't expect the mounting pins will wear out for many, many years. The plow will probably outlive me.

Maybe that's part of the difference, they're just built differently.

11. ToyotaPower

I loss the left frame pin and bent the hose leading to the piston on the plow frame.

12. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Cardoctor, I'm assuming you were referring to me when you said some people on this site need to grow up. Well I figured I could joke around a little, considering I did put the little grin smilies. I also said "no seriously though" after saying Meyer plows suck. I was just making a joke, I'm sure everyone on here knows I joke around alot. I dont wanna grow up, I'm a Toys -R- Us kid! :D Mike

P.S. Jay that made me LOL. :drinkup:

13. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Don't quote me on this but i believe Toys-r-us manufactures Meyers plows,they were originally intended for Tonka trucks but they could not hold up.I'm not sure how they made it into the commercial scene though?:D

14. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I believe the "could not hold up" part. :D Oh crap, maybe I shouldnt have said that, Cardoctor will be offended. ;) Well atleast I know Arc Burn likes me, right Arc? ;) Mike

15. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't own a Meyer plows, but I can tell you that I have seen many many problems with Meyer pumps posted on this site. It indicate me that Meyer is not designed for "commercial" plowing. If I were to pick a brand, I would pick Fisher in a heartbeat. They are a tough strong built plows suited for serious plowers like us.

But Mike 97 SS got it right. If Meyer plows is working well for you then why change? If you have the dealer that have the parts for your Meyer and can fix your Meyer plow, then you should be fine. There is nothing wrong with that.

It is just that some of us feel that Fisher is a better choice. :)

16. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

:drinkup: Hexx yeah Mike:waving: ,a little good natured bashing never hurt anyone;) I for one am a diehard Fisher fan but if you recall reading thru the "cracked Western/Fisher" posts,you'll find i am an equall opportunity basher:D

17. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

ok what about the sister to meyer the Diamond plow same motores and stuff except the lift hieght ,but much heavier blade and good curve to it :waving:

18. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Another consideration in this discusion is that Fishers are a Trip Edge Design and the Meyer is a Full Trip Design. I have 4 Fishers and 1 Meyer and I prefer the Fisher in my area on the coast that receives heavy wet snow. Plus in my area the reason that you see more Fisher than any other plow is because the biggest distributor in the country of Fisher plows is 10 miles away.

19. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Gordyo, how could I forgot about that! One of biggest benefit on Fisher plows is their trip edge design. Although I never tried the full trip blade myself, I have rode with my cousin who used to have a beaten up truck with Meyer plow before. The Meyer plow just keep on tripping. I thought that he broke it but it is just the Meyer design.

20. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Actually i think they made them for kids to put on their lego truck creations. Cuz as a kid everytime I built a truck out of legos i also built a plow for it and it seemed to me that just as with Meyers I was always losing parts or breaking the blade and lift when I played with them LOL.

>>>I still consider myself a kid still playing with Legos LOl

Jay