1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

why even have insurance ?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by nekos, Jan 18, 2007.

1. nekos

nekos Senior Member

i have been plowing snow for about 5 years and i have just had my first claim.
    to make a long story short. i cliped a plastic sign attached to one of those automatic bank teller thing's. there was just about 0 damage don't to the thing just the plastic tube up top poped out.

anyway the claim was for $5000 and about 20 minutes after i filed the claim it was denied and i was droped from my insurance. they basicaly said that because i was useing a plow truck plow snow that i was not covered on my $1millon liability policy. :dizzy:

any one ever have problems like this with their insurance ?

2. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Was snowplowing listed on your insurance. not all policies include it, and if you didnt ask/tell them about it . yes they will drop you.

3. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

i told my insurance agent that i needed it for plowing and he said okay, i was covered. Did you ever talk to them about it, or just assume you were covered.

4. nekos

nekos Senior Member

oh ya it was listed, this was the exact policy the company i work for < Snow Systems> requires you to have.

my auto insurance does not cover plowing snow. basicaly i was told when the plow is on the ground im not coverd by my auto insurance that's when the comerical liability kick's in. it even say's in the comercial liabilty policy that property damage caused by plowing snow is covered !

< .edit. >
    i don't think i explained that right the first time.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  5. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

so why dont you tell them that, i dont understand, you say you have the coverage, yet they dropped you???

6. Midwest BuildIt Inc

here is an example. you can see where it says business description. If its not in writing some where your not covered for it..I should probably have them change mine to plowing..

[​IMG]

7. nekos

nekos Senior Member

lol i don't understand it either !!!
    i have a $1million liability policy for plowing snow. it say's in the policy that property damage is covered !

when talking to the insurance adjuster she said ...
    i should file this under my auto insurance because my truck did the damage while i was plowing snow !

im waiteing for my lawyer to call me back, im at a total loss for word's.
    this makes 0 sense to me.

8. nekos

nekos Senior Member

not only do i have the same policy as you i have it with the same company.
    im pretty sure we would have the same weasel of an agent as well... Kevin W. Kulma ring a bell ?

<.EDIT .>
    didn't see your insurance adjusters name at the bottom when i first looked .

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  9. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Wow , let me know what happens? Ive never had a claim with them in my 5 years of business so i have no more insight. They should pay for the claim if everything is how you say it is.

I worked for snowsystems too.lol. I ran a loader over at the Motorola site.

10. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Actually my agent is in peru ill. He is a friend of mine, so i went through him..

11. nekos

nekos Senior Member

the one in Deerfield ? i get sen't over there to help out all the time. i use to work the BG route with Greg.

12. Midwest BuildIt Inc

The one in shaumburg ...its the huge Motorola(small city) bye 90.

13. nekos

nekos Senior Member

ahh ok , i know what one your talking about . thankfully i havent been sent way out there yet.

14. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

I backed into a car last year and at first my insurance company said the same thing. you probably need to call thier main office and talk to a superviser. If you are unable to resolve this with them most states have an insurance department that investigates claims that companies refuse to pay. after much arguing I convinced them to pay on my general liability. when the car got fixed it ended up being a couple of hundred dollars more than the estimate, so when they paid this part of the claim they changed it back to my auto policy. Then I had to start arguing all over again. Finally got it straight after about 8 months

15. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

I have State Auto.My agent said that the snow plowing is covered under the auto.Which i have a commericial auto policy.Which covers if I hit something with the plow.My Liability covers my landscaping and other stuff.I have a equipment floater on my Liability policy which covers my tools for theft along with the plow.The number 1 flag I think of you not being covered for snow plowing under your policy is if they say you are covered under general liability policy ******** your Auto has to cover snow removal because you are removing it with a automobile.If they try to give you a liability policy under snow removal and parking lot sweeping RUN.I am telling you you will not be covered.

RCGM
    brad

16. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

hold on! so snow removal must be covered under your vehicle insurance and not your general liability. general liability wont do anything for you if youre plowing?

17. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Snowplowing ( or whatever you are using your vehicle for) needs to be on the Commercial Vehicle policy. Then, of course, listed as an activity on the General Liability. So, snowplowing needs to be shown on both.

18. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

WOW never had a claim in five years! We have claims EVERY year, back into cars, slip and falls etc etc etc it never ends

19. Midwest BuildIt Inc

on top of that, all my plows and other equipment that are mounted on the trucks, are also listed in my auto policy along with serial and model numbers... .

20. Midwest BuildIt Inc

havnt had a single claim, that includes snowplowing and all my remodeling/construction work too.