1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why don't more plows have downpressure?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Eclipse, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Eclipse

Eclipse Senior Member

Why don't more manufactures offer downpressure with their plows? As far as I know Snoway is the only one. I think it would be great for backdragging so why is it not being offered?

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I don't see the need for down pressure in what we plow. Even the blades on our tractors we never run them with down pressure always in float. I could see it being handy for driveways but if your better off getting a back blade if you have that much back dragging to do. JMO

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

because snow-way has a patent on it;)

4. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

SnoFarmer is correct. Down pressure is just one of the many patents that we have on our products.

5. Eclipse

Eclipse Senior Member

I did not know it was patented but does this mean that no other plow manufacturer could produce a plow with downpressure. They would just need to accomplish it in a slightly different way correct?

If this is not the case does this mean we will see more plows being produced with downpressure when the patent expires?

6. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Only time will tell.

7. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Have been plowing for 20 years without downpressure.....25-40 drives per Jeep. Don't see the need in our application.

8. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

HOLY COW!

snow-way has the patent on gravity? i would like to see the royalties off that. ;)

outside of that lift chains don't push too well?LOL

edit: heck if CJASON had one he would have to remove ballast everytime he put the plow down

Don't beleive everything snofarmer say's, did you see the strippers he picked out for our party? LOL

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  9. Eclipse

Eclipse Senior Member

I overlooked the earlier comment about a backblade. I agree that a back blade is a great way to backdrag efficiently and does a great job at cleaning off a property even better than what can be done with a front blade .

Those that have used a back blade are aware of what a great addition it is to a plow truck. Those who have not are not aware of just how great down pressure can be at times. Granted there are more advantages to a back blade than just down pressure but I was just tossing out the idea of why don't we see more front blades with downpressure. In my opinion it would certailny have it's advantages.

10. Eclipse

Eclipse Senior Member

For those that have said they do not have a need for it, I agree the current front blades do a decent job but I would imagine they would be even better with a little down pressure. Since I have never plowed with a Snoway I cannot say for sure. I was just throwing this out there for discussion and I appreciate the feedback.

11. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Yea... that's what i'd do..... :rolleyes:

12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

13. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

I believe that this is correct.

Aren't those Snowways the lightest plows in their class? So they sorta need some sort of applied down pressure to be as effective as a heavier plow.

It seems to me that the whole down pressure system equals out the effectiveness of the plow compared to heavier models. The real benefit is carrying a lighter plow between jobs.

14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

And Big Tim really liked you too:blush2:

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The lightness is an benefit, but when the snow is packed, or there's a layer of freezing rain on the top DP kicks a$$

16. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

LOL That was a good one!

17. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Amen to that. I love my DP. It can lift the front of my 6.0L diesel up an inch or 2, so you can imagine how much weight is being put on the blade now. We got 6 hours of rain after 8 inches of snow and boy did it help.

Cheers

18. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

It does the same to my Cummins........

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

LOL Thanks for the good laugh!!!