1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

why doesn't western make a back blade?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by birddseedd, Jan 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

why doesn't western make a back blade?

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Western does make numerous backdrag edges. I myself have one on my new Wide-out and I have installed many one various straight blades. Not sure about the V plows but they do make a bunch.

3. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I had a Western back blade on a 7.5' MVP that I had.

Switched to an 8.5' MVP and did not put the back blade on that. Not too much of a difference.

4. birddseedd

maybe i should have said back plow?

5. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Why would you want a western when there's companys that make the best?

6. birddseedd

which brand do yo prefer?

7. Triple L

from Canada

The origional, ebling

8. mishnick

Birdseed.... what do you mean by a backplow? Please elaborate, I have never heard of such a thing. I know all the style of front plows, I know belly scrappers and I know wing plows but a back plow? Enlighten us.

9. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

he means a rear mounted plow, look in the sig of the post above yours triple ls truck has a backblade

10. mishnick

I see the photo there??? But I can't see how this would be practical. Does it lift like a front plow? Can you pile with it? How can you see what your doing especially when there is a sander blocking your view. What is the advantage of such a setup?

11. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

driveways, i think 16' wide with wings out, saves time, nice for clearing in front of buildings and in crowded areas with the wings in it acts like a pusher box but on the rear, holds the snow in. the sander part you got me on that truck looks like it would be very stressful to operate and go through lots of alternators and batteries but it must work for him

12. birddseedd

ya, there right. i should have said rear mounted. i do want to get a back drag edge/blade from backdragblades.com. but next year would like to have a rear mounted. ill probably make it myself since i want one that will extend a bit wider than eblings.

but for the moment, ill have to settle with a back drag blade attached to my front plow.

13. birddseedd

How does it perform? do you seem to lose the abilitity to move forward once the plow gets full? how about on wet heavy snow? if the snow is packed? do the extensions have metal or rubber edges?

thanks. if i can speak to someone with one and get their experience then itl gigve me a good idea on weather i should go that route or not.

14. Triple L

from Canada

http://youtu.be/gkAR-7CFNNs

Here is a movie, there's lots more on my channel where you can see more :drinkup:

15. birddseedd

what do you do with the snow after you get it to one end. just start piling it up with your front plow?

16. mishnick

interesting video. Seems like a lot of extra hardware for the little benefit. Looks like it's main purpose is to catch what spills out of the V plow. May be practical for big parking lots but I think it would be "in the way" more than anything for small lots and driveways. A cheaper and more flexible route may be the wide-out. they push a 10" swath and have the wings to hold more snow in so you don't spill in the first place. Also, I noticed in the video that each time he piles he has to back over the pile behind him that the back blade left, adding insult to injury each time he backed up to begin another pass the back blade seemed to drop a pile of snow and make a new mess to be scrapped up yet again. I guess I would have to operate one to get a real appreciation for it but at this point I am not sold.

17. Triple L

from Canada

Im glad you dont like the blade mishnick, there was not dropping piles of snow at the beginning of each pass... Once your done you windrow it... Your pulling a 15' swath of snow, not 7.5' like a V blade or 8.5' like a blizzard or a blizzard knockoff... How can you not be more productive, 5 passes windrowing and your done at the end.... Guarantee the back of my truck wount look like every other plow truck all dinged and dented... Cant ask for better protection then a 1000lb piece or iron LOL

18. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

I think you're missing the point. What you see in that video isn't really the primary purpose of rear-mounted plow. Think of a loading dock or even a residential driveway... no need to back-blade, just back in real close, drop the rear plow and drag the snow forward a full truck length or two. You get a much cleaner and often wider pull than back-blading ever would.

19. Triple L

from Canada

A back blade will also make a front blade look stupid when plowing gravel lots expecially if theyre soft

20. birddseedd

ummm. eh?:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.