1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why does this always happen to Ohio

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dirtwork, Feb 28, 2005.

1. dirtwork

dirtwork Member
    from ohio

After predicting 3 to 7 inches in central ohio the estimate is now 1 to 2 inches of slushy snow and once again it is raining!If any weathermen in ohio suddenly go missing i swear it wasnt me :gunsfiring:

2. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Don't feel bad, it's not just you.

3 weeks ago they were talking 12 to 18 inches and all we got was rain! After that it was something like 6 to 10 inches and we got barely 3. Now this latest one started at 6 to 12, then went to 5 to 10 and now we are at 4 to 8. I'll believe it when I see it. A pox on all weather forcasters!

3. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Starting to switch over here in Columbus. I have been looking at different radars and the weather men here are either going to blow this one way or the other, first 3-7 then 2-4. The radar I have been looking at is in my view is looks like the 3-7. But who knows. Weather channel is still calling for 3-6 inches here. Their forecast has not changed as of earlier today.

JP

4. dirtwork

dirtwork Member
    from ohio

Yeah we had a storm similiar to that about a month back when we were supposed to get 10 inches an it was all rain. Sorry i dont mean to be complaining about the snow, i know it is luck of the draw. but i had to vent somehow.Anyone in the northeast need a sub this week... i will just drive to the snow if it wont come to me :rolleyes:

5. snow warrior

snow warrior Member

no kidding,i think we have made old man winter mad or something.
    i even took all the neccesary precautions: didn't mount plow or salt spreader didn't load any etc.!! cause that usually scares away snow

:gunsfiring: :gunsfiring: Rain :realmad: :cry:

6. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

Ohio Weather

I think when an inch of water can make 4-20 inches of snow coupled with lake effect you have some real problems predicting snow fall. Then add heat in ground melts the snow. This all adds to the problems of accurate snow fall predictions. Also snow fall and snow accumulation is two different items. We plow on accumulations not snow fall.

Go back to the old forecasting if rock is covered by 2 inches of snow I will be plowing. If rock is covered by less than 2 inches I will be salting.

Dave

7. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Indiana is the same way ....... :realmad:

If we could get 2 more 2-3" snows...I could cruse through the summer.

8. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

The weather guys here in upstate/central NY have not gotten any thing right this season... Current "Storm" :dizzy: started out as an 12+ in total went to 8-12, 4-8, an is now a 3-5 inch event. as of right now (10pm) not one flake has fallen. Hooked up the plow this after noon after cleaning up the truck, and now I am playing the waiting game....

9. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

there calling for 4" tonigh 100% chance 4" tuesday 100% 3" tuesday nigh 100%

Bring it on, we will take all we can.. I could got to bed for 4hrs, but i think i'll stay up.

10. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Ok, here is my take on the whole deal. All the internet weather sites have to sell advertising, so how do they do it. By the amount of hits that they get on their site. They then take this information to potential sponsers. The more hits that they get, the easier it is to sell advertising spots. How do you get alot of hits, easy, dangle the carrot, make something look bigger than it really is going to be, put out the hook. Accuweather is probably the best at this tactic with their little news blips. So you say what about the local stations , cable type weather places? It's also about advertising and making bucks. The more viewers or listeners that they have the easier it is to sell advertising, which equates to bigger dollars for them. Think about it, no way can all of these educated weather people be this wrong all of the time, no way! Some of the best forcasts that you can get are on some weather forums. Much better graphics, more information and constant updates, plus some good conversations. You may see several different takes on a storm, just put it all together and make your own decision.
    The only other thing that it could be, is that they are in cahoots with the grocery store chains, salt manufactures, snow removal equipement industry or anyone else that makes money off of all these ridiculas forcasts of late. Every time there is a big snow forcast, the oil company's raise the price for gas. These may sound a little extreme, however, something is going on behind closed doors that we don't know about. Just food for thought and frustrated venting.