1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why does the abs disengauge when you lock in 4x4

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by raptorman03, Dec 24, 2004.

1. raptorman03

raptorman03 Senior Member

I have a 1992 chevy half ton. is there a wire to cut so i can have abs all the time?
  2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Personally, I feel ABS in 4WD isn't that desireable in the first place. The way GM had it setup was basically to prevent rear wheel lockup as pickups are real light in the rear. This was a safety concern that they decided to address in the 1988 M/Y, and it wasn't until '93 or '94 that they went to a 4 wheel ABS. And I'm not even sure IT stays active in 4WD. The newer trucks DO, but if your in 4WD, your axles are locked mechanically. How they work this is beyond me.

I'd just leave it alone. Be glad it even works in the first place. They're know to go bad.
  3. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

The older 4 wheel drives only had the ABS on the rear axle. No you cant make it work in 4wd.
  4. tuna

tuna Senior Member

Shouldn`t the answer be obvious? in 4wd you don`t want the rear brakes pulsing while the front is not .Different wheel speeds front to rear cause a bind.
  5. PackRat

PackRat Member
    from Kansas

Personally, I'm amazed that your ABS is still working. I'm a diehard bowtie fan, myself, but that 1st Gen RWAL is unreliable. The ABS computers were known for failure.

I'd use it as is, until it fails, then pull the ABS fuse, so the light will go out.
  6. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I know my ABS works in 4WD on both my 95 and 04 3500s
  7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I have rw ABS on my '90 S15... it doesn't work either. Funny part is that every once in a while the light comes on, as simple as unplugging the computer and plugging it back in (by the master cylinder) and the light goes away again.... :p
  8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I take that back. After further 'scientific testing' (slamming on the brakes while on ice with my head hanging out the door :D) it seems to work just fine.

Hmmmm no wonder it always stops straight in the snow!!