1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

why does my truck overheat with the plow on?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by berlincam86, Oct 23, 2008.

1. berlincam86

berlincam86 Member

I have a 95 chevy 2500 HD pickup with a rebuilt 350 engine it has had a new waterpump, thermostat and hoses. The only thing i reused was the radiator. I also have a belt driven minuite mount plow with a 8 foot HD plow. I put the plow on to move and on the way my truck overheated. I tried differant angles and heights but it would overheat if the truck went over 1500 rpm. As long as i kept it under that it was ok. It was probably only about 40 degrees out but i have seen alot of people with their plows on so i was wondering what i can do to keep it from overheating? Is it just too warm out right now for it? Will it stop overheating when it gets colder out? Or is something wrong? This is my first year with both the truck and plow and they did not come together. Also, the engine has a engine driven fan should i check the clutch on it or should i go to electric fan?

2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I had a 1993 K-2500 with a 350 V8 that had the same problems. We installed an electric fan which helped some...but we still couldn't drive over 50 MPH or it would overheat still

Must just be something of the nature of those trucks.

3. berlincam86

berlincam86 Member

so im basically SOL.(Sh^$ out of luck)

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Installing a good quality HD fan clutch can go a long way to preventing overheating issues. More so if the current clutch has seen many miles.

5. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

IIRC, there was a Chevy service Bull. about this in the mid ninties. Check with your chevy dealer. Something about a lockup fam clutch.

6. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Our 03 HD did the same thing and a new HD fan clutch solved the problem

7. berlincam86

berlincam86 Member

Ok so everyone points to the fan clutch . I will change it and get back to you. Thanks.

8. PAGE2004

PAGE2004 Senior Member

Had the same problem years ago w/ a 85 F-250 . I installed heavy duty radiator, aux.fan,always carried 5 gallons af antifreeze, drove with the plow as low as possible.Try loosening the radiator cap and drive with the hood unlatched only at slow speeds... this helped a bit.One year I even used Electric dryer ( laundry dryer) prefferated 4" aluminum vent pipe , attached one to each side of the plowlights and ran them thru the grill for added cold air supply . it look really stupid and didnt work well.

Long story short ... I plowed for ten years with the heat cranked , windows cracked and always watching the temp gauge.

Good Luck

9. berlincam86

berlincam86 Member

Ok thanks.

10. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

Buy a diesel.

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

All are 80's and most of our 90's gasser's would overheat if we pushed them on the highway, we just learned to drive slower.

12. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Have had a new fan clutch put on every year I've owned the truck I think. Four in total if my memory serves. Pretty rediculous but there is alot written on here about it if you do a search

13. zombie26

zombie26 Junior Member

90's Chevy's are well known for this. There is a product that acts as a scoop that forces air over and behind the plow into the grill. never used it though.

I made a simple square piece of aluminum 6.5" X 16" that i bolted to the top of my lift arm, Now when I transport with the plow all the way up, that piece acts like a spoiler and throws air down into the grill! works great cost .75 cents to make and 2 mins to install.

14. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

I,m sure someone covered this already but if you dont have the fan shroud , put one in. I,ve seen a lot of engine changes where that piece of plastic never was put back in .

15. berlincam86

berlincam86 Member

My fan shroud is there and intact.

Zombie would you happen to have a pic of what you made to help me visualize what you are talking about. I think i know but a pic would help alot. Thanks.

16. zombie26

zombie26 Junior Member

I will post a pic tomorrow. Its super effective, super easy, and should be standard issue on plow frames.

17. berlincam86

berlincam86 Member

thank you. I hope it will fix my problem.

18. zombie26

zombie26 Junior Member

here ya go. may not the prettiest thing in the world. but my truck runs around 190 degrees at 60 mph. hope it works out for ya!

plow 001.jpg

plow 002.jpg

19. berlincam86

berlincam86 Member

that looks great but how would i put that on my fisher? I have that triangular thing on the top. I would think the triangular thing would be pretty much the same thing as your item. I think that would be perfect if i had just the arm like yours.

20. slone

slone Senior Member

I had that problem on my 2004 2500hd. I took it into the dealer and they replaced the fan. And i haven't had a problem since. I was told they had a problem with them and only sent out a service bulletin.and not a recall.