1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why does my battery keep going bad?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 70monte, Jan 8, 2010.

1. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I went to the autoparts store to have them check my battery and alternator because of the hight pitched whine I posted about in another post. They tested the battery and it tested bad. The alternator was putting out 14.5 volts.

I just replaced the battery in August 2009 to replace the one I put in in Nov 2007 right after I bought the truck. So this is the third battery in the truck in a little over three years. I'm getting the batteries at O'reilly's auto parts which sells Super start batteries. I don't know who makes them. Today I upgraded to the Superstart extreme which is their best battery.

The alternator is a new AC-Delcl 120 amp reman. I have taken off the wire that goes from the negative battery cable to the fender and cleaned it. I took off and cleaned the ground wire that goes from the positive side of the battery to the lower corner of the engine block.

Are there any other ground wires that I need to check that will affect the charging system and is there anything else I need to check to determine why my batteries keep failing. Thanks for any info.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Wayne - I'm sure you meant the wire from the engine block to the NEGATIVE side of the battery.

Do you have a high output charge wire kit on that truck? Napa sells them. 2 gauge welding wire. One for a ground from the alternator to the battery negative, and a cable with Mega Fuse to go from alternator post to the positive terminal of the battery.

I think ultimately the batteries you are buying are simply poor quality. Look into a nice Optima, Interstate, Exide battery. You want the best battery that will fit in the truck.
  3. Rubicon 327

Rubicon 327 Senior Member

I know this is a dumb question,..........but do you have a good hold down keeping the battery from bouncing around?

My guess would be poor quality battery also.
  4. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I did mean from the negative battery terminal to the block. I don't know why I typed from the positive side to the block.

I don't have the high output charge wire kit on the truck. There are no NAPA's close by. The hold down bracket is tight. I guess these batteries are just junk. The battery I just bought has a three year free replacement so if it goes bad, I will just get my money back. I wanted to do that today but the only other place closeby was Autozone and I don't know how good their batteries are either. I've read mixed reviews. I'm sure this battery will end up going bad also. Thanks again.