1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why does my 8ft straight blade continually fold down!

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by generalee31184, Dec 12, 2008.

1. generalee31184

generalee31184 Junior Member

I have a year old 8ft straight blade that is seems to me continually folds down on me when trying to plow. I have the feet on it and adjusted them over and over but it is still like catching even flat pavment or cement No bumps or nothing. Catches a perfectly flat service just like you were catching some gravel or dirt. Its really getting annoying and pissing me off! What I am I not doing right or not have set up right on this thing? Do I need to tighten the springs or something?
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  2. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Yes you need to tighten the trip springs. Dont get them to tight or the plow wont trip at all.
  3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Agreed, tighten the springs. Whoever assembled it didn't tighten them enough when they did.
  4. generalee31184

Is there any type of spec on how much to tighten them or?
  5. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

I was always told just enough to be able to slip a business card between the coils.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Exactly what bltp203 said. If you have that already then you might consider some new springs. They are like 20 bucks at most.
  7. generalee31184

I know to springs are not sacked as the plow is brand new hardly used. I am thinking I am going to blame the frame on the truck being too high. I did put a leveling kit in the front end of the truck when I bought it and the frame is sitting an inch higher then boss recommends but did realize it would make that much of a difference.
  8. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

I guess the attack angle of the blade would do something, but, the springs should still be able to hold it unless you really get the blade to dig in.
  9. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Its possible, but I am about an inch higher on the mount and I hardly ever trip. Let us know if the springs were adjusted properly.
  10. generalee31184

Well i just went and checked the springs with a business card and I can slip one in there at all !!! So I guess I shall tighten them up a bit and give it a shot before I start having to horse around with the frame on the truck again? I took the tension off the springs for the summer but never moved the inner nut so I just tightened them back to where they were, of course I never used the plow before that as I just bought it in the spring.
  11. generalee31184

Well I tightened the springs and gave it whirl today, it seemed a bit better but the son of a ***** still folded down on me a couple times on flat pavement! Someone mention there may be an adjustment to straighten the plow blade itself up straighter (as to fix the potential nose dive im running into)??? Anyone know if there is? thanks!
  12. generalee31184

So I just went out and checked to see if there is some type of adjust for that and I see nothing. So if I need to lower the frame down a hole, should I lower the frame a whole or maybe just turn the torsion bars down a few turns???
  13. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

As long as you have enough holes to lower the frame, that's the way I'd do it. Changing torsion bars is faster & easier, but then you run into that whole front-end alignment thing again...
  14. generalee31184

So I lowered the frame in the mount holes as I had room and been plowing like crazy the pass two days and no more tripping!!! thanks guys