1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why does GMC still exist?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by canoebuildah, Dec 10, 2007.

1. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

I am curious as to what people think about the existence of GMC with GM being in a tight fiscal position currently. There are no truly unique vehicles in the GMC line. GM could retain the GMC name and use it for the medium and heavy duty truck line.

Its got to cost them more money to run both Chevy and GMC side by side.
  2. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

i actually like GMC truck styles better than the chevy's. especially these new 08's, GMC looks 10 times better than chevy.
  3. kmwharley

kmwharley Member

For the same reasons that we still have Marines and not just the Army!!!!

Semper Fi!!
  4. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

Hummer is coded under gmc when probing exaust emmisions
  5. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Not too sure why. Recently diamler chrysler or whatever name they are announced they are ditching all the double branded cars and only going to produce 1 version. I'd imagine GM has thought about it but there is alot of brand loyal people, more like front facia loyal people around who like one over the other.
  6. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

GMC exists because they look a lot better than the chevy's do, always have and always will, they could stick a chevy badge on them and id buy it. I just like the flashier look.
  7. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

I agree with both of you guys. I usually prefer the look of a GMC front end over a Chevy, especially since Chevy went with the "transformer" front end in '03 and now whatever the he!! you want to call the newest body style. I do like they Chevy 99-02 body style better than the GMCs of the same years though, particularly the Chevy 01&02 HD with the taller hood.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I also like the gmc front ends better than the chevys. Really both trucks are the same, just everything from the fenders forward is different. Still like the gmcs better.
  9. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

my installer told me not to raise the boss vee in the scoop position unless your in stacking mode. :nono:
  10. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

Just a higher end version of chevy. It doesn't really hurt them to have it though. They just have to recover the cost to produce them through their sales. Wouldn't really hurt unless they were sitting on the lots not being sold. I also think that the 01 HD's look the best, but I may be biased on that one:rolleyes: I didn't like the looks of the new ones at first, but they are growing on me. I like the GMC better though. It's the first time it wasn't just the grill that was different on the body.
  11. ChevyHD4X4

ChevyHD4X4 Senior Member

What they said :nod:
  12. csx5197

csx5197 Senior Member

Its sorta like a truck version of higher end compliments.
    VW / Audi
    Toyota / Lexus
    Nissan / Infiniti
    Honda / Acura
    Ford / Mercury / Lincoln
  13. canoebuildah

Interesting thoughts so far but none that really compel GM to continue with two different brands. It sounds like most of you would be happy if the GMC line became Chevy trucks as long as the GMC styling remained.

How many of you wouldn't buy a Chevy if GMC went away? Would you switch your brand loyalty to Ford or Dodge? Perhaps Toyota or Nissan?
  14. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

I really don't get it either. If they were one they would out sell all the trucks and I wold be glad to here that ford is not # 1.

I had a 99 GMC. Then got the new 01HD Chevy. Then got an 03 HD Chevy and now have an 06 HD chevy but I am pricing an 08 HD GMC. Looks better to me and they did change the front end beside just putting a GMC up front. Thing is I feel as though to help chevy's numbers - I should buy chevy but then again......GMC just looks better!

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

In my pic it was out straight and then I scooped it! I know it is hard on the hydros to do so. you can hear the pump bogging down when you do so.
  16. dzrick

dzrick Senior Member

I'm not trying to be a smartass but GMC makes Chevy not the other way around:salute: So shouldn't the question be why does Chevrolet still exist?
  17. canoebuildah

Are you confusing GM (General Motors, the parent corporation of Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, Holden, Hummer, Opel, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn and Vauxhall)

GMC? (GMC, formerly known as GMC Truck, is a brand name used on trucks, vans, and SUVs marketed in North America and the Middle East by General Motors. In January, 2007, GMC was GM's 2nd largest selling light vehicle division after Chevrolet, ahead of Pontiac.)
  18. ChevyHD4X4

ChevyHD4X4 Senior Member

OK the real reason I owned a 02 Chevy HD and I liked the rounded front ends. And when Chevy when square I went to GMC. And my local GMC dealer is easer to deal then the Chevy dealer.

If GMC went away I would keep the GMC as long as possible and then get a Chevy.:D
  19. dzrick

dzrick Senior Member

I might be, Sorry.
  20. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Is this a rehtorical question? Why is Lincoln still around? Same purpose I guess. Same vehicles marketed for optimum market share.