1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why does everyone dislike Meyer?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mowmannnn, Jan 29, 2003.

1. mowmannnn

mowmannnn Banned

I was just wondering. I mean, there are a few guys on the board that run them, but, the majority does not care for them. Just wondering why?
  2. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Please understand that I do not own a Meyer plows, from with my experience on Plowsite, I have seen many posts about problems with Meyer pumps and coils. There would be a post or two about Meyer pump problem each week. Meyer is known as the part company.

Do some searching in this site. You will find quite some threads about them.
  3. bds landscaping

bds landscaping Junior Member

i never used one but by the looks of them they seem to be weak and not as heavy duty as other plows like western. boss and dimound
  4. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Their reputation for being unreliable is just to big for my liking.:nono:
  5. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

BDS, you left out a good namebrand, Fisher. :drinkup: Mike
  6. mowmannnn

mowmannnn Banned

I don't know? Maybe it is just we don't get enough snow down here so we don't have to push as hard as the rest of you guys! I haven't had to do anything but regular maint on my plow. I had a used Meyer before this one and I had it 3 years, I think the whole plow was like 7 years old. I never had a problem with it either.
  7. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

first plow was a meyer. It was so slow compared to the western's i could take a nap while waiting for it to angle:eek:
  8. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

In the early 90's, I had dinner with a group that included a Regional Sales Rep for Meyer's (at the time). He told me that "Meyers isn't in the plow business, we're in the parts business". Said it was just like razor blade business.....

Soured me on Meyers right then and there....

Plus, I owned one once and it was junk.

All our guys in Erie carry spare parts for our subs. Guess what brand of parts we carry, exclusively......
  9. elitelandscape

elitelandscape Member

Don't get me wrong here but Meyer and Diamond is the same company is it not????????

I have Diamond on my trucks basically because a friend of mine sells them. They work great. I have never had a problem yet "Knock on Wood"
    I replied to a post about plowing with a 1500 chev silverado and low and behold the stupid thing fell apart i replaced the transmission not 3 days later and it's a 2001.
  10. snow_man_48045

snow_man_48045 Senior Member

Yes Diamond and Meyer are the same company. Been is buss. since 1926.
  11. bds landscaping

bds landscaping Junior Member

your right fisher is a good name just forgot blizzard is coming up in the game to
  12. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Myers plows

had lots of them on my trucks over the years Never bent any thing on an ST model, and the mount frame under the jeeps holds up pretty well.

Still today though if I were buying new I would buy a western.

And I still prefer the permanent frame mounts for the lift kits, not the minute mounts. Of course, you guys know that I run belt driven, so life is simpler for me when it comes to hooking up.
  13. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I've had Meyer for over 4 years, they've been great. I'll admit the E47 pump is slow, but I upgraded to the E-60s and I love them now. I've had good product support here as well. I know we don't get half the snow you do back east, so I wouldn't know how they would stand up in extreme use, but I'm more than happy, and will keep buying Meyer. Its all about what works for you.:)
  14. mowmannnn

mowmannnn Banned

Well, someday when I have more money than I know what to do with(Yeah right!) I plan to get a 3/4 or one ton and a Western V. The guy I sub for has all Western stuff and he just purchased another V. I have ran them a little and they sure are nice, but mine is paid for and that makes for a big difference! All the paychecks are mine! My other problem is, I have been a Chevy man all my life and the 2003's look terrible with the new front ends! Unless they seriously grow on me, I will buy a Dodge or Ford!
  15. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Yes the 2003s look terrible. I started a thread on this very topic in the Chevy Forums a while ago and boy did the thread get alot of replies and views. Go take a look at the thread. You may have to go back a page or 2 to find it as it falls back as it gets older with no new replies. Its titled "2003 Chevrolet Trucks" by me Mike 97 SS. Mike
  16. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

meyer =first in the game an first in the name meyer snowplows. personally its all up to you the owner of your likings . i love meyers products never had any major problems an always got great customer service.i i bought a new one today it will be a meyer!!
  17. mowmannnn

mowmannnn Banned

I have a very good dealer here in Springfield. They will pretty much drop everything to get the snowplow operators back out in the snow.
  18. Mac

Mac Member

One Letter Two Number

19. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

one thing i could say about meyers and diamond.THEY BLOW!! funny thing my house and my shop are not even a block away from the dealer.i go 40 miles out of my way to a western dealer.now you say did i ever have a meyers or diamond???
    Yes two meyers stl 7.5 and a 6.6.i had a diamond for one season until the trip edge snapped off then the a frame bent.had pump problems with meyers and springs snapping right and left.my buddy bent the plow mold board on the right side.was in a 45 degree angle bent back.now my westerns have held up well.last night i slid on ice doing 30 mph and hit a guard rail head on with the plow.snapped a spring and a torsion bar on my front end but that was it for damage.no i wasn't plowing when this happened.i was coming off 91 to the rt 34 connector.the ct boys know where this is im sure
  20. windmill

windmill Senior Member

NOOOooooo not a Fff. . .Can't say it.

I too have a Meyer blade and can't say enough about the support I get from the dealership. They're 300 miles away and can have anything in the same day or overnight. I think there are a number of closet Meyer plowpeople out there, it's just that there are a few squeeky guys who keep chirping every now and then so it seems like the majority doesn't like Meyers. :)
    Mike 97 SS I am sooooo proud of you, not a bad word about Meyer. You must be fit to burst, what does it feel like?:waving: