1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why do you use warning lights when...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NEPSJay, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

Why do some of you use warning lights when your not plowing and or salting? :nono: I see too many people running around town with all kinds of lights flashin and blinkin for no logical reason. If they were used only when they are needed, i.e. on the jobsite, people wouldn't be so immune to them. If people see them on all the time they wont use caution when its important for you to be seen. If anyone can explain to me why one would use warning lights in transit, i'm all ears.
  2. Raydon

Raydon Member

Mine are only on while driving because I have forgot to turn them off.
  3. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

well, an honest mistake is one thing.... we all "forget" to turn them off sometimes. I'm taking about the folks who leave em on on purpose.
  4. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I always left mine on because I still have a 800# chunk of steel 7.5' wide in front of me. I might be travelling slowly, or something along those lines.

I suppose it partially stems from driving a wrecker, and partially from just using extra caution, even while transporting from site to site.

My first year plowing I got pulled over when passing through a small village for NOT running a beacon, ever since, it's always been on from the time I leave the shop, until I pull back into my driveway.
  5. Raydon

Raydon Member

It's funny how laws and enforcement vary from one area to another. My brother got a $125.00 ticket last year for having his beacon on driving between jobs at 5:30 a.m. He beat it in court though.
  6. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

I run mine all the time. I'm running $35k plus setups and need them on the road. Don't have time for some dumbass driver to not notice the huge pieces of steel hanging off my trucks.

Accidents cause downtime. Downtime means my wallet is less full.. I don't like that.

Who cares if they are blinding and make everyones lives miserable. Its a safety factor to our operation.
  7. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I suppose laws can and do vary from state to state and even possibly from town to town. Around here I would think you'd get pulled over for running your beacon down the road when not plowing.

But I honestly think that a percentage of the guys driving around with the beacons flashing do it because they get a feeling of being important or "hey look at me" type thing. Not trying to bash anyone here for doing it, and I understand your point Steve about wanting to protect your equipment. I'm always protective of my equipment as well. But personally I feel driving around with lights flashing and beacons going could possibly distract other drivers and focus their attention on the "flashing vehicle" instead of paying attention to the road and driving conditions.

8. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

i think some snow plowers love the attention .... all states have a law .. that clarifys unless you are apart of some emergency agency ... no lights on .. on the public roads ... unless your a county truck .....
  9. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I'm not sure about attention. At 4am there isn't many people out but snowplowers. I leave mine on because a) I forget anyways and b) with the plow I usually drive slower, and more cautious and don't want people riding my ass, or not noticing my plow.
  10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Think about that oxymoron you just typed- if the lights are annoying to other drivers and are BLINDING.... you're contributing to more risk of causing an accident by blinding another driver when the lights are not needed. Adding to your downtime risk....oh, and I think the other drivers being blinded care...I know I do as another driver.

8 years of plowing and I have been hit a grand total of once while plowing- the lights were off, I was stopped at a stop sign and the kid coming the other way was in a Grand Marquis (which are known to be the worst vehicle on the road in the snow- can't stop and can't turn) made his stop then proceded- the road turns a little going through the intersection and he couldn't. Hit my blade which I was angling left at the time (saw it coming and was carrying straight across). pushed me over a foot, burst a weakened angle hose and rolled the edge of the moldboard past the last rib (1/4" of steel- nothing to even care about- do more damage against a stone wall). I had my local shop change the hose and refil the system on emergancy call (could have done it my self if I wanted to) and went back to work in a little under 1 hour. No damage to the blade frame or the truck- and the accident would have happened blade or no blade (actually would have been much worse without the blade on) .

Lights are required to alert other drivers to a hazard on the road- a plow vehicle is a slow moving vehicle for street plowing, a tow truck loading is a parked hazard, a drive way plower backing in and out is a moving hazard- but when you're driving normally you're not a hazard- unless you have those blinding lights on.....
    and no, a wrecker with a car on the bed is NOT a hazard and should NOT have lights on, a wheel lift IS a rolling hazard at least around here.
  11. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

Your right on the money....thats the answer i was lookin for. Thank you!
  12. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

you are 100% correct!!:drinkup: :drinkup:
  13. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

on my last truck it was a lil on the cheap side let me tell you but everyone around ehre rolls around with the lights on...i dont know if they want to look cool or if they do it for a reason but if they doit to look cool or importnt eveyrone is seeing that everyone deos it..i never had a light on the top of my truck i couldnt afford the 20 bucks to spend on it had more important things like to save for a new truck lol...but everyone in my area does it so i dont know what the big deal is...
  14. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe they think that they are cool, when really they just look like a ****** that does'nt know how to turn off a light. :rolleyes:
  15. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Some just forget to turn them off, especially in the day light, There kind of hard to see. Some leave them on to be cool, the only time I have mine on is when I'm plowing or stopped on the side of the road helping a motorist.
    so how many of you use more than a roof mounted warning lights?
    Are you just making a spectacle out of your self, all lite up like a Fancy Christmas tree with all of your different colored lights flashing.
    In some states it's against the law to make your vehicle a distraction to other motorists IE; accent lighting.
  16. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

I leave them on all the time on our sand truck.. we are driving around town loaded with (plow+sander+sand+truck) lots of weight, and usually when stopping distance isn't the greatest (slick roads) servicing peoples homes and business. I want to make sure that someone doesn't pull out in front of me. Its not a guarantee with the beacon's on but at least I've given them a visual warning..:cool:
  17. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

when i drive my wifes lexus around town i dont run 4 way flashers to go to the store in july. Surely i dont wanna get hit and surely 4 ways mightget me seen more often but its just not practical. If your driving around town on public roads salting or plowing or stopped to help someone, then use all the lights you can. But it still doesnt make sence to me why people use lights in transit.
  18. I understand but what your saying, however King has a good point. There are a few of us that the rig is in excess of 15,000 pounds driving down the road. I do leave my light on if it is extremely slick from ice. I also keep my finger on the down button on my plow. Too many times that I could've seriously hurt someone from pulling out in front of me, and have had to drop the plow a couple times to avoid people. It does make people think twice when they see it and they are more cautious about what their doing.

Just to Clarify, I only leave it on when the road conditions are slick.....we get alot of ice around here.....:bluebounc
  19. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I keep mine on if the roads are bad and I have my plow on. It's added visability IMO. I've had people pull out on me, Try to squeeze around me when Im waiting to turn only to find out there's not enough room because I have a plow hanging off the side of my truck. I do anything I can to try to prevent things like this from happening.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2005
  20. DESTEFANO3782

DESTEFANO3782 Senior Member

Nepsjay Not To Be Rude But In Stead Of Tryin To Fight About Why People Run Around With There Lights On Just Dont Pay Attention. Some Of Us Take This Job Very Seriously And Making Sure People See Us Coming Is Very Important. Someone Smashed Into The Back Of My Truck At A Red Light And Ate 2 Yards Of Sand And When The Cop Came He Said,"what Are You A Moron Lady You Couldnt See That Guy Was Stopped A A Red Light With All Those Lights Going." If It Makes You Feel Better You Shut Your Light Off When You Not Plowing And Let Everyone Else Do What They Wish With Theirs.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.