1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

why do you plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by scooled101, Jan 13, 2009.

1. scooled101

scooled101 Senior Member
    from midwest

wondering who actually enjoys plowing an who sees it as another job. I enjoy every minute of it I take my wife and daughter with me for an hour or so ever time I go out. The wife actually wants to try it herself and see why people enjoy plowing.so we are going to let her have a crack at it tonight.
  2. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

I enjoy plowing, shoveling, using the snow blower, etc. Gives me something to do.......of course I also enjoy it since we make some extra coin for our company. I'm in landscaping, so I don't do anything else in the winter.
  3. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

when else can you drive like an ass at 3 am always fun to move snow!!!!!
  4. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

i enjoy it but its also a job
    a very very fun job
  5. scooled101

scooled101 Senior Member
    from midwest

well its nice to see that not everyone has gotten greedy and forgotten about actually enjoying this sport. And yeah it is just like a sport that i can do with my family
  6. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

fun and work. I have a lawn care company, so the service is provided to my lawn and landscaping customers, and brings in extra $ during the winter. There are times it seems like work, and times it is fun, depends on the account and the time of day. When you are hitting snow piles at 5am in the morning, then its fun lol.
  7. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

I don't know about it being a sport, snowmobiles are a sport. Plowing to me is work, not hard work, but work just the same. The night time hours suck. This year as of today I have put in around 250 hours of plowing and salting not to mention the countless hours of shop work repairing stuff in the middle of the night so after a while it gets real old. I can't think of a better way to make a living in the winter if you live in upstate NY and you have a summer only job though.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  8. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

love it and wouldn't picture myself doing anything else.
  9. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

I love plowing. Started my whole career doing it and have everything I have today because of it. The easiest job I ever had. The money helps too....
  10. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I enjoy it quite a bit. Sometimes the hours sucks, but none the less, not to often you can have this much fun, and get paid for it!!
  11. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I've always owned trucks and got my first plow 7 years ago and started plowing for extra income and have been plowing ever since. I have alway's loved working with equipment such as earth moving equipment and snowplowing kind of falls into the same catagory.
  12. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

My first few years it was fun. Pounding on a truck thinking I'm cool, etc. Than as I added equipment and the added responsibilitys and expanding routes, it became less than enjoyable. No doubt, its fun in the moment, but overall its a stressful life style that I wish I could pass up. Fourtuantely the profits can be high and its a job I'm still willing to do.
    Over the years now, I've learned to delegate responsibilitys out and take pressure off of me and the "fun" of it is coming back some.
  13. I don't know where else I can work 1 or 2 days per week and make $10,000 a month. So yeah I like plowing, mainly for the money. It is a fun job though and I find it makes me competitive with myself always wanting to get bigger and bigger.
  14. ff1221

ff1221 PlowSite.com Addict

I love it. Like mc1 said "where else can you drive like an a$$ at 3 am," I find it challenging and rewarding, I start out with a winter wonderland and finish with a parking lot, you can look back and see you've achieved something.My wife has started plowing our driveway, and I'm hoping she'll try some parking lots soon.
  15. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

70% of the time - FREAKIN LOVE IT!!!!!
    25% - Work
    5% - Massive panic/anxiety/stress, don't understand why I do it.

Plowing rounds out the business and provides good income in what can be a slow part of the year. And it's a good excuse to buy cool toys.
  16. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I'll add to the percentages....

Love it 50% of the time
    Hate it 25% of the time
    Fix the reasons I hate it 25% of the time so maybe as time goes on that 50 will go up...........and always in the back of my head the money really helps !!!!
  17. Get her trained man. It will save you on labor. LOL
    My wife works like an animal for our business. I doubt I could ever find guy as hard a worker as she is.

BTW, you know Huronview Express aka Ranlee Farms up there in your town?
  18. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

Because i can..
  19. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

20. Michael M

Michael M Member

I love it,seriously!! I enjoy being on the road at 3am in a blizzard with nobody else out there but plow guys, its peaceful. Also, did I mention very profitable.....payup