1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

why do some people put there bumper in front of there plow frame?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by hankhill, Nov 2, 2010.

1. hankhill

hankhill Member

didnt know where to post this, never quite understood why some plowers move there front bumper to fit around there plow frame that holds the pump&lights

whats the purpose?
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Because that is where the plow frame was designed to go. I think Meyer had that mount.
  3. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

On the old conventional plows, they went behind the front bumper and mounted to the frame. The bumper than was put back with that big "gap".
  4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

It acts like a big bumper cushion for when you hit a frozen pile hard. !
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Back in the 70's and 80's that's how all the blades came.
  6. hankhill

hankhill Member

awesome learned something new today, thanks fellas!
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

in some states it is required
  8. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

The Fisher Speed Casters didn't come that way. With the Speed Caster the frame went infront of the bumper.
  9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

In the 70's? My dad only had Meyers and Frink back in the 70's so I really shouldn't have said all because those are the ones I remember.
  10. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

yep 78 fisher speed cast here and its in front of the bumper
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  11. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

in 1994 (or thereabouts) the department of transportation required that plow manufacturers remove the head gear (pumps, lights, lift arm) along with the plow - thus the advent of the fisher minute mount, and western unimount.

prior to 1994, only the blades were removed from the truck. these are typically known as "conventional" mounts. in an accident, the lift arm would do excessive damage to another vehicle. imagine a truck T-boning a car and having that lift arm go through the driver side window of another vehicle - not pretty.

back then, the three most popular manufacturers of plows (for pickups) were meyer, fisher, and western. the fisher mounts came up from under the truck and the headgear went in front of the bumper (some fisher mounts did space the front bumper out a bit, but hardly noticable). the meyers and westerns mounted on top of the frame horns and required the front bumper to be moved out a noticable distance.