1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why do some guy keeps there blades straight

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by FISHERBOY, Jan 21, 2008.

1. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

I hav a very large problem with guys in my area not angling there plows when they travel, :yow!: i always angle mine toward the left, maybe they don't realize they could hurt someone, i wish something can be done :yow!:

2. rredd13

rredd13 Member
    from ontario

lol...what do you drive around..and look for this...its no differant than meeting a tractor trailer

3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Because some people dont use the brains they were born with...:D

4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I leave it straight. i like people to see what is coming at them so they know. I can also judge where the blade is in front. If they cant see a huge blade then they should not be driving.....

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I always drove around with my blade straight when I had a straight blade, I'm not the smartest tack in the box though.:dizzy:

6. foggyjr5

foggyjr5 Member

Small

You have a small blade, I think the people he is talking about have like 8'-9' blades

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Hey, are you calling my blade small!:D I havn't had anything smaller then a 9 ft since 88!

8. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

so you are drving down the road with a 9' blade, straight? Because "it's the same as a transport truck"

A transport truck is 8'6".

Trandsport trucks DO NOT travel on back country roads which are generally NARROWER Especially with snowbanks, etc...

That said, I love seeing these guys with their blades straight coming down the road. I always straighten my blade and give them a run for their money. All of a sudden they know how to angle their blade out of the way.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2008
  9. Chevytruck85

Chevytruck85 Senior Member

why does it matter!!!

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I never said anything about a transport and why do you take this tone with me. I have all V blades now anyway. Thanks for the heads up though, I appreciate constructive critizism coming form a guy like you. BTW I've had V blades since 98!:D

11. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

haha chicken anyone?:redbounce:redbouncewesport

12. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

exactly. i never think about it, how ever my blade lifts when i leave the last job is the way it stays till i drop it at the next site. (straight, angled, half way up, all the way up ) whats the difference

13. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

some of you REALLY need to grow up..... who cares how you carry your plow!! :dizzy:

14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I always ran with my straight blade angled fully to the left. If someone hit me head on they might bounce back to their side.

You guys think everyone is as smart as all of us on Plowsite. LOL

I just try to prepare for the unexpected.

15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Where have you been this year? Long time no hear.

16. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I got hit head on with my plow angled to the right.

The plow angled to the left, tripped and shot him off to the side. Not a scratch on my truck. It acted like a shock absorber

17. Ford_7.3_meyer

Ford_7.3_meyer Junior Member

I always angle mine to the left:nod: This year I had an old dude almost run me off the road because he had his blade straight with wings on a narrow country road:dizzy:

18. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

chill out people i dont honestly see the big problem with leaving it straight. and when i am using a straight blade i angle it to the right so if i clip a snow bank the truck wont be pulled into the bank.

19. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

the way you were talking I read you to carry your straight blade straight down the road.

For those who don`t understand why this is a problem, it sticks out over the lines and is unsafe for oncoming motorists. Some people don`t seem to understand that an angled blade takes up less width than a straightened blade.

20. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:lol if someone hit your plow having it angeled would not matter.

That hose would blow off the ram and it would collapse so fast it would not matter...

Defensive driving.
    yea some plowers do not care or do not think about it.

What do you do when you approach the city, state, road grater or county plow? Their wider that 8ft?