1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why Do Most New Trucks Come With Meyers Plows..

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mike 97 SS, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Hey guys, im just a little curious to why when i see new trucks at dealerships with snowplows already installed 9 times out of 10 its a Meyers plow and not a Fisher or Western? I have been to Dodge, Ford, and Chevy/GMC dealers and almost everytime you see a new truck with a snowplow on it, it is usually a Meyers. There must be a reason why the dealership doesnt have other namebrands installed, are Meyers the cheapest and thats why the dealership picks to go with them? Just curious, very rarely do i see a new truck at a dealer with a new Western plow on it, and very rarely a new Fisher plow on it. Mike :waving:

2. BATTLIN_BLAZES

BATTLIN_BLAZES Member

i always wondered the same just doesn`t seem right!!!!!! it has to be a cost issue i`m sure!!

3. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

I wonder if it is a cost and / or location thing. If you live in Maine, do you see mostly Fisher ?

4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

It might be a cost issue (most likely is). When I picked up our new Western, there was a dozen new Fords there waiting for plows from a dealer. There were 2 Chevy 3500's from a township there as well. I know the plow dealer has a salesperson go out to the truck dealers and "sell" them on Western plows. The Townships come there because they have for over 20 years.

If I had 20 trucks, and called around for pricing, and (hypothetically) I could have Meyer plows installed for $2500 each, Western for $3200 each, and Fisher for $3200 each, as a truck dealer, which do you think I would buy? They install Meyer because of price, and stock a few with Western and Fisher based on what the customers ask for (so they always have a few on the lot). As we know, sometimes the brand of plow on a new truck can be a deal maker or breaker.

Mike, you might remember that Paul Miller GMC on rt 46 used to sell and install plows before they switched to Land Rovers and the big $$ cars. They sold all 3 big brands, and parts for the big 3, but they mostly installed Meyer. Why? Meyer was the cheapest.

When someone goes to our local Western dealer, and asks for a Fisher, he sends them to Shaw's Garage.

Our local Monroe dealer also has sales people go out to cities and towns to sell them on Monroe, and Monroe themselves go out and sell, and direct the customers to the nearest dealer that is willing to, or is equipped to install the plows. For instance, I mentioned in another thread that our Monroe dealer is in the process of installing 100 belly scraper blades and central hydraulics on trucks owned by NYC.

Make a few calls to plow dealers and see which plow is the cheapest..... ;)

~Chuck

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

It is the same here, except that if you go to a dealer and buy a truck without a plow and tell the dealer you want a plow installed then you can spec a plow. At the Ford dealer here the cost is the same for any of the three Fisher, Western, Meyer for the same size blade. (they have a price sheet) So one would think from this that the make money on a Fisher or Western but make much more on a Meyer because of the lower cost.

I never buy a truck with a plow installed anyway. I have seen some very poor installation techniques done on these.

6. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

I don't know exactly how it works, but in Cleveland... Great Lakes Truck is the local pool company from which dealers will buy trucks. GLT gets the trucks in, adds a bumper and plow and moves them out. They're all the same - just the colors are different. GMC, Chevy, Dodge and Ford all go through GLT in the area. So any dealer who wants a plow buys through GLT. Meyer is located in Cleveland and to the best of my knowledge has a contract with GLT for the plows. Last I checked you didn't see anything but Meyer coming through GLT. Perhaps it's a similar thing - they've got contracts with various truck pools to install Meyer when they're adding a plow. And - as others said, it's got to be a cost thing. They're slightly durable and they're one of the less expensive plows.

7. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

You guys bring up some good points. Chuck, funny you should bring up Paul Miller, they are the ones who put the plow on my truck, LOL. They did a really nice and neat job and never had a problem with the plow in all these years. They did however put about an 8 inch scratch in right rear fender with the plow from another truck by accident, and the truck was brand spanking new at the time. They apologized and asked us to just send them a copy of the estimate and they would send us a check, we did and they did, good people. Ahh Shaws garage, i was there last year with one of my friends droppin off his truck to get his plow fixed, then i had to give him a ride back to pick it up. They seem to do very good work there and know their stuff, i guess obviously they should cause thats all they do is plows, so i guess they are experts by now, HEHE. Mike :D :drinkup:

8. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

All fords here have no plow or 8ft fishers. All chevies same thing but dodge has some meyers plows. Never seen a western on a new truck ever. I found a body shop down the street and he had a truck all lettered "western snow equip" I went in and asked about plows. He says 8ft quick mount $2800 installed!! That sound right. I didnt see any new plows at this place some i am skeptical. I am going to contact western to see if he is really a dealer.
    Fisher wants $3600-4200 for an 8ft blade here.

9. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Up in Maine, most dealers have all fishers. You may find a few diamonds. The odd thing is sometimes the trucks with plows come from a pooling co out of state.

Geoff

10. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Around here its hard to find a blade larger than 7.5' on a new truck, my uncle just bought a new f-250 superduty and it came with a 7.5 meyer.

11. TRITONSNOWREM

TRITONSNOWREM Member

Out by me in the Chicago area all you see are Westerns. I think it's a location thing.

12. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Correct, it is up to the equipment distributor who has the direct shipment pool to order in trucks with plow prep packages. Then install the plowing and safety equipment and sell them to the dealers. The distributor may have a few brands of plows that he sells and may outfit trucks differantly. A dealer can factory order a truck with a plow prep package and have any one of the type of plows that distributor handles installed using the direct ship method. The dealer may also work with an equipment distributor that they choose, and go after the best price that they can get. Some of the time they will have to commit to a fixed number of plows per season to get their best price, just as the distributors do. Most dealers may have the blade upgraded to a larger size should the truck be capable of taking a the larger blade and one is available.

13. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I think a lot has to do with what brand the local outfitter sells. Here the major snowplow dealer sells Fisher & Western, so this is what you see at most of the local dealerships.

The dealer who won the State bid for municipalities is also a Meyers dealer, so most small public service vehicles here are equipped with Meyers or Diamond plows.

There used to be a relationship between Dodge & Meyers, Dodge sold a "Snofighter" (no w) where their pickup arrived at the dealer with the plow frame installed and the plow in the bed and a reflective stripe down the side of the truck. I don't know if this relationship still exists or not.

14. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Steve, not to be a stickler, but it was a Sno Commander. My brother had a 79. Strong truck. Had the hydro pump on the engine, and the push pull cable controls on the left side of the dash. Granny gear manual trans and 4.11 gears in the rears. When my brother had his, another guy at the school I worked at had a 79 too. The difference was, my brother's had an E-47 pump added when there was a problem with the factory set up, and the guy at work still had the original pump and controls.

Another friend had a mason dump, about the same model year, and he had the same underhood pump, and push pull controls. His had valve problems after the blizzard of 96, and all the dealers wanted to sell him a new plow pump for $1K. I sent him to Northern, and they set him up with new valves for a couple of hundred. Getting off topic here.....

~Chuck

15. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Chuck and Steve , you are both right with the dodge. 67 to 73 dodge called sno-fighter 73 to1990 it was called sno-commander.
    I beleive jeep had a deal too with meyers.

16. Chuck Smith

from NJ

I stand corrected, thanks Scott! :drinkup:

~Chuck