1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why do most guys put a VBox in a dump body?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Plow man Foster, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Ok well im just curious about why alot of guys i see put a vbox in a dump body.....
    someone please inform me!

i have tailgate spreaders on all of our dump trucks and Vbox's in the pickups
    I like the fact that the dump trucks have a bigger capacity to hold salt Never had any problems!

LIKE THIS! haha
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MidcoastMainiac

MidcoastMainiac Member

Probably because alot of guys don't like having to lift their beds as they are sanding. Not sure as I own a V box in a pick up.

3. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

I would think it has to do with having to add central hydraulics to the trucks. Its cheaper to buy a V box spreader. I also don't like the idea of having to raise and lower the bed all the time while salting.

4. Theshoemaker

Theshoemaker Senior Member

i like the fact that my vbox is "standalone" meaning it's easy to put it in anything from pick-up to dump (interchangable) vs the under tail's where you need central hyd.system. Also i too don't like having to raise the box on dump while salting. However, i do like on the under tails, the fact that they hold/haul more material. I guess it all boils down to personal preference just like anything else.

5. Plow man Foster

Yeah i guess it might be about raising the bed but most commercial trucks like dump trucks come with truck craft or Monroe dump bodies... perfect for a tailgate spreader because you dont have to do any mods

then all truckCraft spreaders are electric so its very easy to install.. Just hook it to the battery and run the wires

6. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I had a Truckcraft insert and spreader.......loved the unit......hated having to raise the bed all the time........and it was gravity down....so in very cold weather with an empty bed it would not come down.....

7. motoxguy

motoxguy Senior Member
    from WI

We bought a ex municipal truck this summer that has a vbox in it and i absolutely hate it, i would be able to get quite a bit more salt in the bed instead of that and i also hate trying to empty the thing it takes forever as well as trying to clean it out after we are done.

8. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We do both, we have V boxes in small dumps and on flatbeds, we also have a Sweneson Electric Tailgate, NICE UNIT. but it is kind of a pain to raise the body, then lower the body to leave a lot, so as to clear wires. It is great for larger lots. We did not need to add central hydraulics as it's an eletric unit.

9. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i never asked my buddies who drive for MoDot but i would think part of it is not allowing the driver to raise the bed and then forget and hit an overpass.

10. Plow man Foster

Yeah well in Michigan Mdot keeps their beds at a 45* angle while spreading salt..... so they dont hit overpasses!
    Also which i though was a good idea was in most of the trucks now are equipped with a sensor on the dump bed so when its in the air a light blinks in the cab reminding the driver that the bed is up....

I might install that is my dump trucks!
    My guys are good about letting it down though but even so! Safety first!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Because spreading by hand gets old fast.

12. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

It depends on how mulch you need to spread.

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

V box spreaders put the exact same amount on from the time they are full untill the time they are empty. Snow on top of a loaded V box doesn't seem to bother it as much as in a dump body. Also it always seem salt freezes on the bottom of a dump body where a V box feeds from the bottom so there isn't a problem. The only time an undergate salter is better is when you have to unload it when something breaks. A hoist is much better then shovelling. Personally I'd never run a undergate salter as they are a just a PITA for the type of work we do. A hydraulic V box is the best spreader hands down.

14. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

How Mulch is to Mulch to spread by hand.....:confused:

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If it's a small load I do it by hand, if it's a big one I call the wife. ;)

16. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

:laughing::laughing:...She has a Strong Back.....

17. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

The tailgate spreaders up till a couple years ago required central hydro. which is a good size cost if the truck is not equipped. We just got our first dump with a hydro tailgate for this season. This has been my impression; the electric v box we have used in the past are pretty much brainless, turn a switch on & go. The undergate requires a little more thought. I already fired one guy that claimed to know how to use it, but didnt have a clue, he wouldnt drive with the bed up, etc.

18. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

im very surprised to here you say that. I totaly agree with the more consistant flow on the v box, and lifting the box up and down is a pita, but i have had plenty of frozen v boxes, and i didnt like it at the time. the salt does stick to the dump body, but i never had it to the point of freezing up and not being able to spread it. I don't think i would ever again own or run a v box after having the under tailgate for what we use it for.

19. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

IDOT runs mostly v boxes for the overpass reason.
    Do a search and you will find some IDOT trucks with the box on one side of the overpass and the truck on the other....

All of my 5 yards have tailgate salters. It is a PITA to raise and lower as you go. But if you know your route (overhanging objects) and get a good feel when the pan starts to get low, you will be fine. I also pre-wet in the salter pan so that is nice too.

My 2 small trucks (1 dump) I have v boxes.
    Simply because there are part time guys operating the equipment and in the past we have had a 1 ton dump with a tailgate salter go to heck because it was constantly overloaded.
    Also when I need the dump to haul snow or be set up for chipping, you unplug the connection and lift it out and you're ready for the next task.

20. ACA

ACA Junior Member
    from Midwest

I totally agree, I prefer our V-Boxes over our tailgate. Consistent flow, regardless of the operator.